Crossover Standings after Week 13

DougR

Let's hope there is some good news during the bye week surrounding the team, a possible trade? I think everyone in the east save Hamilton would be in the market, maybe we can land an experienced international receiver. A receiving corps with Adams, Dressler & ___________ wouldn't be bad at all. 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Let's hope there is some good news during the bye week surrounding the team, a possible trade? I think everyone in the east save Hamilton would be in the market, maybe we can land an experienced international receiver. A receiving corps with Adams, Dressler & ___________ wouldn't be bad at all. 

Could possibly trade for Adarius Bowman.

4 hours ago, BBRT said:

I have to disagree with you. Remember the Riders also beat Calgary - something we have not accomplish in a very long time. So get over it. The Riders have the best defense in the CFL (or at least 2nd best) and their offense does enough to win. So whether you agree whether or not they are a good team they are at the moment a better team then Winnipeg - and that is a fact!

What? We beat Calgary last year in the last week of the season. We also pushed them to the limit in the game earlier that year too.

2 hours ago, White Out said:

I'm a realist. This team hasn't delivered a championship in 28 years. The current staff hasn't even delivered a playoff win in 4 and likely 5 seasons. I get that it's probably less aggravating to be naive about the state of the team and blissfully float along thinking success is merely a corner away. But the track record of this club, management, and coaching staff say otherwise. 

Man, I follow football to be entertained, not to be a grouch and depressed. If I wanted to do that I'd watch the news or be a Jets fan. As it stands, the Bombers are in control of their own destiny and are on the bye week. Besides, other teams have had equally lengthy Grey Cup droughts:

Calgary - 23 years (1948 - 1971)
Edmonton - 19 years (1956 - 1975)
Saskatchewan - 56 years (Inception, 1910 - 1966)
BC - 21 years (1964 - 1985)
Winnipeg - 28 years (current)
Toronto - 31 years (1952 - 1983)
Hamilton - 19 years (1967 - 1986)
Montreal - 25 years (1977 to 2002)

So yes, our current drought isn't ideal, but it is not completely out of the norm.

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

What? We beat Calgary last year in the last week of the season. We also pushed them to the limit in the game earlier that year too.

Man, I follow football to be entertained, not to be a grouch and depressed. If I wanted to do that I'd watch the news or be a Jets fan. As it stands, the Bombers are in control of their own destiny and are on the bye week. Besides, other teams have had equally lengthy Grey Cup droughts:

So yes, our current drought isn't ideal, but it is not completely out of the norm.

How are they in control of their own destiny? BC is two down with two games at hand. (Granted they are not a great team) and Montreal and TO are just two games back. All three have beat clubs with winning records. Our team hasn’t even come close to beating one. Aside from Montreal all the other teams we play have winning records and have handily beaten us. In theory you are not wrong but we are already counting on teams to lose in order for us to move into the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

How are they in control of their own destiny? BC is two down with two games at hand. (Granted they are not a great team) and Montreal and TO are just two games back. All three have beat clubs with winning records. Our team hasn’t even come close to beating one. Aside from Montreal all the other teams we play have winning records and have handily beaten us. In theory you are not wrong but we are already counting on teams to lose in order for us to move into the playoffs 

If Winnipeg wins they remain ahead of teams, it's that simple. That's how "controlling their own destiny" works. 

42 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

But they are not winning or showing they can. They are relying on teams to lose. They have zero control of their destiny.

Following your logic, you're incapable of being in control of your destiny to make good posts, since none of your previous ones have been good.

In what universe do some fans live in order to believe that this team is on the verge of getting hot and making a big run for the playoffs in spite of the fact that they have just completed losing four games in a row? In order to bring some deductive reasoning into this I suggest we need to apply Occam's razor. What is Occam's Razor I hear some of you saying?

"The term Occam's razor refers to the philosophical idea or scientific principle that of any given set of explanations for an event occurring, it is most likely that the simplest one is the correct one. Occam's razor does not seek to offer complete and absolute proof, but to find the simplest probable answer to a question of why an event happened."

Some examples ...

Event: One of the fence posts is broken. Of possible explanations a) A moose ran through it or b) Some screws fell out of it because it is old, "b" is the likelier explanation.

Event: The tire on the car is flat. Of possible explanations a) It has a screw in it and b) A serial tire-flattener came through the neighbor and sliced the tire open, explanation "a" is more likely.

Event: It is raining and I saw a bright flash through my curtains. Of possible explanations a) There was lightning or b) Someone is trying to take pictures of me in the house, explanation "a" is more likely.

Event: A student failed the statistics test. Of possible explanations a) The student needed to study harder or b) The professor changed his answers on the test because he does not like the student, explanation "a" is more likely.

Event: A car rear-ended another in highway traffic during rush hour. Of possible explanations a) The driver did not expect traffic to come to a stop so quickly in rush hour and therefore did not apply the brakes quickly enough or b) The driver was distracted by an elephant on the side of the road, explanation "a" is more likely.

Event: A loud noise is heard in an apartment that is next to a busy highway. Of possible explanations a) A bomb was dropped in the immediate area or b) A truck backfired, explanation "b" is more likely.

Event: A woman is nauseous several hours after eating at a restaurant. Of possible explanations a) She may have food poisoning or b) She is suffering from stomach cancer, explanation "a" is more likely.

Event: A roast beef in the oven burns to a crisp after being in the oven for only one hour. Of possible explanations a) Someone came into the house and turned up the oven temperature temporarily and b) The oven's temperature gauge needs to be re-calibrated, explanation "b" is most likely.

