Week 2 @ Montreal: Streveler Round 2 And Willy On A Short Rope

Time to rebound after the loss and with guys like Leggett, Lefrance, and Wild coming off the 1-game we're going to be in even better shape for this game.  Streveler was great in game 1 and I am now eager to see him run out onto the field and get it done in week 2.

I also think our defense is going to have a better showing this game knowing Willy and his holding onto the ball too long habit.  I know BC's defensive line is probably better than ours, but Willy was giving them sacks on a silver platter all game and he's likely going to give us some too in this game.  Not at all elusive like Reilly.

I'm going to bet that if the Als offense sputters like it did in the second quarter and beyond against BC that we'll be seeing the Als march out Matt Schiltz or Jeff Matthews during this game.

I don't think that Leggett, LeFrance or Wild are coming off the IR this week.

It will be interesting to see how Montreal defends Streveler now that they have some film on him. Rich Stublers defenses are bend don't break, so Streveler will have to put together long drives without mistakes to win, not just a few big plays.

Our big advantage should be our defense or Willy if you prefer. Gotta assume we're going to blitz often to force Willy to make mistakes. Should be enough for a win IMO.

Going to miss this game but here's what I'd watch for:

- Streveler/Lapo bringing Harris back into the game as a passing target - more screens, etc

- Streveler managing the game - bit less scrambling

- Gaitor and Loffler having bounceback games - is Gaitor this year's Roc?

- Front seven against Willy and then whoever replaces him to start the second...

- Dressler back as holder please

45 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Hoping Leggett comes back but I wouldn't count on Wild or Lefrance returning and I'm not sure it would make a big difference if they did.

Curious to see how Streveler handles an aggressive Montreal defence and a hostile crowd.

Why do you think Montreal has a hostile crowd ?.......I wouldn't be surprised if the stands are 50% or better empty....Montrealers hate losing teams and would rather go for a smoked meat sandwich than watch their teams lose

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Time to rebound after the loss and with guys like Leggett, Lefrance, and Wild coming off the 1-game we're going to be in even better shape for this game.  Streveler was great in game 1 and I am now eager to see him run out onto the field and get it done in week 2.

I also think our defense is going to have a better showing this game knowing Willy and his holding onto the ball too long habit.  I know BC's defensive line is probably better than ours, but Willy was giving them sacks on a silver platter all game and he's likely going to give us some too in this game.  Not at all elusive like Reilly.

I'm going to bet that if the Als offense sputters like it did in the second quarter and beyond against BC that we'll be seeing the Als march out Matt Schiltz or Jeff Matthews during this game.

Any Defense that has Richie Hall as the DC is easy pickings for any QB even Willy. Would not surprise me to see him throw for 400 yds or more. Would like to see Leggett back to at least help.

59 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Leggett might be. Not sure who Wild would take off the roster though.

Kyrie wilson will probably be the first to come off the roster when mo or wild is ready to go. who ever comes first. Lafrance probably takes augustins active roster spot for a bit. 

I feel like the extra IMP end  is going to come off for the second of mo/wild. Corney is ready for more reps and from pre season to week 1 has been very good. between corney and what mo brings to D and wild brings to teams that extra end is going to bounce to the inactive/ir, I suspect we will see juggling with those guys, the ends, wilson, and wild till we find the guys who will produce the best in game for us. I also imagine brandin bryant will move from in active to PR to free up the IA spot. 

At some point in a few weeks i bet kenbrell thompkins moves up to a DI and gets some looks. Maybe when mo comes back fogg does all return duties and lankford goes to in active or IR. 

3 minutes ago, BBRT said:

Any Defense that has Richie Hall as the DC is easy pickings for any QB even Willy. Would not surprise me to see him throw for 400 yds or more. Would like to see Leggett back to at least help.

Sutton and the als Ol was so so running against BC. They are gonna be screwed against our front 7 in the run game. And if your offense is one dimensional against halls D, thats when he excels. 

They have a bunch of talent on that WR core. jackson, cunningham and williams. The key is we can get pressure on willy and we know he struggles when he has to force throws or gets hit a lot.  I could see willy racking up some yards, but very few points. I can also see him getting hobbled pretty good. 

21 minutes ago, BBRT said:

The thing is though every chunk of yardage he picks up in between the 30s he always squanders with sacks and picks.  I mean, it's crazy he had almost 300 yards passing against BC but only 10 points to show for it.  So unless he turns those yards into TDs, they're useless.

I still say he's on a short rope and the Matt Schiltz or Jeff Matthews era will be starting in Montreal very soon.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Going to miss this game but here's what I'd watch for:

- Streveler/Lapo bringing Harris back into the game as a passing target - more screens, etc

- Streveler managing the game - bit less scrambling

- Gaitor and Loffler having bounceback games - is Gaitor this year's Roc?

- Front seven against Willy and then whoever replaces him to start the second...

- Dressler back as holder please

It wasn't a bobbled snap. The ball just slipped in a soaking wet field. Just unlucky.

Montreal's offense looked awful yesterday. Our defense should rack up some sacks. I expect a better outing against Willy, or whoever ends up with playing time. 

Streveler will have his challenges against a Stubler defense. Jennings wound up with a great completion percentage but only 183 yards. Hope we see more pocket movement for Streveler. Make them fear the designed runs and zone reads. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Why do you think Montreal has a hostile crowd ?.......I wouldn't be surprised if the stands are 50% or better empty....Montrealers hate losing teams and would rather go for a smoked meat sandwich than watch their teams lose

Hostile meaning they are not the home crowd, i.e. they are cheering and making noise when our offence is on the field.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

That and Montreal doesn’t have an aggressive D anymore

Looked pretty aggressive last night.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

It will be interesting to see how Montreal defends Streveler now that they have some film on him. Rich Stublers defenses are bend don't break, so Streveler will have to put together long drives without mistakes to win, not just a few big plays.

Lapo vs  a bend don't break defense is pretty much a straight up win. Lapo wants to methodically work the ball down the field at the best of times.

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  Streveler will most likely face a stiffer defense than an Edmonton unit missing some of their secondary, but I'd see little reason to think Molson will be pulling in a big crowd.

I haven't heard that place get loud in a while, and it likely won't until they get their next Calvillo.  Their owners and front office staff have been ruining that team and most Montrealers are now tuning out that crap and no longer buying season tickets.

Edited by USABomberfan

2 hours ago, BBRT said:

Willy won't even hit 250 yards passing on us. Watching that last drive last night was so painfully satisfying because of the dink and dunk passing he does and holding on to the balls for so long. Our front four will eat him alive.

8 hours ago, Atomic said:

Hostile meaning they are not the home crowd, i.e. they are cheering and making noise when our offence is on the field.

Looked pretty aggressive last night.

Wait wait wait...this is the same Montreal team so desperate to sell tickets they are currently offering discounted tickets ($10) for fans to attend just the fourth quarter?

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/q4-tickets/