Around the League: 2019 Off Season

SpeedFlex27
Message added by Rich

For minor off-season non-Bomber CFL news.  Any significant stories or news that is likely to generate significant discussion may have its own thread created. General Bomber news can be found here.

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Wow, even though it’s not June yet..it’s a bit late for this.

🤣

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

David William NaylorVerified account @TSNDaveNaylor 5m5 minutes ago

The @HoustonChron is reporting that @CoachJuneJones is leaving his post as OC with the @Ticats to become head coach of Houston’s XFL franchise. #Ticats #CFL

This seems crazy to me. Jones was just coming into his own as a coach in the cfl, took a step back to open up a job for steinhauer, now he leaves to the XFL? Are they going to play a game before the cfl season ends?

Mind blowing to me.

I wonder if the league should have punitive measures in contracts for coaches that do this stuff. I feel like if you quit on your team after the draft/FA you've caused them to harm by not leaving in the normal offseason window.  This is what the 3rd time weve seen this this off season?

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

🤣

This seems crazy to me. Jones was just coming into his own as a coach in the cfl, took a step back to open up a job for steinhauer, now he leaves to the XFL? Are they going to play a game before the cfl season ends?

Mind blowing to me.

I wonder if the league should have punitive measures in contracts for coaches that do this stuff. I feel like if you quit on your team after the draft/FA you've caused them to harm by not leaving in the normal offseason window.  This is what the 3rd time weve seen this this off season?

I've seen some comments on twitter complaining about the coach's salary cap being the reason for this.  I seem to remember seeing a story in the off season that said June Jones refused a salary for some reason or other, or maybe donated it all to charity, so I don't think the amount he was being paid really mattered to him.

Agreed that it sucks for the league to be losing coaches, especially this late in the off-season.

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

I've seen some comments on twitter complaining about the coach's salary cap being the reason for this.  I seem to remember seeing a story in the off season that said June Jones refused a salary for some reason or other, or maybe donated it all to charity, so I don't think the amount he was being paid really mattered to him.

Agreed that it sucks for the league to be losing coaches, especially this late in the off-season.

I could see that being the reason why the other jones left. Didnt consider that point. Football ops should have a salary cap imo. And it should be tied to revenue as should the players cap. 

Yeah its gotta be really hard to try and fill a role like that this late. Not to mention if you want to poach another teams coach for a promotion (Ie if they wanted buck to be their OC) then both teams are in a tough spot. 

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I could see that being the reason why the other jones left. Didnt consider that point. Football ops should have a salary cap imo. And it should be tied to revenue as should the players cap. 

Yeah its gotta be really hard to try and fill a role like that this late. Not to mention if you want to poach another teams coach for a promotion (Ie if they wanted buck to be their OC) then both teams are in a tough spot. 

Tommy Condell was waiting in the wings, so maybe it's not as bad as it looks.

June Jones doesn't need money. As someone else mentioned he donated his entire Ticats salary to charity. He spent almost a decade as a NCAA head coach making over a million per season and willingly stepped aside as HC of the Ticats. Highly doubt this is about money.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

June Jones doesn't need money. As someone else mentioned he donated his entire Ticats salary to charity. He spent almost a decade as a NCAA head coach making over a million per season and willingly stepped aside as HC of the Ticats. Highly doubt this is about money.

Good to hear that there are still humanitarians out there.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Maybe he just wants to donate more to charity...

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I am not so sure that he was paid over a million a year.  He was never at a marquis program.  There is a huge difference in compensation levels between Ohio State and Hawaii.  That said, he would have made good coin.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Whatever screws other teams and not us, I'm fully in favour of...

Until it does.  Ottawa, now Hamilton.  These are coordinator positions too; positional coaches.

The coaches' salary cap does need to be looked at if we don't want to continue to see this.  This will impact the onfield product quickly.

They can't do anything until the players sign their collective agreement though.