2020 CFL Draft

Noeller

Considering the Bombers had no real chance at Mason Bennett, I’m pretty happy with this draft. Hallett is a potential starting safety down the road and we did need some national depth at receiver.  Drafting a kicker is fine too as I think this may be Medlock’s last year.

Choosing Hallett was a no-brainer and he and Exhume will fight for at least a backup safety role. Dheilly looks hella quick, Liegghio will be around for a while, and Kambamba might surprise a lot of people. Overall, not as productive as last year, but Walters & co know their stuff, so I will sleep well.

42 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I know this was probably answered at some point... but why did Ottawa and Toronto just get bonus "territorial" picks for no apparent reason?

Wikipedia has the best explanation:

Beginning in 2019, the CFL announced the two teams with the highest waiver priority will each get to make one Territorial Draft Pick (to be used to select a player born within their territorial limits at the end of the second round). The two teams that qualified for the 2019 Draft were Montreal and Toronto and these picks were made with the 17th and 18th overall picks.

This was the first time since 1984 that the league’s draft will feature territorial selections. From 1972 to 1982, each club had the right to pre-select two players from its region who would be exempted from the draft. That limit was reduced to one Draft exemption selection in 1983 and 1984, and then the practice was terminated altogether prior to the 1985 Canadian Draft.