Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Noeller

2020 CFL Draft

Recommended Posts

“When Coach O’Shea called me and I saw his name pop up on my phone I burst into tears with emotion. Just to hear him say, ‘Congrats and we can’t look forward enough to having you with us and we’re so happy we got a chance to pick you.’ That’s such an amazing moment. I just kept saying, ‘Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you… ‘

“And so,” added Liegghio with a laugh, “I felt like I needed to call him the next day and have more of a real conversation other than just repeating ‘Thank you’ a thousand times over and over again.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/04/almost-surreal-liegghio-excited-learn-medlock/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's the old adage about hard work trumps talent but hard working talent beats everything. 

 

guys with all the tools get all sorts of chances based on that. I think where people like that get tripped up is at lower levels it is possible to just out athlete people and they never had to work to be better than anyone and when the playing field levels off they are unprepared for it. 

Agree. There's a required baseline level athletically, depending on the position and level of football. If you have that, or exceed it, you have a chance to make it. But, if you have it, and your scouting report includes "if he stays healthy" or "low football IQ" or "can't run patterns" or "difficulty shedding blocks" or "misses tackles" ..., athletic ability likely isn't going to save you, because someone in training camp competing against you can do that. You'll end up being a Crossfitter, not a pro football player. 

Edited by M.Silverback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Booch said:

To be honest measurable's are a huge part..almost to the point of being relied on too much...we use it extensively in training/recruiting and in getting guys looks at camps, but there is no better gauging of a guy than in live action, as in a great percentage of cases drills, practice and ex. games don't do a player justice...I am a measurable guy, and heavily rely on them to evaluate and aid in recruitment, and I like Orange's numbers, as well as some of the measurables that most general fans don't get the chance to see..there are others used outside of 40 time, vertical..3 cone..etc...and outside of Claypool was right at the top, and of realistic draft picks most likely not to be gobbled up by NFL teams and not available to CFL teams immediately I would have ranked him as the best WR prospect..

Comparison to Simonese isn't fair either...he was out of ball...off in a funk and I don't think his head was properly invested in the game, and still didn't look like it in BC as well..Had great flashes in practice..worked hard most days, had the look and tools, but something was not there...too bad as he could have been a top flight Canadian WR....Have yet to see Orange in person, but a day or two of watching him will be pretty key to seeing what he has...I like that pick

And further to the draft from what I hear/know we got the best, well rounded DB prospect in Hallett, and the one most likely to step in a CFL lineup and take starters reps of all the DB's available...and the Kicker is the best to com out of Canadian College ball in forever...I'd score the draft this year a huge success..A- in my opinion and that pretty dam good considering where we picked

I honestly think people are being a little too hard on Simonise. He's young and hasn't really been given much opportunity yet. Lots of NAT receivers don't come into their own in their first couple years. Here in Winnipeg he just got stuck behind a pretty darned good trio of NAT receivers who deserved the playing time they got, and in BC the Lions were not in a position to give him much opportunity because they could not realistically give developmental reps to him. I would like to see his next year before declaring him a bust. There are plenty of reliable NAT receivers who did bupkus their first couple years before getting their chance.

Edited by GCn20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I honestly think people are being a little too hard on Simonise. He's young and hasn't really been given much opportunity yet. Lots of NAT receivers don't come into their own in their first couple years. Here in Winnipeg he just got stuck behind a pretty darned good trio of NAT receivers who deserved the playing time they got, and in BC the Lions were not in a position to give him much opportunity because they could not realistically give developmental reps to him. I would like to see his next year before declaring him a bust. There are plenty of reliable NAT receivers who did bupkus their first couple years before getting their chance.

This. I don't think he ever even got a real opportunity here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanner Cadwallader   7th round draft pick

Coach O’Shea called me shortly after I was picked. That alone was just an amazing experience,” said Cadwallader. “As soon as I saw his name come up on my phone I was on top of the world because he’s somebody I idolized since I was a kid. 

“He played at Guelph, which is a short drive from my place. You go through Guelph’s facility and there are these 12-foot pictures of him. I’ve got books about Canadian football that he’s quoted in… he’s such an icon and a legend. So, to have that guy calling me – even just for interviews before the draft – it’s incredible. I keep using that word – incredible – but it’s how I feel.

“What I like about watching the Bombers is all of those guys seem to play with their hearts on their sleeves and they’re diehards. I’m excited to be a part of that because that’s the way I like to play.

“I love the culture they’ve built in Winnipeg. I can’t wait to be a part of it.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/05/just-love-game-cadwallader-thrilled-play-coach-oshea/



 

Edited by Mr Dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tursk said:

This. I don't think he ever even got a real opportunity here.

Oh I agree...and that caused his mind to be elswhere...I applauded him and pumped his tires the first year and a bit more than anyone...but i seen him slowly lose the desire to keep it going...he had always worked hard and put in extra in diffeent areas...then I think he got bummed out..and it affected it him a lot...too bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tursk said:

This. I don't think he ever even got a real opportunity here. 

He's been cut by the Bengals, the Bombers & the Lions. How can you say he hasn't had any real opportunities?  One NFL & 2 CFL teams gave him opportunities. He had an opportunity with the Dinos but blew that when he was ruled academically ineligible to play for the Dinos.  That would definitely raise a red flag by any pro team. If a player isn't disciplined to put in the time to  study in university then how can he be expected to be disciplined to learn the intricacies of an NFL or CFL playbook?

After dropping out of university he failed a drug test & tested positive for a banned substance when he was at the Bengals training camp. Then his CFL draft year deferred to 2018 from 2017 because of it.

