2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

54 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lets sign random guys because I am familiar with the last name and they had success many years ago!  

OR

Maybe we can scout someone new and not over pay and possibly get a guy with a way higher ceiling coming in on a lower price tag?

Our track record says we won't find a guy like Lawler for a long time. It is what it is, as Mike said.

Lawler is taller..Baikey is bigger....2 different types of guys...I wouldn't want Bailey to assume the Lawler role..Bailey gonna Excell in the younger version of Nick Lewis...big plays...tough yard plays...solid and reliable...that's what I want and see from him

Blake Jackson too may be the dark horse...dude has all the tools..runs a 4.4 and the best thing was a college QB and that's invaluable with the 2 qb rostering thing...from what I heard he was a lock to make the roster if not hurt

Agadusi as the Z intruiges me and who wouldn't want that big dude downfield looking for lobs and 50/50 balls?

Get Woli in the slot or just closer to the ball...we still have good cheaper options in FA when added to Demski..Woli and Bailey that would serve us well...and I wouldn't write off Adams either ..longer in tooth now but he still brings it and needs attention from defenses...but also brings that grit that made or receiver core what it was.

Heck...convert Harris into Nik Lewis lite...I bet that option to get a pass..shovel pass...drop into backfield with JA or BO would give defenses fits

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Lawler is taller..Baikey is bigger....2 different types of guys...I wouldn't want Bailey to assume the Lawler role..Bailey gonna Excell in the younger version of Nick Lewis...big plays...tough yard plays...solid and reliable...that's what I want and see from him

Blake Jackson too may be the dark horse...dude has all the tools..runs a 4.4 and the best thing was a college QB and that's invaluable with the 2 qb rostering thing...from what I heard he was a lock to make the roster if not hurt

Agadusi as the Z intruiges me and who wouldn't want that big dude downfield looking for lobs and 50/50 balls?

Get Woli in the slot or just closer to the ball...we still have good cheaper options in FA when added to Demski..Woli and Bailey that would serve us well...and I wouldn't write off Adams either ..longer in tooth now but he still brings it and needs attention from defenses...but also brings that grit that made or receiver core what it was.

Heck...convert Harris into Nik Lewis lite...I bet that option to get a pass..shovel pass...drop into backfield with JA or BO would give defenses fits

Good with all of that. Bailey should obviosly just improve with his role, not take over Lawler's - but lots more production to grow into.

Definitely want to see a bunch of new talent competing for snaps.

I think we've seen how Woli is going to be used and I do not expect that to change in the slightest.

I still think we can sign Lawler for what he wants but it means sacrificing some veterans. Some guys we really like or need. But Zach needs a legit deep threat as he does like to go deep. I can see us losing Stove. We may have to cut guys we've signed. Teams must be under the assumption the cap is going up. Why else are they moving the mark for receiver salaries?

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I still think we can sign Lawler for what he wants but it means sacrificing some veterans. Some guys we really like or need. But Zach needs a legit deep threat as he does like to go deep. I can see us losing Stove. We may have to cut guys we've signed. Teams must be under the assumption the cap is going up. Why else are they moving the mark for receiver salaries?

Dunk had reported that he heard it was going up to 6 million (not sure what it currently is).... 

Just now, Noeller said:

Dunk had reported that he heard it was going up to 6 million (not sure what it currently is).... 

That's a major bump. Thing is, last CBA teams thought the cap was going up. The Stamps & Lions reupped their qbs to $700,000 a year & it barely moved which negatively impacted their teams. So, we'll see. I bet Huff & Hervey was it (??) must have been livid after the present CBA was ratified.

2 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Almost seems like he’s just eye gouging the Riders with that amount. 

More like a spit in the face to the team that apparently offered 300…

I can just imagine the circle jerk going on at RF whilst discussing Duke leaving 40k on the table… to play for the greatest franchise in professional sports history 🤣

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Our track record says we won't find a guy like Lawler for a long time. It is what it is, as Mike said.

How can you judge any receiver when for years we had bums throwing the ball to them.   Things picked up and instantly our receivers were better once we brought in Nichols up until he was far to hurt and then suddenly our receivers disappeared again.   

Magically these receivers started getting the ball and moving the yards with Strev.... and then disappeared again with a really bad Nichols....  and then boom the moment we get  Zach ... Bailey, Lawler,  Demski and whoever else started getting catches and moving the chains again.    

The guys we had in camp last season looked great and unfortunately the injury bug hit a few of the new guys.   I have ZERO impression that this team cannot scout receivers.    Our issues in the past wasn't the talent of the receivers... it was Nichols and possibly the offense of LaPolice which didn't stretch teams. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Great points... I really do like the idea with Harris.

I also don't see what the issue is with the size of Bailey?  Him growing one inch doesn't instantly make him a deep threat and a much better player?   I could see if he was a tiny guy like Banks but he's not?