CHAMPS at Elks GDT

Nolby

The morning after observations:

Collaros did not have one of his better games- he was under pressure a lot but he underthrew many passes.

The Elks have an anemic offence but a pretty good defence

Gray in limited action seemed to do quite well and maybe he ought to get more work at right tackle. Missing Yoshi hurt. A lot, so experience for backups is vital

Mourtada was better last night, maybe even good, but still not good enough. 

That was a weird injury Andrew Harris suffered, but because he is such a critical part of the offence, we ought to be grateful we have #20 , Oliveira picked up very good yardage against a stingy Elk front seven.

Last night wasn't a night to give McGuire game experience, but I hope that O'Shea will give him more work soon when the game is in hand. Losing Yoshi hurt but losing Collaros without an experienced backup would be a disaster and render all the dominant games irrelevant.

Adams continues to underperform. Why? Is it time to sit him out? Is Meredith ever going to be an option?

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

Some teams just give others issues...for whatever reason Edm seems to not match up well for us and causes some issues for us offensively...it happens

That being said we still beat them...and pretty much handily and could have even worse ..that's the sign of a good team.

U never in football expect to beat a team 3 times and we did..moving on now...who's next up.. that's how this team thinks

They do have a good d and a good DC. Also missing yoshi was a big deal. 

I think a lot of people are forgetting the streak in 2001. That team won a bunch of those games in the last drive after under achieving. 

We played a team for the 3rd time in 4 games. And won all 3. Thats insanely hard. 

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I liked the adjustments they made in the 2nd half to take some pressure off collaros. Edmonton was selling out pretty hard to get pressure.  Neufeld had a very rough go in pass protection. Think he is a tad slow to be playing tackle.

100 percent too slow. Buck should've been helping him more which a wr chipping sliding protection rolling collaros out or rolling with an extra blocker. Some thing. 

42 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The morning after observations:

Collaros did not have one of his better games- he was under pressure a lot but he underthrew many passes.

The Elks have an anemic offence but a pretty good defence

Gray in limited action seemed to do quite well and maybe he ought to get more work at right tackle. Missing Yoshi hurt. A lot, so experience for backups is vital

Mourtada was better last night, maybe even good, but still not good enough. 

That was a weird injury Andrew Harris suffered, but because he is such a critical part of the offence, we ought to be grateful we have #20 , Oliveira picked up very good yardage against a stingy Elk front seven.

Last night wasn't a night to give McGuire game experience, but I hope that O'Shea will give him more work soon when the game is in hand. Losing Yoshi hurt but losing Collaros without an experienced backup would be a disaster and render all the dominant games irrelevant.

Adams continues to underperform. Why? Is it time to sit him out? Is Meredith ever going to be an option?

Agree on points 1-7!

It's odd that we aren't getting Darvin more involved in the pass game, but I keep hearing he's doing lots of blocking at the point of attack. 

I'll take the win, but it weren't pretty. Playing the same team 3x so close together seems ridiculous. 

Get used to Mourtada. MOS will keep him for the rest of the year. I just hope he doesn't cost us a playoff game.

Missing Hardwick caused huge pass pro problems.

Brady O was great and he better be, cuz Harris' injury looked bad to me.

Adams has regressed, but Bailey and Lawler have progressed to the point where it doesn't matter.

If Grymes could catch, we'd have lost the game.

Edmonton D showed the rest of the league how to beat us. Blitz, blitz, blitz and blitz.

This is the 2nd game we should have lost, but didn't. Good teams win ugly or just getting lucky?

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This is the 2nd game we should have lost, but didn't. Good teams win ugly or just getting lucky?

Why should they have lost? Because Edmontons defense played well? Well so did the Bombers D.... seems to me it was a sloppy game from both offenses but the Bombers got the plays they needed to win. They didn't deserve to lose but they have lots to clean up before a better team is on the schedule.

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Edm is a really bad team... 

They are not though. 

Their o line did a great job holding our d at bay for most of the  night. 

Their D gave our online fits for 3 quarters... 

They have a 24 yr old QB who has escapabulity, pocket presence and a cannon of an arm.

They are much better than their their record... fortunately, they are their record.

Morning After (still need to rewatch the game on the PVR).......... leaning toward Booch assessment that the L'ks are just a poor match-up for elements of our team, and taking 3 wins from a team in 4 games is an incredibly difficult feat. Take the 2pts and try to clean things up for next week at home vs BC. 

Clean things up. That’s the attitude. 

Be happy, but not comfortable. 
Be satisfied, but not complacent. 
Be confident, but not lazy. 
Be proud, but not arrogant. 

We went 1-0 this week. Celebrate tonight, get back to work tomorrow. We are 0-0 again and working towards 1-0 next week. 

Calm, even-keeled, methodical, relentless. 
That’s the O’Shea way.

42 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Get used to Mourtada. MOS will keep him for the rest of the year. I just hope he doesn't cost us a playoff game.

Adams has regressed, but Bailey and Lawler have progressed to the point where it doesn't matter.

Edmonton D showed the rest of the league how to beat us. Blitz, blitz, blitz and blitz.

