Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Don’t need to subtract both - fenner or fogg and gaitor or Clarke

i would have picked Westerman over dressler tbh

Westerman wants 200k per year though..  That's what 140k above a replacement level player.   So when you have guys that make like 140k that's 70k above replacement level. So for one 200k player you need to replace two guys making 140k with league minimum players. 

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Westerman wants 200k per year though..  That's what 140k above a replacement level player.   So when you have guys that make like 140k that's 70k above replacement level. So for one 200k player you need to replace two guys making 140k with league minimum players. 

Extra $40k above last year...  for one year - probably the difference between fogg and Clarke instead of rookies ...no?

gascon-nadon is a good replacement likely 150 or less though

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Extra $40k above last year...  for one year - probably the difference between fogg and Clarke instead of rookies ...no?

gascon-nadon is a good replacement likely 150 or less though

You're making assumptions that other players didn't get any raises.  You can be that Winnipeg is viewing it the cost with Westerman in the cap and the cost without Westerman in the cap.  200k is a lot of money for an aging player who had a season ending injury last season.   Signing him would have cost more than both Fogg and Clarke above rookies and Clarke and Fogg give the team much needed depth. There's also the opportunity that not all the veteran DB's we have under contract will make the team. Perhaps if you take Gaitor, Clark, and Fogg they will battle it out and only two of them make the team. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

You're making assumptions that other players didn't get any raises.  You can be that Winnipeg is viewing it the cost with Westerman in the cap and the cost without Westerman in the cap.  200k is a lot of money for an aging player who had a season ending injury last season.   Signing him would have cost more than both Fogg and Clarke above rookies and Clarke and Fogg give the team much needed depth. There's also the opportunity that not all the veteran DB's we have under contract will make the team. Perhaps if you take Gaitor, Clark, and Fogg they will battle it out and only two of them make the team. 

Do you think Nevis, dressler and medlock didn’t take modest pay cuts to stay on a GC contender?  It’s my impression 

What more do we hope for at this point? Westy back at a reasonable price would be great. But im more then good with the DL we have now. I might rather have jake thomas back then westerman actually. 

Weve shored up our WR core in a huge way, Dbs, no2 qb and NI depth after the first day of free agency. 

NI wise, id love to see us start 2 wrs, 3ol, 1 rb, 1s, 

Lafrance vs flanders will be interesting. 

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Do you think Nevis, dressler and medlock didn’t take modest pay cuts to stay on a GC contender?  It’s my impression 

Perhaps they did.  Dressler was already on a lower salary.  We have a team filled with guys who want to be here and took less than top dollar to stay here. It would be really hard for any of these guys to accept giving Westerman 200k when there's very few teams in this league willing to do so. He left because his desire for top dollar outweighed his desire to continue playing here. Ditto for Heath. So you move on and replace them. We got a different Canadian starter in Demski who wants to be here for much less and we have two top shelf american rush ends. I don't see this being any kind of an issue. When you look at the amount of talent this team has from top to bottom it hasn't come from paying athletes absolute top dollar. If you want top dollar you can go and play for the black hole that is the Montreal Alouettes.

The thing about the CFL is that we don't know what many of the players are making. However, I can only imagine that we have players who are making more money than they did last year and the worthy additions of Bowman and Durant didn't come for free.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

He played well at SAM last year and was second in the CFL in ST tackles. I think you're totally wrong on Fenner.

You could be right - I underestimated his ST contributions

if its 100 and 30 bonus prob fine - of the three ex bc DBs we have Fenner is by far the best

Glad Westerman turned them down.  We have 2 NI DL who can play.  If we really needed to we could have one on the field at all times.  There are numerous Canadian guys in free agency who can take 20-25 snaps a game as well, and probably a few guys in the draft.  I like the idea of Nevis and Johnson on the field at the same time and 5 imp DL dressing every game.  Our DL was dominant when we rotated 7 guys last season.  When it went down to 6 they were inconsistent.  Casher and Montgomery are guys with pretty good pedigree and there will be others in camp as well.

If Westerman came back at his former salary or a little under I'd be happy to have him.