Game Day: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Pre-Season) June 1, 2018

Rich

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Meh i wouldn't get to over excited about these guys... they were playing against complete scrubs.    

The only takeaways is that White will make the team and that Ross better do something next week because 1/8 against scrubs is not a good first look. 

I’m ok with this opinion. 

17 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Augustine ran the ball well and looked good. Offense looked terrible to start and then seemed to settle in. Nichols looked good overall (didn't like the pick) and he and Bowman showed some nice chemistry. Bowman is going to be a great addition. Darvin made a couple of nice catches. Demski looked good. White's TD was the play of the game, just a sick play and I'll throw in a you need to get this kid on the roster. Simonise had a nice reception where he really had to sky to nab it while taking a hit. Harris is Harris. Streveler looked impressive. Ross looked awful, could not complete a pass with many poor throws. On defense, the DL played well. Nevis, Poop, Oka, Thomas, Roh, Corney.

My guess is the Nichols interception was a wrong route run by a receiver....there was no one in sight of that ball. He had another one later in the first half that was in the same spot and no one around it that went incomplete. 

Strevler and Augustine's success isn't just attributed to being against scrubs..and means nothing.

Sure signs of this has gotta be shown against all first stringers for sure..but you need to lose the notion that there is no real thing as fodder at this level and that all the competition guys face now is greater than anything they faced in college..so if they showed well then they are doing things right.

Also if Strevler was throwing to first stringers behind the starting oline and Augustine was running behind them..then they may have had more time to throw..bigger holes to run thru..etc..etc..u can slice it anyway you like but they both showed promise. 

Now lets see if they build on it next game and then make some determinations..all in all a lot of positives and our rookies fared better than sask rookies against same competition so that says something 

26 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not one bloody moving picture to be found in the whole bloody digital universe not focused on Johnny Manziels's bloody arse?  Where are the bloody Bomber highlights???

Any reports on LB performances?

TSN has highlights of the game.

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Meh i wouldn't get to over excited about these guys... they were playing against complete scrubs.    

The only takeaways is that White will make the team and that Ross better do something next week because 1/8 against scrubs is not a good first look. 

Not all scrubs.

As per John Hodge @ 3DN: "Tommie Draheim and Kelvin Palmer, both of whom have started meaningful games in the CFL, struggled mightily against the Bombers’ pass rushing trio of Jackson Jeffcoat, Craig Roh, and Tristan Okpalaugo.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

There was one play in I think it was the second quarter where Jake Thomas steamrolled the Eskimo lineman into next week ... couldn’t believe the bullrush 

I'm fairly certain it was against a RB and not a lineman but it was still amazing.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

There was one play in I think it was the second quarter where Jake Thomas steamrolled the Eskimo lineman into next week ... couldn’t believe the bullrush 

Corney did the same thing I think it was in the fourth quarter. Then the next play he ran around the guy. 

Sure it was a preseason game, against a bunch of likely to not make the team players. However, the bombers did exactly what they were supposed to. They executed and dominated (with the exception of the first few plays) all night long. That's exactly what I wanted to see and exactly what we should have excepted out of a team that should be ready for the next step.

33 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Man Darvin Adams is going to be a handful for opposing Defenses the addition of Bowman really frees him up could see him getting 1500 yards.

In practice those two were were making plays all over the field. Once the defence figured it out a bit Dressler would be absolutely forgotten and make a play for 40 or Demski would make a nice play. Gonna be an exciting offence this year.

Edited by Gotmilt

Nice game for evaluations and better than a scrimmage against your own teammates. I presume the Coaches got what they wanted to see and will be doing a ton of film work today.

The game for the fans was pretty much what we expected, a strong performance from the O and a virtual shutout by the D. Aside from the first ST TD by the Eskimos, we controlled the areas we wanted to look at. The only ‘holy mackerel’ surprise was Streveler totally outplaying Ross. It had been predetermined that it would be the other way around.

And now we travel to B.C., and we’re not going to be looking at 70 players. You can be sure of that.

Will cuts be made in the meantime? It seems that yesterday’s performance will need more exposure for the guys on the bubble.

The really big question is, will Matt Nichols even play in that game or merely be there for an extra set of eyes and to advise? Remember, if Nichols is scheduled to play, that means a commitment to play your front line O-Line. Will they have to anyway to see how the RBs perform? 

Will Bennett be ready to get some squeeze time in and will MOS spread the QBing around to help with decisions?

I know MOS likes to ask the players if they feel it’s necessary for them to play, but really, will Nichols ever say no?

You can only take so many players in travel, and it seems we have very good competition in certain areas. Those are the guys you have to play. Hop on the plane guys, and make sure you save seats for Augustine and Streveler..

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Don't you get the "legit" moniker after winning a playoff game or two ?.....

Nah..his 2 playoff appearances with us if we had any semblance of a defense he would have won...should have won really no fault of his..The 2 playoff games have been statistically 2 of his better games of his career.. he's legit