2020 CFL Draft

Noeller

1 hour ago, tursk said:

Of course, pretty much every draft pick is a gamble to varying degrees. Based on his measurables he is an NFL athlete.

Being an “NFL athlete” doesn’t guarantee a thing in the CFL. I like the fact that he was drafted by the Bomber but its remain to be seen if he will sign with the team and will remain healthy enough to stay.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

15 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Being an “NFL athlete” doesn’t guarantee a thing in the CFL. I like the fact that he was drafted by the Bomber but its remain to be seen if he will sign with the team and will remain healthy enough to stay.

the whole "NFL Athlete" thing doesn't mean **** to me after Rashaun Simonise...

3 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

I’ve been spending too much time in the political threads, what’s the overall thoughts on the draft? I was unable to watch. 

based on the picks we had available to us, we did well. As to be expected, from Walters and Co...

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

They are the available players at that time. I hope we never have to make a territorial pick ever lol.

Being a territorial exemptions as they were called back then was usually a big deal for local players. They used to be trotted out to the local media with a big splash & it was all smiles, handshakes & congrats for everyone. Local players were usually pretty happy to be designated  territorial exemptions by the Bombers. It meant they were considered special, stood a better chance to make the team than draft picks & play at home in front of family & friends.

In 1982, I remember Milson Jones & Stan Mikawos were our 2 territorial exemptions. It's a different time now. Both Jones & Mikawos were just grateful to be getting a chance to play for Winnipeg. They had no aspirations to play anywhere but with the Bombers at the time. Today, I believe some players would look upon it as being denied more money because they weren't drafted & not be happy. But at the same time, todays territorial picks aren't as good as the territorial exempt players were back in the 70's & 80's.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

29 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

todays territorial picks aren't as good as the territorial exempt players were back in the 70's & 80's.

Too harsh.

Totally different systems, circumstances, and scouting etc. 

That statement, about the past, is only true in a different era, and that’s where it belongs.

37 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Too harsh.

Totally different systems, circumstances, and scouting etc. 

That statement, about the past, is only true in a different era, and that’s where it belongs.

I disagree as these players were supposedly the best players in their team's area. CFL teams would arrange scholarships for them to play somewhere coming out of high school or junior ball. Then stay in touch with them during their university careers & if they were really good make them territorial exemptions.  The guys now are second & third round calibre players not first rounders like Jones & Mikawos were. Now, we know that second & third rounders can go on to become great players but on Draft Day they aren't considered the best like the territorial exemptions back then were.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

And now we hear a segment of Walter’s Words:

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/05/01/walters-thrilled-welcome-new-draft-class-winnipeg/

“You get to do this job and the best part about it is the excitement,” Walters said. “One of my favourite days of the year is after you draft a player and how excited they are and how pumped they are. Nobody is worried about anything other than that they were drafted by the Bombers.
“Everyone is working and the kids are the same way. They can’t wait to get started. …They’re ready to roll.”

Noah Hallett: “We were talking about it a little earlier, just the positive comments (about the Bombers). Whether it’s Nick or my McMaster coaches, they all say that it’s such a great place to play,” Hallett said on Friday. “It’s such a professional organization and there are great people that play there and that have played there so it’s surreal to get this opportunity and I’m excited to get to work with them.”

“I got a call (from Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea) and was told I was selected by the Blue Bombers… it was just the greatest phone call in my life. I immediately started crying because I was overwhelmed with emotions because of all the adversity and everything I’ve had to fight through in my life to get to that moment.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/02/just-greatest-phone-call-life-oleary-orange-following-fathers-footsteps/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Walter’s Words on each of the 2020 draft picks:

“Going in we said we really wanted to address the depth on the defensive side of the ball, that’s certainly adding some depth in the secondary, replenishing some of the special teams/linebacker body types and adding some guys on the defensive line,” said Bombers GM Kyle Walters in a media conference call on Friday. “We did that. We got what we needed in Noah Hallett in a potential starting free safety that can learn and grow back there and compete and play special teams.

“And we ended with Kambamba. He’s just a good football player, man. You put his film on and he’s playing corner, which is sometimes hard to translate up here (in the CFL), but he runs and he strikes and he’s an All-Canadian at Western, which is a really good school.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/01/gm-kyle-walters-breaks-2020-draft-picks/

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Walter’s Words on each of the 2020 draft picks:

“Going in we said we really wanted to address the depth on the defensive side of the ball, that’s certainly adding some depth in the secondary, replenishing some of the special teams/linebacker body types and adding some guys on the defensive line,” said Bombers GM Kyle Walters in a media conference call on Friday. “We did that. We got what we needed in Noah Hallett in a potential starting free safety that can learn and grow back there and compete and play special teams.

“And we ended with Kambamba. He’s just a good football player, man. You put his film on and he’s playing corner, which is sometimes hard to translate up here (in the CFL), but he runs and he strikes and he’s an All-Canadian at Western, which is a really good school.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/01/gm-kyle-walters-breaks-2020-draft-picks/

Very nice. Gotta think the Bombers put more hours into scouting special teamers than most of the other teams. I'm pretty excited about most of those picks

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

“I got a call (from Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea) and was told I was selected by the Blue Bombers… it was just the greatest phone call in my life. I immediately started crying because I was overwhelmed with emotions because of all the adversity and everything I’ve had to fight through in my life to get to that moment.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/05/02/just-greatest-phone-call-life-oleary-orange-following-fathers-footsteps/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Do you suppose his jersey will have 00 on it for his number?

5 hours ago, BBlink said:

Very nice. Gotta think the Bombers put more hours into scouting special teamers than most of the other teams. I'm pretty excited about most of those picks

That entirely why they drafted exume so late. No one cared about his special teams work but the bombers did. It's a really under appreciated thing I think. Considering the vast majority of canadian players need to fill that special teams role I am glad that Walter's values it.