WF - GDT - Blue Bombers @ Roughriders

JCon

I need to go back and look at Streveler's snaps -- don't recall even one play where we used sideways motion to widen the D and make some room for him to run inside.  And others in the game day thread noted that Harris wasn't in the backfield for a lot of those plays, so no option play potential there. My impression was that Lapo hung second-biggest Chris out to dry on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I need to go back and look at Streveler's snaps -- don't recall even one play where we used sideways motion to widen the D and make some room for him to run inside.  And others in the game day thread noted that Harris wasn't in the backfield for a lot of those plays, so no option play potential there. My impression was that Lapo hung second-biggest Chris out to dry on Sunday.

Two words... Jet Sweep. In both playoff games we've faked that 99% of the time and then run Streveler up the gut with mixed success, but there is usually tons of room on the outside if we actually decide to hand the ball off.

Edited by Stretch

23 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I’m of the opinion that the only consistently horrible ref in the CFL is Bradbury. The rest are fairly hit or miss in a job that’s generally very difficult. Murray Clarke was worse than any of them but by some miracle he was demoted. 

I think he works as a replay official of that Kim Murphy?

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

Was thinking about this today. Yesterdays game was a LDC Marshall probably scores, the ball does not hit goal post and Moore goes up and makes up a play. All this said I would give up winning on Labour Day as to win every playoff game in the building.

If this is the LDC, Medlock never gets his single and we lose by one point. Hero? Ryan and his rouge. 

15 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Two words... Jet Sweep. In both playoff games we've faked that 99% of the time and then run Streveler up the gut with mixed success, but there is usually tons of room on the outside if we actually decide to hand the ball off.

saving it for the cup...would open things up and most likely catch em off-guard initially

21 minutes ago, Stretch said:

That's the QB option though, right? Streveler made the call in the play and read it wrong? 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

That's the QB option though, right? Streveler made the call in the play and read it wrong? 

A jet sweep is basically a called play...too much going on and it's a timing thing generally...you don't read option that play...it's about blocking a speed..you try to be too fancy and you asking for errors...or being stuffed, you want that ball carrier getting it in full stride

Just now, Booch said:

A jet sweep is basically a called play...too much going on and it's a timing thing generally...you don't read option that play...it's about blocking a speed..you try to be too fancy and you asking for errors...or being stuffed, you want that ball carrier getting it in full stride

But is Streveler deciding between holding the ball and handing it off? 

Just now, JCon said:

Not sure how they scheme the play, and what the option is...I would think if a jet sweep is called...you run it and the blocking and receiver routes are set up to make it succeed..

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not sure how they scheme the play, and what the option is...I would think if a jet sweep is called...you run it and the blocking and receiver routes are set up to make it succeed..

I wrote my question poorly... What I meant was, would Streveler have the option to hold the ball and run it himself or hand it off to the sweeper based on his read? 

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

I Don't think it would be on a jet sweep but i would think the majority of the play actions to Harris they are options that he is choosing to hold on to himself. For Strevler in the Grey cup i would only like to see him come on in 2nd /3rd and 1or2 and you can even keep him on the play after to catch the D flat footed. Other than that the majority of the running plays should be done by Harris if you want to pound the ground. Once Strevler comes he provides no doubt in the D that he is going to throw the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Just remembered that you were at the Hamilton game. Did you see any weaknesses that we can exploit?

Well, Hamilton played to defend Harris...not worrying about anything deep, so that doesn’t help us, although maybe we could use that...

As to defending, we have to ‘interrupt’ Bank’s route running. Easier said than done, but when you let him coast, he will make you pay. 
But, if we do ‘interrupt’ him, Evans has to be contained. That will throw off their timing. They work so well together.

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Well, Hamilton played to defend Harris...not worrying about anything deep, so that doesn’t help us, although maybe we could use that...

As to defending, we have to ‘interrupt’ Bank’s route running. Easier said than done, but when you let him coast, he will make you pay. 
But, if we do ‘interrupt’ him, Evans has to be contained. That will throw off their timing. They work so well together.

Thing with Banks...you disrupt him early, make it tough and rough him up a bit, he goes in pout mode and isn't half the receiver..need to get in his kitchen early and often

I would be shocked if the quarterback did NOT have the option to go with the sweep or pull the ball himself in the situation you describe.   Surely he must have that option, especially when he can see at the last minute what the defence is doing.  That is also why we need to be careful about calling out Lapo when something does not work.  Yesterday several people were complaining about us throwing a five yard pass just over the line of scrimmage on second down when we needed ten for a first down.  On that play, it could be clearly seen that the QB checked the other receivers who had gone deeper.  Given that they were covered, he had the good sense to drop the ball off to avoid a sack.   I'm sure the OC was hoping that a longer pass would have been on but, given that it was not, the right decision was made.  It was good to have that shorter option built into the play.    It could have been more productive, just not that time.  There is always another team on the field, and sometimes our best offensive work will not be run well enough to beat them.  I think Lapo does a good job and if you would like to check with the Sask fans, they would love to have him instead of Mc Adoo.

I believe we are a better team than when we faced the ticats this season. We are not a run only offense anymore and our secondary is better.  
it will be about pressure on Dane - do that if we can do some things on offense to keep Hamilton guessing we can win this.  
Banks and Addison are good but jam them a bit at the line and hope Jeffcoat and Jefferson lead the way we have a legit shot if we play error free and win some turnovers 

5 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

I believe we are a better team than when we faced the ticats this season. We are not a run only offense anymore and our secondary is better.  
it will be about pressure on Dane - do that if we can do some things on offense to keep Hamilton guessing we can win this.  
Banks and Addison are good but jam them a bit at the line and hope Jeffcoat and Jefferson lead the way we have a legit shot if we play error free and win some turnovers 

On defence, I'm hoping we can confuse Evans the way we shook Mitchell in the semi-final. Hopefully it creates some turnovers for us, which I think will be critical. Their offence is too explosive. They're going to out points on the board, we need our D to occasional give our O additional chance to keep pace/get ahead.

On offense, we're a different team with Collaros. Lapo needs to stick with what's working though and not force Strev if it's not working. 

13 minutes ago, Mick said:

I would be shocked if the quarterback did NOT have the option to go with the sweep or pull the ball himself in the situation you describe.   Surely he must have that option, especially when he can see at the last minute what the defence is doing.  That is also why we need to be careful about calling out Lapo when something does not work.  Yesterday several people were complaining about us throwing a five yard pass just over the line of scrimmage on second down when we needed ten for a first down.  On that play, it could be clearly seen that the QB checked the other receivers who had gone deeper.  Given that they were covered, he had the good sense to drop the ball off to avoid a sack.   I'm sure the OC was hoping that a longer pass would have been on but, given that it was not, the right decision was made.  It was good to have that shorter option built into the play.    It could have been more productive, just not that time.  There is always another team on the field, and sometimes our best offensive work will not be run well enough to beat them.  I think Lapo does a good job and if you would like to check with the Sask fans, they would love to have him instead of Mc Adoo.

Not sure I buy this 100%, although this is a good post.

All too often we see this 2 yard dump offs when we need 15. Sure, it's better than a sack but if this final option is all that's available as frequently as it happens, then we have other problems with our offense in getting receivers into space so we can do more with the football and extend drives. Our inability to keep the offense on the field yesterday in the second half drove me bonkers.