2021 Blue Bombers Season

BBlink

Just now, Goalie said:

Would they arrest Blake Wheeler tho or would it be handled internally and we wouldn't even know about it? 

If Lawler hadn't been in an accident (and instead had been pulled over at a check stop or at random) would it be different? The accident  means it is almost impossible to sweep under the rug.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

He is the captain of a Canadian NHL team.

see above post *

Just now, Super Duper Negatron said:

If Lawler hadn't been in an accident (and instead had been pulled over at a check stop or at random) would it be different? The accident  means it is almost impossible to sweep under the rug.

Back in the day, swept under the rug for sure. Today, idk. Ive heard a lot of tales of guys like oj simpson getting away with a lot back in the day. 

Don't take this as a defense of Lawler's actions, but it is possible that he had 2 drinks and then tried driving while looking at his phone.

I gave up on the phone while driving long before the law came into effect, because I drove like someone who was full-on hammered when I tried.

Just now, Booch said:

So Oshea said Lawler suspended for 1 game...and 1 game only...and I agree 100 percent with that....dumb thing happened....don't let it happen again....now we move forward, and this will in no way derail this group...plus it gives Rosie a chance to get some game reps

he also said he doesnt expect the league to add to it. And I think you and mos are right about it. Unless it comes out he blew some crazy high blood alcohol level. I hope it all also involved some sort of counseling or substance abuse program to support him. Every one makes bad decisions. Its also easy to be penitent once youre busted. (unless youre ac leonard) I hope he can keep his nose clean. I cant imagine a guy who would chronically make bad decisions like that would survive the fifo nature of the team. So Im hope full it will work out.

And yes, I bet he has a serious chip on his shoulder and plays his best football going forward. He's also 27 and on a 1 year deal. So im sure he is looking for an NFL shot with some guaranteed money after this year. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

he also said he doesnt expect the league to add to it. And I think you and mos are right about it. Unless it comes out he blew some crazy high blood alcohol level. I hope it all also involved some sort of counseling or substance abuse program to support him. Every one makes bad decisions. Its also easy to be penitent once youre busted. (unless youre ac leonard) I hope he can keep his nose clean. I cant imagine a guy who would chronically make bad decisions like that would survive the fifo nature of the team. So Im hope full it will work out.

And yes, I bet he has a serious chip on his shoulder and plays his best football going forward. He's also 27 and on a 1 year deal. So im sure he is looking for an NFL shot with some guaranteed money after this year. 

from all I know he is nothing but the ideal teamate, and his brothers got his back...not woried about it, and if he does have a bit of a liking for the liqour it hasn't caused him any performance issues, and sure he and team will have it under control.

The league can't add to it, well I should say shouldn't considering the Rider issue and they keeping it out of news and CFL knowledge, and only disclosed it after it was exposed via social media....be a forgotten issue in a few weeks...especially if he continues to play like he has

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

Suspend him for the season? Wtf?

What if he had ran over someone and killed them,  it's just lucky that nobody was in the path.   DUI is a serious offense and this team is ALL about being not selfish and being responsible on and off the field.   

Just now, Brandon said:

What if he had ran over someone and killed them,  it's just lucky that nobody was in the path.   DUI is a serious offense and this team is ALL about being not selfish and being responsible on and off the field.   

Well, thankfully, we are not prosecuted for the worst potential outcome of our mistakes.

He will undergo the legal process for his actions and, on top of that, will miss a game (along with the accompanying game cheque). 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

well then he would prob be in the slammer, so would be a none issue then anyway....and suspended for the year would be far excessive....that be like telling u u are suspended from work for a year at whatever it is you do...I'm sure you would be okay with that eh?...mistakes happen...people get second chances, and yeah lucky it wasn't worse.

Sad part, there were probably 100's of other people on the road that night doing the same, and in worse condition...if not more

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

For some reason based being on this forum since 2013 I have two thoughts when I see this name. One I often visualize a mad teenager behind a keyboard. Two how on earth do we cheer for the same teams? Flame away Brandon flame away.

How so?  Are you minimalizing what he did because you are a fan of his and he plays on our team?   

It's not like I want us to lose our best receiver and I take joy that the team is not as good now without him.   I guess how I difer from yourself is that I take real life as more important then my hobby of following a sports team.    I don't give two craps if someone works at a local store or if they are a star football player... when someone drinks and drives they should be crucified.  This isn't a 18 year old kid making a childish mistake.  He's a grown man why make excuses or try to find reasons like "He may have only had 2 drinks" ...  the man ****** up and he should pay the price.   

