2020 CFL Draft

Noeller

On 2020-05-01 at 4:55 PM, M.O.A.B. said:

Being an “NFL athlete” doesn’t guarantee a thing in the CFL. I like the fact that he was drafted by the Bomber but its remain to be seen if he will sign with the team and will remain healthy enough to stay.

On 2020-05-01 at 5:12 PM, Noeller said:

the whole "NFL Athlete" thing doesn't mean **** to me after Rashaun Simonise...

On 2020-05-01 at 5:15 PM, 17to85 said:

Or any other number of players. 

yeah because one player doesn't pan out you're done drafting big, fast receivers, reasonable.

Edited by tursk

7 minutes ago, tursk said:

yeah because one player doesn't pan out you're done drafting big, fast receivers, reasonable.

Listen...you're new here. You showed up right around the draft and started defending this kid out of Nevada, which makes me believe you either are him or the family (most likely)...it happens regularly. Thank you for joining the conversation.  Most of us have been around a long time, and have seen some ****. It's the "NFL body type with an injury history so he fell to the later rounds" thing that is HIGHLY suspicious because we have seen it so many times before..... most notably with Rashaun Simonise a few years ago.

Nobody is saying FOR SURE that Orange isn't going to pan out......it's just that there's sufficient evidence to be highly skeptical until proven otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, tursk said:

I agree for the most part.... however if we ever draft a skinny white receiver early on I will be skeptical :)

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm going to go with "no" because players exploding in a fireball, while entertaining, would really slow down play.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm going to go with "no" because players exploding in a fireball, while entertaining, would really slow down play.

But he is a "Pinto".

25 minutes ago, tursk said:

Boy you sure missed the point... 

Being a great athlete helps, but everyone in a professional league is a great athlete and it takes more than that to be successful. Everyone here hopes that every single draft pick this team makes works out, but we have all seen too many to count players who have great athleticism fail to make an impact to get excited JUST because a guy is a so called "NFL Athlete"

People bring up Simonise because he's a recent example of just that but we can go through a bunch of them. Bottom line every player on this team has to earn their spot and most of us take a wait and see approach to prospects. 

One man’s evaluation...
2020 CFL Draft Evaluation: West Division Breakdown and Grades

Bombers, like Calgary, continue to dominate these drafts. Not many high picks but GREAT value. Getting a top DB prospect, the top Kicker & several very good pieces in Dheilly, O’Leary-Orange & Kambamba. Smart drafting pays off.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/05/2020-cfl-draft/

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Boy you sure missed the point... 

Being a great athlete helps, but everyone in a professional league is a great athlete and it takes more than that to be successful. Everyone here hopes that every single draft pick this team makes works out, but we have all seen too many to count players who have great athleticism fail to make an impact to get excited JUST because a guy is a so called "NFL Athlete"

People bring up Simonise because he's a recent example of just that but we can go through a bunch of them. Bottom line every player on this team has to earn their spot and most of us take a wait and see approach to prospects. 

boy you sure missed the point. Drafting a player with NFL level athleticism in the 3rd round is generally considered a good thing. You're all acting like I said he is going to be the next Milt Stegall or something. This is a draft and reasonable people base their reviews on measurable things.

just me though.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Listen...you're new here. You showed up right around the draft and started defending this kid out of Nevada, which makes me believe you either are him or the family (most likely)...it happens regularly. Thank you for joining the conversation.  Most of us have been around a long time, and have seen some ****. It's the "NFL body type with an injury history so he fell to the later rounds" thing that is HIGHLY suspicious because we have seen it so many times before..... most notably with Rashaun Simonise a few years ago.

Nobody is saying FOR SURE that Orange isn't going to pan out......it's just that there's sufficient evidence to be highly skeptical until proven otherwise. 

Classic. I'm just an informed fan who observed the draft and making personal reviews of the draft picks. If you want to bring past biases in to cloud your judgment of the current draft that's on you and that's why my observations are more valuable.

Edited by tursk

3 minutes ago, tursk said:

boy you sure missed the point. Drafting a player with NFL level athleticism in the 3rd round is generally considered a good thing. You're all acting like I said he is going to be the next Milt Stegall or something. This is a draft and reasonable people base their reviews on measurable things.

just me though.

Absolutely disagree...at least, not ENTIRELY.....measurables are just a small part of it. 

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Absolutely disagree...at least, not ENTIRELY.....measurables are just a small part of it. 

and the fact that he has had multiple injuries pushed him down the draft board, watching his tape you can see that he can play. Whether that translates to the CFL that is to be determined but I think they got good value for where they were drafting. By no means do I think he should have gone in the first round but in terms of upside, to me he's most intriguing.

