Riderfans.com Game Day Thread

jazzsax

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Only threw for 155 yards including the 72 yard bomb. You're easy to please.

Ha ha. I like to think I'm reasonable and I don't see any reason to be critical of that performance. You know what's more important than yardage? Points. We're the highest scoring team in the league.

The way I look at it as I am pleased with the teams performance and the win..in its totality.. could care less about who did what..how they got it done..and just acted like class doing it. Plain and simple...football is ultimate team game and many factors play into a win.

That being said I like how we celebrate things and dont look like jack asses doing it...be pretty hard to argue that if the game was reversed and the Riders di that to us. The stupid mugging for the camera ..over the top celebrating and the general foolishness they show would have been sickening.. many think Carter was the straw that stirred that drink but they are the same bunch of assbags as they ever were.. if not worse and in MY experience that is a team with no real leaders..and no internal babysitting..just a bunch of individuals looking for face time and personal accomplishments.. not a true team

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Not really. Hit one big play. Would have been thrown for around 200 yards if he'd played the whole game. Led the team to 10 points which was enough to win, but then again the 7 that the defense got and the 14 that Streveler got were enough to win too.

I would love to see a QB throw Matt Nichols for around 200 yards... that guy would have to have one hell of an arm.

6 minutes ago, J5V said:

Ha ha. I like to think I'm reasonable and I don't see any reason to be critical of that performance. You know what's more important than yardage? Points. We're the highest scoring team in the league.

And what's even more important than those stats? A motherfucking win. And it was a huge, convincing win against a division rival. One that could help the team lock up a playoff spot.

I think it’s fair to say Nichols didn’t wow me with his play yesterday. I think it’s fair to say I still don’t think he is the best QB on our roster.

But as someone who thinks it’s important to give credit where credit is due, I also think it’s fair to say his play is trending in the right direction lately and he seems to be improving every game. 

Could go into it deeper than that, but who really cares. We won. He’s our starter, that’s not changing so let’s just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

11 minutes ago, J5V said:

Sure, the W was the most important thing. That doesn't mean that Nichols played all that well. He hit the bomb then missed his next 3 deep balls. I don't think that Nichols was a difference maker in that game.

I don't think it would have mattered much if Streveler had played the whole game instead of Nichols. It would have still been a big win because it was the defense that set the tone and won the game. Heck, Streveler put up 14 points in just over a quarter of work to Nichols 10 in just under 3 quarters.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I think it’s fair to say Nichols didn’t wow me with his play yesterday. I think it’s fair to say I still don’t think he is the best QB on our roster.

But as someone who thinks it’s important to give credit where credit is due, I also think it’s fair to say his play is trending in the right direction lately and he seems to be improving every game. 

Could go into it deeper than that, but who really cares. We won. He’s our starter, that’s not changing so let’s just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Skill wise no but I think his game experience and ability to read a defence and not force anything is more important this time of year.

3 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

So Streveler played the entire 4th quarter.  What did he do to prove that he's better than Nicholls?  I saw a interception and an inability to move the ball downfield.  

Now don't get me wrong.  I really like Streveler but Nicholls is still my choice for starting QB.   

Why are we basing this discussion off one quarter of garbage time football?

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Sure, the W was the most important thing. That doesn't mean that Nichols played all that well. He hit the bomb then missed his next 3 deep balls. I don't think that Nichols was a difference maker in that game.

I don't think it would have mattered much if Streveler had played the whole game instead of Nichols. It would have still been a big win because it was the defense that set the tone and won the game. Heck, Streveler put up 14 points in just over a quarter of work to Nichols 10 in just under 3 quarters.

Yep, true. I'm a huge Streveler fan and I agree we win either way. He threw that pick and that was somewhat disconcerting, but he may have also thrown for 300+ if he had played the whole game, who knows? Nichols is more mature, and plays within himself. A good mentor for Streveler. I'm glad we have them both!

Stats don't win championships. Scoring points and winning games does.

Just ask the stampeders how much stats have helped them in the grey cup the last few years. Not one bit. 

I could care less if matt throws for 150 or 700 yards, I care at the end of the day that we have the W.

But back on topic. 

RIDERS SUCK!

Streveler doesn't have the arm to be a starting QB in the CFL.  I know most people will disagree with me but it is obvious when I watch him throw.  He will likely never be a full-time starter and the suggestion that he may be better than Nichols is ludicrous to me.  I like Streveler and he is absolutely perfect for the role we have him in now but he would be exposed in a big way if he was our full time starter.

24 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Why must there always be posters who look for the dark lining in silver clouds?

Well, it's possible that hidden in a dark lining can be something lurking that is going to come back to bite you in the ass, but you're right, that was a silver cloud and I didn't see any dark linings. 

25 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

So Streveler played the entire 4th quarter.  What did he do to prove that he's better than Nicholls?  I saw a interception and an inability to move the ball downfield.  

Now don't get me wrong.  I really like Streveler but Nicholls is still my choice for starting QB.   

I guess you missed the bomb to Dressler and the big run to the 1 that got us 14 points before the 4th.

We didn't move the ball in the second half with or without Nichols because we were not taking any chances. The int was a bad play, but the run was something that Nichols just can't do. Streveler was also playing without Harris and Dressler in the 4th, two big contributors in our offense.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I guess you missed the bomb to Dressler and the big run to the 1 that got us 14 points before the 4th.

We didn't move the ball in the second half with or without Nichols because we were not taking any chances. The int was a bad play, but the run was something that Nichols just can't do. Streveler was also playing without Harris and Dressler in the 4th, two big contributors in our offense.

That Streveler run was almost identical to Nichols run last year in the 41-40 1:40 comeback win against Montreal in the dying seconds of the game whilst Nichols was in a pressure cooker.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Only threw for 155 yards including the 72 yard bomb. You're easy to please.

So, you'd take a 350 yard 3 TD performance with a loss over what Nichols did yesterday? C'mon man. That's not true & you know it.  I wouldn't. Mike Reilly will get to over 5,000 yds passing & his team is in last place.