Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Burris, Ray, Calvillo... that was the heyday of the CFL. CFL football was never more popular than it was during that era and hasn't been as popular since.

Seeing the state of QBing in the league right now it’s no wonder. 

One guy who never gets mentioned but is one of the most dominant CFL QB's in my lifetime is Dave Dickenson.  Unfortunately he left in his prime for the NFL and came back injury-prone.  He was better than Ray or Calvillo.  His career QB Rating is off the charts.

Dickenson 110.4 2421 passes

Ray 98.2 7301 passes

Calvillo 95.5 9437 passes

Flutie 94.1 4844 passes

Moon 93.8 2382 passes

Allen 83.8 9138 passes

If we are comparing both guys both when they were healthy...  Ricky Ray wins hands down.   If we are judging them over career achievements then it's a much closer debate.    

**** when Ricky Ray was on it was impossible... the guy dinked and dunked and had an obscenely high % of completions and a tonne of time of possession.   

Not that it's a complete fair comparison but look at Calvillo in his first few years compared to Ricky Ray coming out of nowhere and lighting it up. 

5 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Elimimian and Arceneaux are both almost certainly done. Hughes, I’ll believe he’s still good until he shows otherwise. I don’t really get this move from O’Day. The Riders are going to be really bad this season and even Elimimian of 2015 wouldn’t change that. 

I am more inclined to believe Elimimian will be ok but Hughes is done. 

That team is old AF

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

Elimimian and Arceneaux are both almost certainly done. Hughes, I’ll believe he’s still good until he shows otherwise. I don’t really get this move from O’Day. The Riders are going to be really bad this season and even Elimimian of 2015 wouldn’t change that. 

Hughes had 2 sacks after Labour Day and was basically a non-factor.

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I guess we now know where the CFL buries its' bones!

Edited by Colin Unger

Question for my elders in here.  What the heck was up with Dieter Brock?  Based on my research he went to the NFL at age 34 right after his worst season in the CFL.  He performed pretty well in the NFL and was on the all-rookie team and then never played football again....  

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

One guy who never gets mentioned but is one of the most dominant CFL QB's in my lifetime is Dave Dickenson.  Unfortunately he left in his prime for the NFL and came back injury-prone.  He was better than Ray or Calvillo.  His career QB Rating is off the charts.

Dickenson 110.4 2421 passes

Ray 98.2 7301 passes

Calvillo 95.5 9437 passes

Flutie 94.1 4844 passes

Moon 93.8 2382 passes

Allen 83.8 9138 passes

definitely one of the absolute best . Shame about the injuries. 

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Question for my elders in here.  What the heck was up with Dieter Brock?  Based on my research he went to the NFL at age 34 right after his worst season in the CFL.  He performed pretty well in the NFL and was on the all-rookie team and then never played football again....  

Specifics? Did you read his book? It was pretty much covered there. Brock had severe back issues from a decade of pounding he took in the CFL & by the time he was playing in LA it had become a chronic condition. He missed time because of his back at Rams training camp as well as during the 85 season.  In 1986, the Rams decided to move on from Brock & he retired. They signed veterans Steve Bartkowski & Steve Dils then traded for Jim Everett.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I doubt that aluminum is done. It's a great pick up for the riders. They will need all the help they can get for this season.

Hughes has dissapeared the last 2 seasons by the mid point..cant see that changing this year..Soli is another yr older..coming off injury and basically a yr of inactivity..I think he has a bit left and will be good..but not great and not a difference maker. 

Their big splash Johnson as well will be 31 this year and I bet having to do all the heavy lifting himself on the rider line he will wear down and not be what he was in Cgy..especially when offensed dont have to focus on Jefferson and Egoeovan...

Arceneaux has been in decline last couple years and coming off knee rebuild..roosevelt too is declining and one good hit from IR..again...same with their QB...and no back up at all..Powell wont be a difference maker and will have to battle through a packed box most games behind a suspect Oline until they can show they can stretch a field. 

The smoke and mirrors fluke wins last year and winning because the defense basically put up as many points as the offence wont happen 2 yrs in a row..

“Does the CFL plan to hold training camps and start the season if members of the CFLPA are on strike?”

A league spokesperson said they’d get back to me and just a little over an hour later, they did. Here’s their response, in its entirety.

“We are working towards an agreement that is fair to our players and our clubs. Out of respect for that process, we have no further comment.”

This has been the league’s go-to response since negotiations began, so it’s hardly a surprise. There’s always the temptation to read a little too much into what is essentially a “no comment” but odds are this is just the CFL being consistent instead of camp or the season actually being in jeopardy. At this point, anyway.

But by stonewalling all queries on the subject, it’s pretty clear the CFL doesn’t give a crap about what the media or the fans think and are perfectly happy keeping everyone in the dark, for the moment. The league will start using media, through leaks or more traditional methods, as soon as they believe it’s in their best interest to do so and not one second before. You could argue it’s already started.

👁‍🗨 I think I know where Drew Edwards stands..

30 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

“Does the CFL plan to hold training camps and start the season if members of the CFLPA are on strike?”

A league spokesperson said they’d get back to me and just a little over an hour later, they did. Here’s their response, in its entirety.

“We are working towards an agreement that is fair to our players and our clubs. Out of respect for that process, we have no further comment.”

This has been the league’s go-to response since negotiations began, so it’s hardly a surprise. There’s always the temptation to read a little too much into what is essentially a “no comment” but odds are this is just the CFL being consistent instead of camp or the season actually being in jeopardy. At this point, anyway.

But by stonewalling all queries on the subject, it’s pretty clear the CFL doesn’t give a crap about what the media or the fans think and are perfectly happy keeping everyone in the dark, for the moment. The league will start using media, through leaks or more traditional methods, as soon as they believe it’s in their best interest to do so and not one second before. You could argue it’s already started.

👁‍🗨 I think I know where Drew Edwards stands..

Edwards needs to stay in his damn lane. You don't go running your mouth about a negotiation when you're right in the middle of it. End of story. He can take his damn feelings and shove it. As a fan of the CFL and someone who isn't totally naive when it comes to professional negotiations Edwards is 100% wrong, and I'm glad both the CFL and CFLPA are being PROFESSIONAL (Edwards please look this word up) about the process. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Edwards needs to stay in his damn lane. You don't go running your mouth about a negotiation when you're right in the middle of it. End of story. He can take his damn feelings and shove it. As a fan of the CFL and someone who isn't totally naive when it comes to professional negotiations Edwards is 100% wrong, and I'm glad both the CFL and CFLPA are being PROFESSIONAL (Edwards please look this word up) about the process. 

it's the classic big market media entitlement. "WE DESERVE TO KNOW!!"  No, you don't...