1 hour ago, tursk said:

just me though.

Measurables are only a small part of what makes a player good though. There's lots of great athletes taken in the 3rd round. Like I said the measurables don't really matter cause there have been plenty of players who have those measurables and failed to live up to expectations. It takes a lot more than just being a good athlete at the professional level because everyone there is a good athlete. It helps and it's something, but it's not the be all and end all. 

To be honest measurable's are a huge part..almost to the point of being relied on too much...we use it extensively in training/recruiting and in getting guys looks at camps, but there is no better gauging of a guy than in live action, as in a great percentage of cases drills, practice and ex. games don't do a player justice...I am a measurable guy, and heavily rely on them to evaluate and aid in recruitment, and I like Orange's numbers, as well as some of the measurables that most general fans don't get the chance to see..there are others used outside of 40 time, vertical..3 cone..etc...and outside of Claypool was right at the top, and of realistic draft picks most likely not to be gobbled up by NFL teams and not available to CFL teams immediately I would have ranked him as the best WR prospect..

Comparison to Simonese isn't fair either...he was out of ball...off in a funk and I don't think his head was properly invested in the game, and still didn't look like it in BC as well..Had great flashes in practice..worked hard most days, had the look and tools, but something was not there...too bad as he could have been a top flight Canadian WR....Have yet to see Orange in person, but a day or two of watching him will be pretty key to seeing what he has...I like that pick

And further to the draft from what I hear/know we got the best, well rounded DB prospect in Hallett, and the one most likely to step in a CFL lineup and take starters reps of all the DB's available...and the Kicker is the best to com out of Canadian College ball in forever...I'd score the draft this year a huge success..A- in my opinion and that pretty dam good considering where we picked

Edited by Booch

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

To be honest measurable's are a huge part..

Spoken like a true athlete. 

Not to diminish your experiences or expertise but I notice that people who do have a high level athletic background value pure athleticism more, and my theory is everyone is looking at things from their own perspective of "if I could do the things that guy does physically nothing would have stopped me" 

To me the work ethic and attitude and brains are a bigger factor than purely measurables. I mean if you're simply unable to physically perform the task yeah measurables are a big deal, but given that it's a team sport the individual athleticism in my perspective is secondary to a lot of other factors. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Not to diminish your experiences or expertise but I notice that people who do have a high level athletic background value pure athleticism more, and my theory is everyone is looking at things from their own perspective of "if I could do the things that guy does physically nothing would have stopped me" 

To me the work ethic and attitude and brains are a bigger factor than purely measurables. I mean if you're simply unable to physically perform the task yeah measurables are a big deal, but given that it's a team sport the individual athleticism in my perspective is secondary to a lot of other factors. 

don't get me wrong..I totally agree, and was trying to convey that measurable's will get a guy the foot in the door 9 times out of 10 over the lunch bucket type guy, with the work ethic and the desire he has knowing he has to do more than use his resume..that was my posts's intent with the comment on game action as opposed to just measurables and practice analysis

Gimme a guy with smarts and work ethics and run of the mill measurable's 8 times outta 10 over a combine star..especially when after viewing the 22 man tape and seeing what guys do when they don't have the ball..aren't the primary person in a play..a lot of the times where a player coasts through High School..JUCO..NCAA based on talent alone, they get surpassed by the 3..4..5th round guys who had to work..know how to work and get better and adapt to each level..whereas the "top" ranked guys can't...or don't know how...and flop

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

None of the prospects are finished products, when you draft a guy that's 6'4 and runs a 4.40 you're getting a guy who at least has the athletic pedigree and with the right coaching can succeed. As fans we don't know the mental aspect of how these guys are as teammates or how hard they work, that's all speculation and something I try not to get into.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

don't get me wrong..I totally agree, and was trying to convey that measurable's will get a guy the foot in the door 9 times out of 10 over the lunch bucket type guy, with the work ethic and the desire he has knowing he has to do more than use his resume..that was my posts's intent with the comment on game action as opposed to just measurables and practice analysis

Gimme a guy with smarts and work ethics and run of the mill measurable's 8 times outta 10 over a combine star..especially when after viewing the 22 man tape and seeing what guys do when they don't have the ball..aren't the primary person in a play..a lot of the times where a player coasts through High School..JUCO..NCAA based on talent alone, they get surpassed by the 3..4..5th round guys who had to work..know how to work and get better and adapt to each level..whereas the "top" ranked guys can't...or don't know how...and flop

It's the old adage about hard work trumps talent but hard working talent beats everything. 

guys with all the tools get all sorts of chances based on that. I think where people like that get tripped up is at lower levels it is possible to just out athlete people and they never had to work to be better than anyone and when the playing field levels off they are unprepared for it.