Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JCon

Covid-19

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Not good enough, should've been done prior to the outbreak, there will always be those out there looking to make a quick buck unfortunately. Even if they do make it illegal, any law is only as good as the level of enforcement taken by governments. Look at jaywalking, it is dangerous and people do it all the time, if police actually handed out more tickets for it, you'd likely see it go down...

Some of the more bizarre outcomes of this pandemic crisis like the hoarding of toilet paper, were unforeseeable and we have not had to deal with a pandemic before, so a playbook on how to handle this is being written now, page by page and will be available should it become necessary again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Some of the more bizarre outcomes of this pandemic crisis like the hoarding of toilet paper, were unforeseeable and we have not had to deal with a pandemic before, so a playbook on how to handle this is being written now, page by page and will be available should it become necessary again. 

I think what happened is, you had some who hoarded toilet paper and once it hit the news, everyone else did just because they thought they'd miss out.  Supply chain is fine.  Is it a cultural thing?  I recall a boxing day sale where they had toilet paper on sale and I was there for opening and it was 95% a specific ethnicity that literally rioted towards the toilet paper and went nuts.  I suppose if that culture generally houses multiple generations in a home, their TP needs are higher than most!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stable genius leadership, at it again.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489849-trump-lashes-out-at-gm-ford-over-ventilators

Yesterday on Fox:
 

Quote

I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators,"  "You know, you go into major hospitals, sometimes they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"

Tweeting today:

Quote

"General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!!"

btw.....GM sold the Lordstown plant, late last year.

Can America really continue to absorb the noxious fumes, from Agent Orange for 4 more years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-03-25 at 10:55 PM, Noeller said:

I don't put a ton into my RRSPs but I put as much as I can afford. I am really glad that I don't plan on taking any out for another 25 years. In the meantime, hopefully RBC is loading me up on good stocks... 

With how low the market is right now, I'd be purchasing stocks through TFSAs instead of RRSPs because...

1) In either investment vehicle, the sales would be exempt from capital gains taxes provided you buy/sell from within the plan.

2) As economic times are uncertain - by purchasing through a TFSA instead of an RRSP, the funds are still accessible without adverse tax consequences. That is, if I needed the money later in 2020, I could withdraw it from my TFSA without increasing my taxable income (not the case for RRSPs)... there are some more intricate rules for TFSAs here if you're close to your TFSA limit, but if you're well below it, you should be fine (talk to your financial advisor if you're unsure).

3) As most of us are, to some degree, working less, we'll likely be earning less income for 2020, meaning the main pro RRSPs have over TFSAs (an upfront tax deduction), is much less advantageous - as most of us will be in a lower earning bracket (thus saving less marginal tax) for 2020 at least. Of course, if you really like contributing to RRSPs, you could choose to carry forward the RRSP deductions to a future taxation year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17-year-old dies from coronavirus after being rejected from urgent care for lacking insurance

Written by Alex Henderson March 27, 2020

 
 
From Italy to Iran to Queens, the coronavirus pandemic engulfing the globe has been especially deadly for older patients. But that doesn’t mean younger people are immune to it by any means, and in Lancaster, California, a 17-year-old has died after being turned away from one facility because he lacked health insurance.

In a video posted on YouTube on Wednesday, Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris noted that the boy “had no previous health conditions” and that his condition deteriorated rapidly.

“On Friday — the Friday before he died —he was healthy,” Parris explained. “He was socializing with his friends. By Wednesday, he was dead.”

Parris indicated that the 17-year-old might still be alive if a medical facility hadn’t turned him away.

"Wednesday, he had gone to an urgent care for an ***,” Parris noted. “He did not have insurance; so, they did not treat him and sent him to (Antelope Valley) Hospital. In route to AV Hospital, he went into cardiac arrest. When he got to AV Hospital, they were able to revive him and keep him alive for about six hours. But by the time he got there, it was too late.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, do or die said:

Stable genius leadership, at it again.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489849-trump-lashes-out-at-gm-ford-over-ventilators

Yesterday on Fox:
 

Tweeting today:

btw.....GM sold the Lordstown plant, late last year.

Can America really continue to absorb the noxious fumes, from Agent Orange for 4 more years?

Those who are hoping that Trump's stupidity and malevolence has hit bottom, you will be disappointed. He, like all malignant narcissists, has zero empathy and concern about consequences of his actions. I predict that soon he will no longer be giving press conferences because he has not been getting fawning reinforcement and is being contradicted by many around him. Since his constant need for ego-gratification is not being met, he is losing interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Those who are hoping that Trump's stupidity and malevolence has hit bottom, you will be disappointed. He, like all malignant narcissists, has zero empathy and concern about consequences of his actions. I predict that soon he will no longer be giving press conferences because he has not been getting fawning reinforcement and is being contradicted by many around him. Since his constant need for ego-gratification is not being met, he is losing interest. 

Im just hoping the GM/Ford response to his twitter rant gets out before todays news conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

With how low the market is right now, I'd be purchasing stocks through TFSAs instead of RRSPs because...

1) In either investment vehicle, the sales would be exempt from capital gains taxes provided you buy/sell from within the plan.

2) As economic times are uncertain - by purchasing through a TFSA instead of an RRSP, the funds are still accessible without adverse tax consequences. That is, if I needed the money later in 2020, I could withdraw it from my TFSA without increasing my taxable income (not the case for RRSPs)... there are some more intricate rules for TFSAs here if you're close to your TFSA limit, but if you're well below it, you should be fine (talk to your financial advisor if you're unsure).

3) As most of us are, to some degree, working less, we'll likely be earning less income for 2020, meaning the main pro RRSPs have over TFSAs (an upfront tax deduction), is much less advantageous - as most of us will be in a lower earning bracket (thus saving less marginal tax) for 2020 at least. Of course, if you really like contributing to RRSPs, you could choose to carry forward the RRSP deductions to a future taxation year.

1) be careful on withdrawing money, in some cases there is a penalty if not held in the investment for a certain period. 

2) remember the TFSA has a limit of 6k

3) RRSP will carry over and can provide tax advantages for next year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

1) be careful on withdrawing money, in some cases there is a penalty if not held in the investment for a certain period. 

2) remember the TFSA has a limit of 6k

3) RRSP will carry over and can provide tax advantages for next year 

My RRSPs are a long term (don't need for another 25 years and don't even want to think about touching them) investment, so they're good where they are. If I was doing investments through my TFSA (which I also have) it is just far too easy for me to withdrawal, which is all kinds of bad. My TFSA is basic, with no investments within it, and meant more for emergencies. My RRSP, literally my retirement savings, is just fine sitting there and (hopefully) accruing some interest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe China's covid reporting one bit...  their cases completely spiked on one day only because they changed their method of diagnosis

Then they just announced it was over - at the same time they started a propaganda blitz to blame the states and change the original story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...