Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Meh, look at the average age for elite rush ends ... Westerman’s age wouldn’t be a big issue in my opinion.

Rotational guys sure. NFL teams usual have rush ends that pretty much only play on passing downs so they can stay fresh and play well into their 30's. Westerman plays the majority of snaps and really didnt look all that explosive to me last year.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

44 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Feel like there has been a big market correction in high end salaries. 

I think its more ebb and flow. We will see spikes and dips as teams free up salary and break down to utter rebuild levels. Despite montreals best efforts last year every team in the league could well believe they are 1 or 2 key guys from making a run. 2-3 years from now I could see another huge FA period. Till then I expect much more like this. 

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Meh, look at the average age for elite rush ends ... Westerman’s age wouldn’t be a big issue in my opinion.

Yeah I would not worry about his age. His pass port easily out shines that. Explosiveness, drive and technique are huge at rush end. 

Dont agree that strength diminishes with age. Certainly not the on set of 30 ish. Quickness sure. 

2015 westerman, worth 200k. 16, not. 17 was on track to be close in production. But he hasnt adapted to the way teams play him nearly as well as teams have adapted to him. 

I think jeffcoat in a full season next year emerges as an elite + pass rusher. At a fraction the cost. 

27 minutes ago, do or die said:

There was a time it was real difficult to attract FA's here.......that was then.

We had to over pay, and be thankful as all heck when a guy like bryant chose to slum it with us. Now our management has us in the a premier situation we have seen the likes of in ages. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Glad Westerman turned them down.  We have 2 NI DL who can play.  If we really needed to we could have one on the field at all times.  There are numerous Canadian guys in free agency who can take 20-25 snaps a game as well, and probably a few guys in the draft.  I like the idea of Nevis and Johnson on the field at the same time and 5 imp DL dressing every game.  Our DL was dominant when we rotated 7 guys last season.  When it went down to 6 they were inconsistent.  Casher and Montgomery are guys with pretty good pedigree and there will be others in camp as well.

If Westerman came back at his former salary or a little under I'd be happy to have him.

I agree rotating 7 is better than dressing 6 D-lineman, hopefully one of the Import DE's they bring into camp can impress enough to make the roster.  Natl. DT's are a bargain compared to DE's (excluding Laurent), they can take the $200,000 they save on Westerman and put it toward signing Thomas, Steele or Waud  to fill out the lineup.

56 minutes ago, Brandon said:

His age isn't a big deal,   it's not like his age is what held him back last season.    

I'd still take the guy back if the price was right.  

As a player on the field his age isn't a big issue.. It's just that injuries can start to happen more frequently as players age.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

His age isn't a big deal,   it's not like his age is what held him back last season.    

I'd still take the guy back if the price was right.  

Still 50-50 he's back as far as I'm concerned.  Although he came into the CFL as a free agent this is his first real crack at seeing what his value is after playing in this league.  A couple of all-star nods, runner up for a Schenley award - his value won't ever be higher than it is now.  Testing the market regardless what Winnipeg offered is a reasonable choice.

But 200k is a big ask and 2017 was a down year for him.  Will any other GM offer him more than what we are?  Even though he is absolutely a legit starting 7 NI, there won't be many.  There might only be one, and his name rhymes with Mavis Peed*.  A tire fire without a QB and a massive rebuild ahead for a paycheque or stay a team that's a legit contender?  50-50.  He hasn't signed elsewhere yet.

*Oh Mavis, when will you stop wetting yourself?

Fwiw, Darren Cameron says they're not currently negotiating with any of their pending FA's. Nothing on the horizon for them today. Says they spoke with one of their FA's last night (my guess is Busterman) and, quote, "that doesn't appear to be materializing".... 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Fwiw, Darren Cameron says they're not currently negotiating with any of their pending FA's. Nothing on the horizon for them today. Says they spoke with one of their FA's last night (my guess is Busterman) and, quote, "that doesn't appear to be materializing".... 

Time is on the Bombers' side when it comes to Westerman. The Riders have painted themselves into a financial corner and Montreal is a mess, so his options are very limited. If he waits much longer, the money the Bombers have earmarked for him will be committed elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't think so...Lafrance was cheap..Fenner too I think..Demski was questionable...I doubt a shade over 320k was our max out cash

yeah have to figure Heath, Bond and Hurls salaries cover Demski, Fenner and LaFrance with probably money still in our coffers. Westermans Salary is still probably on the table + JFG's salary and potentially Thomas'. I'm guessing Davis and LeFevour combined covered Durant. Bowman probably takes Denmark's salary plus a little extra but somewhere in there it balances

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

I think they still need to sign another Natl. for the D., as they're currently down 3 from last year.  The way it's looking they will need to keep one of Ekakitie or Corney on the field at all times to maintain the ratio, if one goes down they're hooped and would have to plug a Natl. into the secondary.  Thomas, Steele or Waud should not cost much and would add solid depth.