Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What the NFL is trying to do is eliminate the pancake tackle where a defender usually 280 lbs or more hits the qb & then lands on top of him leading to shoulder & arm injuries. As the father of a former qb who had his collarbone broken while playing for the Rifles back in 2010 when a Regina Thunder DT did just that I can't argue against it. Some tacklers also twist the qb exposing their shoulders & then fall on them almost guaranteeing some kind of injury. 

there's nothing wrong with the rule... just how it is being applied... if you saw the Clay Matthews tackle in the Packers/Vikings game... it was about as perfectly textbook as you can get...

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

QBS stand in there often times defenseless. They are hit or blindsided because some left tackle or guard missed or got beat on his block.  The CFL & NFL already have rules in place to protect receivers from headshots. How many here would stand there & be willing to be pancaked? Not many so I kind of laugh at the supposed courageous tough talk by some who don't like it.

A pancake is what started the end for Travis Lulay as I recall. Wait, that doesn't sound right ... LOL!

Edited by J5V

Mass at work...a lot of class.

McDiarmid

Yesterday, 11:42 AM

fetch?linkid=324498&type=thumb&cachebust
The Edmonton Eskimos have let special teams coordinator Cory McDiarmid go. The Eskimos allowed a blocked punt after the team’s opening drive which led to a Winnipeg Blue Bombers field goal and opened the floodgates for a 30-3 loss. McDiarmid was hired by head coach Jason Maas in 2016 after beginning his CFL coaching career in 2000 since coaching in the CFL for the Riders, Bombers, Alouettes, Stampeders, Argos and Lions. Edmonton has lost two straight games after beating the Calgary Stampeders on September 8 and sit 7-7 fourth in the West Division.

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Mass at work...a lot of class.

McDiarmid

Yesterday, 11:42 AM

fetch?linkid=324498&type=thumb&cachebust
The Edmonton Eskimos have let special teams coordinator Cory McDiarmid go. The Eskimos allowed a blocked punt after the team’s opening drive which led to a Winnipeg Blue Bombers field goal and opened the floodgates for a 30-3 loss. McDiarmid was hired by head coach Jason Maas in 2016 after beginning his CFL coaching career in 2000 since coaching in the CFL for the Riders, Bombers, Alouettes, Stampeders, Argos and Lions. Edmonton has lost two straight games after beating the Calgary Stampeders on September 8 and sit 7-7 fourth in the West Division.

No suggestion of who is replacing McDiarmid, it's a big job somebody has to take over these duties.

27 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

No suggestion of who is replacing McDiarmid, it's a big job somebody has to take over these duties.

The 3rd Down article doesn't mention it but when the firing was announced, they said the assistant ST coach would be taking over.

The announcement was made in an email that indicated head coach Jason Maas would hold a media availability to explain the decision Monday and also revealed that assistant coach Dave Jackson would replace McDiarmid.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

You are right but this is a odd time to make this move isn't it. Meat shield

Agreed. The Esks have not been the powerhouse that Edmonton fans have come to expect and Maas has to be feeling heat. However, apart from top-notch receivers, the pipeline to Edmonton has not brought in overall great players of late. That would be on the GM.

It's just a different philosophy. The Eskimos hit .500 in the last 3rd of the season, heads roll because that's not good enough. The Bombers hit .500 in the last 3rd of the season, and we're talking about how good we are and how we shoulda coulda woulda won more games because we is better than our record.

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's just a different philosophy. The Eskimos hit .500 in the last 3rd of the season, heads roll because that's not good enough. The Bombers hit .500 in the last 3rd of the season, and we're talking about how good we are and how we shoulda coulda woulda won more games because we is better than our record.

The Bombers had a slump, now they look improved from said slump. It's not about the overall record, it's about how a team is playing in the moment. 

33 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The Bombers had a slump, now they look improved from said slump. It's not about the overall record, it's about how a team is playing in the moment. 

We gave them a beat down this week. No doubt about it. That doesn't change my point. They take action when they lose 2 in a row. We don't take action even when we lose 4 in a row.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We gave them a beat down this week. No doubt about it. That doesn't change my point. They take action when they lose 2 in a row. We don't take action even when we lose 4 in a row.

Get off it. "Action" this time of year does absolutely nothing. Unless your swapping out an entire regime. Their ST will still be **** next week. I'm sure there are plenty of Eskimos fans super excited that the team has moved on from that particular coach...

18 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

And now we've won two in a row and had our best defensive game in a few years. 

Good thing we're not knee-jerk reacting to everything like some want us to. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I hope that's the last we see of the guy. He was a great player in his prime. However, he's become a retread. He needs to just retire with some dignity & quit being a hanger on. 

I think it's time he hangs up the cleats. He has spent way to many games on the 6 game for a lot of teams.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The Bombers almost recovered two kickoffs in Edmonton kicking into the wind because their returner was standing at the 5 waiting for the ball, which came down at the 30.  That's pretty brutal coaching.

Was it the wind? I thought the Bombers were doing that on purpose to try to recover it, lol.