Event: A dog owner comes home to the trash can tipped over and trash is scattered on the floor. Of possible explanations a) The dog tipped the trash can over and b) Someone broke into the house and sorted through the trash can, explanation "a" is more likely.

Event: A ball rolls out into the road in a residential area in front of a man's car. Of possible explanations a) Some children are playing ball and it accidentally rolled into the road and b) Someone is maliciously attempting to cause an accident, explanation "a" makes the most sense.

You get the idea. Now let's apply Occam's razor to the following statement about the Bombers.

Event: A CFL football team that hasn't beaten any team over .500 this season, is 5-7, and has just lost four games in a row. Of possible explanations a) They aren't a very good football team because they have lousy players and coaches so they play like crap and lose more than they win or b) This is a great football team with great players and great coaches and events have simply been conspiring against them to make them look worse than they are and caused them to have a 5-7 record and lose four games in a row.

20 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Following your logic, you're incapable of being in control of your destiny to make good posts, since none of your previous ones have been good.

Sigh. Why do people always resort to insults? Is your game always to incite flame wars? You really can’t come back with an actual argument? At least 17to85 argues the post content and not the person. If you don’t want to argue content with content kindly reserve comment. I have no issues with you as person so I expect that in return.

5 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Sorry but we need to stop talking about the old school football and talk about modern day football. The bombers streak is an absolute disappointment. There is no reason why this team can’t win. It’s a joke and something need to happen. Fire someone already.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

In what universe do some fans live in order to believe that this team is on the verge of getting hot and making a big run for the playoffs in spite of the fact that they have just completed losing four games in a row?

It's the CFL man, it can change in a heart beat. a month ago Rider fans were on the verge of a revolt and were pretty much ready to run Chris Jones out of town on a rail. All of a sudden it's happy fun times in that province. 

Starts with one game at a time. Come back from the bye and beat Montreal then you're not on a 4 game losing skid anymore, you're on a 1 game winning streak. Then you worry about sneaking out a win in Edmonton, and contrary to popular belief the Esks are not unbeatable. Do that and you're on a 2 game winning streak Pull that off and you're back to .500. It's not the craziest thing in the world. Then they have a very beatable RIder team and after the way the Riders acted this past weekend I would expect a very motivated Bomber team. 

Things are not as dire as they seem, just gotta clean up mistakes and remove Lapos head from his ass and they can get back to winning some games. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Things are not as dire as they seem, just gotta clean up mistakes and remove Lapos head from his ass and they can get back to winning some games. 

The woes of the offense has been more like 70% Qb play and 30% coaching....  Can't blame Lapo for Nichols playing like a complete tool.   He's had protection and wide open guys... he just isn't hitting them.   I have no idea how you can think that LaPo is a bigger issue over Nichols when a play is called and a wide open receiver is waiting for a throw and Nichols decides to throw it into double coverage.

9 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Sigh. Why do people always resort to insults? Is your game always to incite flame wars? You really can’t come back with an actual argument? At least 17to85 argues the post content and not the person. If you don’t want to argue content with content kindly reserve comment. I have no issues with you as person so I expect that in return.

Fair enough, my point still stands though, currently the bombers are in control of their own destiny - and do not need outside help. I agree though that things look dire, but it's just been alot of doom and gloom around here lately. Further to my earlier point of all hope not being lost =after 12 games, last years' Grey Cup champs (the Argos) were also 5-7. The Redblacks the year before (2016) were slightly better at 6-5-1, my point is simply that the Bombers are still very much in the playoff race, despite their current efforts to be down and out. In the CFL it isn't how you start, it's how you finish...just look at the 2011 BC Lions.

Edited by Eternal optimist

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Fair enough, my point still stands though, currently the bombers are in control of their own destiny - and do not need outside help. I agree though that things look dire, but it's just been alot of doom and gloom around here lately. Further to my earlier point of all hope not being lost =after 12 games, last years' Grey Cup champs (the Argos) were also 5-7. The Redblacks the year before (2016) were slightly better at 6-5-1, my point is simply that the Bombers are still very much in the playoff race, despite their current efforts to be down and out. In the CFL it isn't how you start, it's how you finish...just look at the 2011 BC Lions.

This is all very true, but this team needs do do something different to get there. All those teams you mention made changes in season to improve.

The concern many have is that this team seems to be very resistant to making any adjustments.

That is at the core of the pessimism.

Hey...Schmoes last year...what lost 6 or 7 in a row...and looked way more brutal than this team in doing so, with both teams having injuries during it...and they ended up just fine and were in West Final

Re-group over bye..Get Hardrick and Dressler back...Harris rested...maybe re-evaluate a few areas, possibly bring in a new guy who is proven ....and continue on and get hot when it counts

The season is no way shape or form a lost season right now...people gotta chill...it's frustrating and all...but cmon man

15 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I am new to the CFL game this year and picked the Bombers as my team even though I'm from New Jersey.   Nobody can accuse me of being a front-runner!!!

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Hey...Schmoes last year...what lost 6 or 7 in a row...and looked way more brutal than this team in doing so, with both teams having injuries during it...and they ended up just fine and were in West Final

Re-group over bye..Get Hardrick and Dressler back...Harris rested...maybe re-evaluate a few areas, possibly bring in a new guy who is proven ....and continue on and get hot when it counts

The season is no way shape or form a lost season right now...people gotta chill...it's frustrating and all...but c'mon man

But the Esks had both Reilly and a competent coaching staff plus some darned good receivers