So in my opinion I picture myself as a responsible adult and sees the situation as how bad it truly is while someone like yourself looks like a clueless teenager behind a keyboard.    If you ever get a chance to speak with a family or a friend who lost someone to a drunk driver hitting them maybe you should ask those people "Well maybe the driver only had one or two,  he didn't do anything really bad did he".   

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

well then he would prob be in the slammer, so would be a none issue then anyway....and suspended for the year would be far excessive....that be like telling u u are suspended from work for a year at whatever it is you do...I'm sure you would be okay with that eh?...mistakes happen...people get second chances, and yeah lucky it wasn't worse.

Sad part, there were probably 100's of other people on the road that night doing the same, and in worse condition...if not more

If I was suspended from work for 1 day without pay... it hardly would make a serious impact on my outlook when in comparison if I were to lose a year of pay I would truly think long and hard before every screwing up again.  

DUI charges and fines are FAR more severe then most other petty crimes in our system ,  they do this for a reason.    

To play devils advocate... Leonard in Saskatchewan lost what 3 days of pay for "cheating"....  yet Lawler potentially could of killed someone and gets only 1 pay day docked?   That doesn't seem right IMO.  

10 minutes ago, Brandon said:

How so?  Are you minimalizing what he did because you are a fan of his and he plays on our team?   

It's not like I want us to lose our best receiver and I take joy that the team is not as good now without him.   I guess how I difer from yourself is that I take real life as more important then my hobby of following a sports team.    I don't give two craps if someone works at a local store or if they are a star football player... when someone drinks and drives they should be crucified.  This isn't a 18 year old kid making a childish mistake.  He's a grown man why make excuses or try to find reasons like "He may have only had 2 drinks" ...  the man ****** up and he should pay the price.   

So in my opinion I picture myself as a responsible adult and sees the situation as how bad it truly is while someone like yourself looks like a clueless teenager behind a keyboard.    If you ever get a chance to speak with a family or a friend who lost someone to a drunk driver hitting them maybe you should ask those people "Well maybe the driver only had one or two,  he didn't do anything really bad did he".   

If I was suspended from work for 1 day without pay... it hardly would make a serious impact on my outlook when in comparison if I were to lose a year of pay I would truly think long and hard before every screwing up again.  

DUI charges and fines are FAR more severe then most other petty crimes in our system ,  they do this for a reason.    

To play devils advocate... Leonard in Saskatchewan lost what 3 days of pay for "cheating"....  yet Lawler potentially could of killed someone and gets only 1 pay day docked?   That doesn't seem right IMO.  

I'm not sure even the devil wants you for an advocate.

Crucifying people for DUI?

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not an apt comparison. Leonard violated CBA rules and was punished as such. Lawler broke the law and has already been and will likely be punished further for what he did.

Don't compare apples and oranges. A better comparison would be comparing Lawler's DUI to Hughes' back in 2018.

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

thing is...your employer wouldn't suspend you from work for a day...most likely if a persons job didn't depend on a license they most likely don't even say anything, so thats a poor comparison. Not advocating it as my son was tboned by a drunk and had to have emergency brain surgery back in 2017, so I know exactly the effect it can have on a family.

I agree if it was an habitual offence...for sure hit the road, but a one time lack of judgment for something regardless of the degree of stupidity shouldn't define a person's career and life, and have them punished excessively...everyone deserves a second chance...if you see it otherwise it's your right

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

1 game is not the equivalent of 1 day though. 16 weeks including byes. 1 game cheque is 1/16th of his years pay. Thats nearly a month of work for a regular person. 

Leonard was suspended 2 games for failure to test and 1 game for assaulting a league official. Guess he couldve killed that official too, or who knows roid rage in a car and he couldve killed a dozen people.  

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

One has actual terms defined in the CBA,  the other probably doesn't.

Also extrapolating the worst case scenario is not something the legal system does. Otherwise every assault would be attempted murder.

The league set precedent with the Hughes incident. Did Ellingson miss any time at all? Bet you don't even remember his DUI.

His suspension is fair from a league perspective and he is not out of the woods with the law. 

Edited by Geebrr
Precedent not precedence