Covid-19

JCon

In case you missed it:

COVID-19 Reaches Mount Everest As Nepal Struggles With Record Infections

May 5, 202110:27 AM ET

The coronavirus pandemic has reached the top of the world, where it has reportedly disrupted the annual climb up Mount Everest and other Himalayan peaks just as the window for summiting the mountains opens up.

In recent days, reports have emerged of an outbreak at Everest Base Camp in Nepal, at 17,597 feet (5,364 meters), where hundreds of climbers assemble each year to adjust to the oxygen-starved altitude as they prepare to ascend the 29,032-foot (8,849-meter) peak.

The BBC and The Guardian have reported recently what climbers have anecdotally been seeing, and posting to social media — rising numbers of positive coronavirus tests and climbers with COVID-19 symptoms.

According to the BBC, base camp officials say there have been 17 confirmed cases after tests at hospitals in the capital, Kathmandu, where climbers with symptoms were sent for treatment. It said that staff at a private hospital in Kathmandu had confirmed that climbers tested positive after arriving from Mount Everest.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/05/993837355/covid-19-reaches-mount-everest-as-nepal-struggles-with-record-infections

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Vaccine rollout falls on him. I know we've had manufacturing delays so it's not all his fault but procurement sure does. 

And, yet, we're ahead of most countries, that are not hoarding, in receiving vaccines. 

I'm okay if we're only getting our equivalent share because this is a GLOBAL pandemic. The poorer countries are lagging because of hoarders. 

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Pallister listen to logic and reason tenor.gif

My worry is the study showed that the first Covid shot by Pfizer is 0% effective against one of the variant & 17% against another. It seems the second shot gives us maximum protection. We hjave no idea when we'll get that second shot. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

And, yet, we're ahead of most countries, that are not hoarding, in receiving vaccines. 

I'm okay if we're only getting our equivalent share because this is a GLOBAL pandemic. The poorer countries are lagging because of hoarders. 

The US is the worst for hoarding. I read they're sitting on up to 300 million doses.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My worry is the study showed that the first Covid shot by Pfizer is 0% effective against one of the variant & 17% against another. It seems the second shot gives us maximum protection. 

The US is the worst for hoarding. I read they're sitting on up to 300 million doses.

UK is pretty bad too, although they vaccinated their population on vaccines from Germany. 

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

yeah I need to know as well about the schools.

I work for the provincial remote learning centre. All our meetings were cancelled this afternoon to prepare documents for teachers about remote teaching. They didn't tell us what the plan is (wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a plan). But I think its safe to assume schools will be going remote.

We could have been preparing to help schools go remote for weeks... They let our admin know today and we had to rush and change everything.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

There is no other way to put this but it's ******* scary. We're all in danger. So much for getting that first shot into people arms giving us more protection & waiting safely up to 4 months for the second Pfizer shot.  I knew all along that  it was just lying federal & provincial politicians  trying to cover their asses because of the slow vaccine rollouts & their well paid lackey public health officials such as scientists, federal & provincial chief medical officers & doctors just going along with said lie.

Study: Single Pfizer dose only 30% effective against U.K. variant so spacing is riskier | Calgary Sun

It is amazing how differently this story is reported by PostMedia as opposed to the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/05/pfizer-vaccine-virus-variants/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

It is amazing how differently this story is reported by PostMedia as opposed to the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/05/pfizer-vaccine-virus-variants/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

You know what PostMedia is trying to sell!

19 minutes ago, WildPath said:

I work for the provincial remote learning centre. All our meetings were cancelled this afternoon to prepare documents for teachers about remote teaching. They didn't tell us what the plan is (wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a plan). But I think its safe to assume schools will be going remote.

We could have been preparing to help schools go remote for weeks... They let our admin know today and we had to rush and change everything.

oh man I think I will have to contact my supervisor I work in a school library, a middle school library to be exact  (and after I made this post I got a message from my work email, they're saying it's likely that k-6 will still go into class) though I think it's a little late in the school year for all this to go down (suddenly I can for some reason understand the reluctance, but we are in a serious situation)

Edited by iHeart

Lockdown will come way to late, indoor dining should stop for the rest of the month and schools should go online for the rest of the year, and any restaurant, pub, lounge who disregard the restrictions on their patios should have their permits pulled for the rest of the year if they are even aloud to stay open during a lockdown

Edited by bustamente

Have done a little more reading on the Qatar study referred to by the Calgary Sun/PostMedia.  It includes infections occuring within 2 weeks of vaccination which is before immunization is boosted, which will naturally drive down effectiveness numbers.  Will do more digging to provide a proper source for this.

