Bomber Moves 2018

BigBlue

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

If the reports are accurate and Walters had a $200K offer on the table for Westerman, I wonder how much of that money remains and if the team will go after a MLB like Reed or Woods now.

There will be some, but the Bombers will have used some of that to bring in Demski.  They have to look after themselves, not wait on Westerman, and one starting NI might be disappearing, so another one has to be found.

Until the players are handed a cheque, cap money hasn't been spent.  If Walters really wanted to play fast and loose, he could gamble that a rookie on a cheap contract will step up and steal a job from a vet on an expensive contract during camp, but that's not a smart way to approach it and doesn't seem to be his style.

So to answer your question, 347 dollars remain.

If true 250K is crazy money for a guy who has had a few good years but was from from an all star last year, add to that the injury that he is coming bad from and the Als might regret this signing oh well it's there cash. I'm sure the Bombers have some money left for a national linemen or 2 if they decide they need them.

knowing our needs I would think we had obviously 200k set aside for Westerman..obviously around 140-150 for Demski...most likely as the market is showing somewhere in the 130-150k range for a db/sam type guy and I would bet around 150-175k for a bigtime MLB...and you usually try and allot about 200kish for the available value/footsoldier type depth signings...

so in my opinion we used 80k for Lafrance outta depth/foot soldier...ate up the DB/Sam budget..and the Demski budget...so would bet we have Westerman money and the depth money still...and if we were in better cap space than us lay people think...could have more

and if it isn't used up...well then there's your 2018 re-ups at season end...

From experience that is how teams do it..well fiscally responsible ones do it in free agency...you dont just put a pile of money in a pot..and sign..sign..sign and see what u have left...u plan for all scenarios and also have money there for a situation such as Westermans and if it had dragged on for days and he came back with a counter

Edited by Booch

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

pretty sure Demski money had noting to do with Westerman money or a potential MLB  money..that money is most likely still there...if it wasn't that would mean we had about 300k to spend on free agents which is laughable

2018 Bowman will be more expensive than 2017 Denmark, 2018 Demski will be more expensive than 2017 JFG, 2018 LaFrance will be more expensive than 2017 Normand, 2018 Fenner will be more expensive than 2017 Heath.  2018 Durant will be more expensive than 2017 Davis.

I can also find some examples that go the other way - Jovan Santa Claus will cost less than Hurl, Ekakatie will cost less than Thomas , but on the whole it looks like the Bombers are spending more at non-DE positions in 2018 than they did in 2017.  Neufeld will cost more than Bond.

200k is a pretty big piece of cake.  The math suggests a few slices of that cake have probably gone to others.  There's still some cake.  I don't see how there can still be 200k of cake.

Edited by mbrg
oops, that didn't work

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

knowing our needs I would think we had obviously 200k set aside for Westerman..obviously around 140-150 for Demski...most likely as the market is showing somewhere in the 130-150k range for a db/sam type guy and I would bet around 150-175k for a bigtime MLB...and you usually try and allot about 200kish for the available value/footsoldier type depth signings...

so in my opinion we used 80k for Lafrance outta depth/foot soldier...ate up the DB/Sam budget..and the Demski budget...so would bet we have Westerman money and the depth money still...and if we were in better cap space than us lay people think...could have more

and if it isn't used up...well then there's your 2018 re-ups at season end...

From experience that is how teams do it..well fiscally responsible ones do it in free agency...you dont just put a pile of money in a pot..and sign..sign..sign and see what u have left...u plan for all scenarios and also have money there for a situation such as Westermans and if it had dragged on for days and he came back with a counter

I absolutely agree that the Bombers weren't going to be spending up to the cap in free agency.  They had some flexibility and will still have some now.  More that Westerman's refusal to sign prior to free agency made putting more of Westerman's icing on Demski's cake a logical choice.

Fenner tho probably less than 2018 Heath...And Drew W is less money than 2017 Coates...Jeffcoat and Poop are less combined than 2018 Westerman and since we are going all Import on d-line thats a savings..2018 Nevis is less than 2017 Nevis...same with Medlock...and Dressler

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Fenner tho probably less than 2018 Heath...And Drew W is less money than 2017 Coates...Jeffcoat and Poop are less combined than 2018 Westerman and since we are going all Import on d-line thats a savings..2018 Nevis is less than 2017 Nevis...same with Medlock...and Dressler

Hurl was probably 100k range...

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

I'm sure the bombers had $$ for Boundary HB with or without Westerman... no way they go into the season with Fogg or Clarke

Carmichael probably made everyone gunshy too

Probably would have grabbed a fa, but I bet it would have been one of the more inexpensive guys still waiting for a contract right now.