Weston Dressler - Is he stil relevant?

B-F-F-C

4 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Sure...I'm sure there are a few teams with less depth and talent that we have would pick him up in an instant.  But again never said he should be cut.   

True but you are sort of implying he may not be relevant or an integral piece. Imo, right now he is no where near a fifth receiver. My guess, he'll retire before that happens.

Edited by HardCoreBlue
added an

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

Dresseler is still a much better and more valuable player than Bowman in my opinion. 

With that being said, I wouldn’t replace anyone on our O. The only thing I would like to see is Flanders get on the roster as a DI to utilize those two back sets. 

The question is who you going to take out off the lineup ? 

Current DI’s are Medlock, Bryant/Roh, Wild, Leggett (for now).

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If you had another NI DL who could play that would be the spot.  

We dont have that at the moment. 

I agree If only we can get a NI DE (most likely) that can rotate like Corney, then we dont need a DI on the DL. 

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

I believe Corney got hurt too in the MTL game..

I think Gaitor will be out of the lineup against Hamilton, looked to have hurt his hamstring late in the game.  If Mo gets the full-time gig in his place I can see them bringing Lankford back for KR duties.

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think Gaitor will be out of the lineup against Hamilton, looked to have hurt his hamstring late in the game.  If Mo gets the full-time gig in his place I can see them bringing Lankford back for KR duties.

Could always bring Augustine back on as well for the returns...if Moe pencils in as a starter we may not DI another DB type again as well same as first game.

On 2018-06-23 at 8:41 AM, Goalie said:

Lol. He had several catches last night and a TD last week. 

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat ??

This, someone forgot he caught Strev's first TD pass and had more receptions than Bowman did that week.

I think what we've just forgotten is how depleted our WR core was late last year with Darvin Adams out, Thorpe walking out, Lankford stinking and Denmark going AWOL that we've seen now just how deep it is this year.  Demski and Woltairsky are making plays and it's changing the dynamic here.

I think we got a deep core this year and Lapo's offense is finally running the way it's supposed to.  If you're deep at WR and QB, players like Dressler just naturally get fewer targets.

Edited by USABomberfan

Think back to 2001. Our offence was built on spreading the ball around with no one primary target, even with Milt and Charlie Roberts on it. We regularly had games where at least 7 different players would catch the ball, and once had 9 as I recall. 9! That is almost unheard of. (Stegall, Bobby Gordon, Arland Bruce, Stoddard as starters, two of Andre Arlain, Markus Howell or Geoff Drover getting action as back-ups, and the 3-headed monster of Eric Blount, Troy Mills, and back-up Charlie Roberts all got catches ). We were pretty much unstoppable. That is what this offence could morph into. That misdirection was something to behold. Keeping the focus off of one guy like Dressler is better for our overall success and his (and other players') health long term. And yes, we had 9 different targets in the Montreal game (and 6 different rushers). The results speak for themselves.

And let's not forget that Dressler is now our primary FG holder again, and how important that crucial but oft overlooked role is.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

5 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Dressler will be here for as long as he wants to be. He's still got his speed, runs crisp routes, gets open, and will do the little things that veteran WR's do to help their QB and team. Im not worried one bit about Weston Dressler.

He might be too short to play for the riders but he is long in value. Jones is a Richard. 

21 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Seem to recall Hargreaves making catches.   Ralph made us Ralph and I don’t recall guice

Hargreaves was a master of running the 8 yard route when we needed 10 and getting zero YAC.  Dudley Guice wasn't around for long but we did have some good fun with his name.

38 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Dressler will be here for as long as he wants to be. He's still got his speed, runs crisp routes, gets open, and will do the little things that veteran WR's do to help their QB and team. Im not worried one bit about Weston Dressler.

Disagree...at some point in time Dressler's contract is going to cause the team to move on to a more cap friendly contract.  

People probably think I don't like the guy but you couldn't be more wrong.  I just see the probability of younger and cheaper receivers moving up the depth chart and pricing himself off the team.    

23 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Disagree...at some point in time Dressler's contract is going to cause the team to move on to a more cap friendly contract.  

People probably think I don't like the guy but you couldn't be more wrong.  I just see the probability of younger and cheaper receivers moving up the depth chart and pricing himself off the team.    

Well I disagree with your disagree. Its fine and dandy to have a bunch of cheap rookie receivers running around but you've gotta pay a premium for savvy vets like Dressler that do things the right way. As long as he still has his speed and health he will continue to be an asset.