Your first four points make sense but the last three are very confusing… let’s start at the end…

bombers won 30-3 last week and they should’ve lost?!? Interesting take… teams don’t accidentally win by 27 points…

edmonton showed how to beat the bombers by losing to the bombers… seems logical…

the Grymes pick would’ve ended the game… so you’re assuming the bombers offense would’ve just shut down with over 11 mins left in the game… bombers out scored Edm 10-0 from that point on and should’ve been 13-0… it would’ve absolutely shifted momentum but to automatically assume they would’ve lost is completely illogical…

it was by no means a perfect game but you make it sound like this team is on the verge of collapse… good teams find ways to win, even when they have a bad game…

54 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

They showed the league how to beat the Bombers? They didn't beat them though. And the Grymes drop wasn't at the end of the game....you make some good points and then follow by making some very weird points. 

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

Man they played the Derel Walker interview on CJOB and its even worse than previously thought. On top 9f saying the Bombers aren't that good, he completely threw the offense and QB under the bus. Said he's doing his job... Not his fault. Yikes. 

Bob: What'd you think of those comments Doug? 

Doug: I thought they were asinine... 

🤣🤣

A professional would start with I need to be better.

Any "should have lost" narrative is remarkably ignorant.  It's a stupid what if game.  The Bombers easily left two TD's on the field with redzone turnovers and FG's, plus another TD on a "shoulda" pick six.  Alexander drops a pick at midfield that probably would have led to more points.  Add it up, 10 point win with another 24 points that easily should have been scored.  We're saying Edmonton should win the game based on one play with almost a whole quarter left?  Get real.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

They showed the league how to beat the Bombers? They didn't beat them though. And the Grymes drop wasn't at the end of the game....you make some good points and then follow by making some very weird points. 

Agreed.  The blitzing worked for one quarter and then the Bombers went up and down the field against it.  The only reason Edmonton was in this game was unforced errors.

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

A professional would start with I need to be better.

Milt had a good comment on Walker as well on the TSN panel last night, basically indicating that there are certain players who are running the team now, not the coaches (I think I got that right?).  Dunigan said that he thinks the locker room is fractured in Edmonton.  Both Milt and Matty seemed to think that Walker's comments were not cool.

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Milt had a good comment on Walker as well on the TSN panel last night, basically indicating that there are certain players who are running the team now, not the coaches (I think I got that right?).  Dunigan said that he thinks the locker room is fractured in Edmonton.  Both Milt and Matty seemed to think that Walker's comments were not cool.

On the CJOB pregame show, they implied that there is a locker room divided by vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Apparently a vocal minority (where have we seen that before...) who refuse to ever get vaccinated are dividing the room. I suspect one is Harris, and that's a part of why he's not starting and instead being shopped... 

Just now, Noeller said:

On the CJOB pregame show, they implied that there is a locker room divided by vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Apparently a vocal minority (where have we seen that before...) who refuse to ever get vaccinated are dividing the room. I suspect one is Harris, and that's a part of why he's not starting and instead being shopped... 

We're seeing what that sort of attitude and division is doing in southern Manitoba communities, so it would probably a lot worse among teammates who are supposed to have each other's backs.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Its obvious that they will blitz considering thats 2 changes on the right side of our OL. Its not rocket science. Every D will test that. And since Neuf is more of a guard than tackle the pass pro will leak.

Hoping Yoshi is not out for long. Otherwise, we try Gray there or any of our American OL on PR. 

Some random thoughts. Nothing terribly in depth as admittedly I was socializing with friends with the game on in the background...

- Another red zone pick by Zach. Let's cut this crap out please, even if we are still winning.

- Pat Neufeld at right guard is good. Pat Neufeld at right tackle is not.

- That was the best Oliveira has looked all year. Good for him. Not sure what Andrew Harris' plans are going forward but hopefully there's a smooth transition there whenever Harris' time with us is done.

- Up and down night kicking. Punts and kicks out of bounds...Jesus....On the other hand, 4/5 on field goals. That said I'd still be nervous as hell if we're in a 3 point game or less during the West Final or Grey Cup

- Too many instances of bumper cars instead of fundamental tacking by our defence last night.

- Elks play calling, offensive scheme and decision making in general....questionable at best.

- Not a sexy win. But a win. 9-1 and onto the Lions....let's wrap up the West!

We were the overwhelming favourites to win this game. From that standpoint, squeaking out a win doesn't seem great.

But we won back-to-back games (which can be difficult for any team), beat them in their own park twice and won all 3 games. From that standpoint, it sounds a lot better.

Edmonton may not be great, but they're not a free space and played a great game.

I don't know why some people are of the definite opinion and the assumption that Grymes making that interception was the dif. maker in that game.......Who's to say that even if he comes up with that interception, that he would have taken it to the house....He isn't that fleet of foot and we have some pretty quick o line guys.....Also there was plenty of time left in the game ....we could have strung together enough to beat that hapless bunch in any event...I guess a few people were of the mind that we would somehow just quit ...   LOL....I'm sure Derel Walker with his b.s. comments was of that mind BUT he found out different

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I'll probably get a little flack for this but I like Brady's running style better than Harris. I know Harris is significantly older than Oliveira but Brady has the ability to go east and west while running north or south. I'm not saying bench Harris for him,just saying that when Harris's time comes or injuries happen(like last night) that I'm comfortable with Brady taking over and last night was seemless.