Edited by Wideleft

I've said this from the beginning. If you're relying on any government to keep you safe. You're ******. People need to take responsibility for themselves and do what they need to do to feel safe. There's a certain amount of risk because of others behavior but at the end of the day the only one capable of keeping you safe....is you. 

3 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Lockdown will come way to late, indoor dining should stop for the rest of the month and schools should go online for the rest of the year, and any restaurant, pub, lounge who disregard the restrictions on their patios should have their permits pulled for the rest of the year.

If only there was a way to tell that this was coming so we could have been prepared....

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/doctors-sign-letter-to-premier-wanting-stricter-restrictions-to-help-health-care-system-1.5416002

Oh yeah, that's right. Doctor's must be trying to cause chaos and have ulterior motives...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/health-minister-doctors-letter-1.5788783

Are you allowed to say I told you so, when you publicly told them so twice and were proven correct twice or would that be "Monday Morning Quarterbacking"

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've said this from the beginning. If you're relying on any government to keep you safe. You're ******. People need to take responsibility for themselves and do what they need to do to feel safe. There's a certain amount of risk because of others behavior but at the end of the day the only one capable of keeping you safe....is you. 

Who's going to keep my grandmother safe, if she needs care? Who's going to keep my kids safe if they have to go to school?

I rely on the gov't to create and enforce policies and rules for everyone to follow and to use their powers to enforce them.

I can take personal responsibility and do my best to protect those that rely on me to do so but I can't protect everyone. 

I certainly cannot protect those that need to work but are forced to do so in unsafe conditions. 

I cannot tell those indoctrinated to believe that a magical sky fairy will save them, that they should trust science. 

It's all fine and good to say personal responsibility but that is a privilege that I have and many others don't. 

But, I get your point, it's just not as simple as saying everyone just needs to responsible for themselves. 

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Jesus i am so god damn tired of the selfishness of the few f'ing up the rest of our lives yet again. Man i thought my disdain for humanity couldnt get any stronger but here we are...

I jst shake my head when the anti maskers & anti vaxxers say they are doing it for our freedoms. No, they're not. They don't speak for me. Selfish pricks.

34 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Since you & I can't buy a Covid vaccine then just how is it up to us to keep ourselves safe? Your analogy is all well & good but it's impossible to achieve. 

5 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Have done a little more reading on the Qatar study referred to by the Calgary Sun/PostMedia.  It includes infections occuring within 2 weeks of vaccination which is before immunization is boosted, which will naturally drive down effectiveness numbers.  Will do more digging to provide a proper source for this.

Edited by Wideleft

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Just heard the some thing from an inside source. Expect school closures and a hard shutdown. 

Correct.  Starting at midnight on Sat through may 30th.  Retail down to 10% capacity too so stock up now!!

Edited by bigg jay

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Source just said that schools are preparing for remote learning after next week. But, was not very confident that this was going to happen. They prepared the same way prior to the November lockdown but never went remote. 

I know there are jokes about Covid not spreading in schools, but we did get out of the last wave without shutting them down.

Just now, Super Duper Negatron said:

I know there are jokes about Covid not spreading in schools, but we did get out of the last wave without shutting them down.

We did. I think that things are a bit different now with the numbers they are seeing in younger people, who are largely unvaccinated. Younger people getting infected and more severe reactions. These variants are serious. 

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I jst shake my head when the anti maskers & anti vaxxers say they are doing it for our freedoms. No, they're not. They don't speak for me. Selfish pricks.

Since you & I can't buy a Covid vaccine then just how is it up to us to keep ourselves safe? Your analogy is all well & good but it's impossible to achieve. 

I mean if you're looking for 100% safety you're already living in a dream world. If you have physical or mental limitations that hamper your ability to do what you need to do to feel safe then yeah my analogy doesn't work. If you're a relatively healthy individual, it's up to you to do whatever you can (which obviously excludes making/buying/getting immediate access to a vaccine) to FEEL safe. Keep in mind, feeling safe is often much different then actually being safe. But will reduce the overall stress you're facing. Case in point - wear masks, stay away from other people, use technology to help with what it can, stay off social media/news networks. Get off your butt and move your body. Whatever it might be...be creative etc etc etc...just stop relying on a government to make you feel better. They won't.

4 minutes ago, the watcher said:

The thing that has to go hand in hand with personal responsibility is enforcement  of the rules when people are to stupid to follow.  Both the government and some buisnesses have failed at doing their part which was to enforce .

yeah the half assed measures they used for the first and second wave completely ****** up how people are relating to the current measures. This government had about a 2 week period where they were doing well in 2020. Then....Restart MB happened and it's been downhill since.

Edited by Bigblue204