In a real head scratcher, after being cut by the Bengals he went to play junior ball with the Okanagan Sun. How would playing against mostly kids a year or two out of high school make him a better player after going to an NFL camp? Why not sign with an Arena League team or stay in the US to train & get better?? 

Still he got drafted by the Bombers even though he never dominated as a junior player with the Sun. The he was cut by the Bombers after 2 seasons here & last season with the Lions. To me, all this falls on the player & not the teams who cut him. Simonise decided himself to take the long & hard road to the pros. It didn't have to be that way so it was his decision. He was given chances. In some cases more than one. It' was up to Simonise to take advantage of what was given him. Looks like he didn't.  Bad decisions played a part. Maybe the reality is he wasn't good enough. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tursk said:

This. I don't think he ever even got a real opportunity here.

A friend of mine was in camp with the bombers last year. He told me Simonise was out of it at camp. Seemed like he was not engaged at all. Also there was a story about when they went around the room and introduced themselves on the first day he said something really strange. Gave my buddy the impression he was not that bright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stevethe3rd said:

A friend of mine was in camp with the bombers last year. He told me Simonise was out of it at camp. Seemed like he was not engaged at all. Also there was a story about when they went around the room and introduced themselves on the first day he said something really strange. Gave my buddy the impression he was not that bright. 

Simonise wasn't in camp with the Bombers last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

The guys who were shamelessly pumping Simonise's tires want to believe they were right about him, so the story becomes 'he wasn't given a chance'. It's easier than admitting they were wrong in the first place.

I never pumped his tires at any point but believe he never got enough playing time. One can have a balanced approach to assessing things without being extreme. You should try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He's been cut by the Bengals, the Bombers & the Lions. How can you say he hasn't had any real opportunities?  One NFL & 2 CFL teams gave him opportunities. He had an opportunity with the Dinos but blew that when he was ruled academically ineligible to play for the Dinos.  That would definitely raise a red flag by any pro team. If a player isn't disciplined to put in the time to  study in university then how can he be expected to be disciplined to learn the intricacies of an NFL or CFL playbook?

After dropping out of university he failed a drug test & tested positive for a banned substance when he was at the Bengals training camp. Then his CFL draft year deferred to 2018 from 2017 because of it.

In a real head scratcher, after being cut by the Bengals he went to play junior ball with the Okanagan Sun. How would playing against mostly kids a year or two out of high school make him a better player after going to an NFL camp? Why not sign with an Arena League team or stay in the US to train & get better?? 

Still he got drafted by the Bombers even though he never dominated as a junior player with the Sun. The he was cut by the Bombers after 2 seasons here & last season with the Lions. To me, all this falls on the player & not the teams who cut him. Simonise decided himself to take the long & hard road to the pros. It didn't have to be that way so it was his decision. He was given chances. In some cases more than one. It' was up to Simonise to take advantage of what was given him. Looks like he didn't.  Bad decisions played a part. Maybe the reality is he wasn't good enough. 

He spent only one year here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Simonise wasn't in camp with the Bombers last year.

Yes he was.  However, he never made the final roster.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/06/08/45-man-roster-set-ahead-opening-week/

Quote

Released after a competitive training camp that included a pair of wins in two preseason games were:
(*Indicates Canadian)

  • Quarterback Bryan Bennett
  • Defensive linemen Brandin Bryant, Alex McCalister, Maxx Forde*, Tariq Lachance*
  • Defensive backs Amari Coleman, Tyneil Cooper, Joe Este
  • Running backs Larry Rose III, John Santiago
  • Offensive lineman Tanner Farmer
  • Receivers Corey Washington, Matt Hazel, Rashaun Simonise*, Dylan Schrot*
  • Long-snapper Zach Greenberg*
  • Kicker Gabriel Amavizca-Ortiz

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I never pumped his tires at any point but believe he never got enough playing time. One can have a balanced approach to assessing things without being extreme. You should try it.

My comment was about those who were pumping Simonise's tires. If you could just ignore the comments that aren't about you... that'd be great.

Simonise got all the chances he deserved and did nothing with them. We had better Canuck receivers so we cut him. It's just football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

My comment was about those who were pumping Simonise's tires. If you could just ignore the comments that aren't about you... that'd be great.

Simonise got all the chances he deserved and did nothing with them. We had better Canuck receivers so we cut him. It's just football.

Your comment stated that anyone who suggested that Simonise never got much of an opportunity was because they had previously pumped his tires. I responded by pointing out that wasn't necessarily true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Your comment stated that anyone who suggested that Simonise never got much of an opportunity was because they had previously pumped his tires. I responded by pointing out that wasn't necessarily true.

It didn't suggest that to anyone who can comprehend simple sentence structure. It started with "The guys who were shamelessly pumping Simonise's tires want to believe they were right about him...". If you're not one of those guys, then it's not about you and it's certainly not suggesting anything like what you're saying it did. You love to 'read into' what's being said, get it wrong, then whine about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pumped them...and rightfully so especially in his first year here, in which he didn't get a big chance...and wasn't for a lack of working hard in practice and putting in the time to be better...but in the second year things changed upstairs..upstairs being in his head...and it was noticeable, and any opportunity he may have got he screwed it by his change in practice attitude....and yeah it's a shame as he had the tools...looked the part, but lacked the mental part...isit/was it immaturity...or is there something else going on with him..who knows but many others like him who had it from a physical standpoint fell off the map because they lacked the other things necessary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...