CFL Expansion

Rich

http://3downnation.com/2017/10/25/commioner-randy-ambrosie-cfl-expansion-time/

“We’ve been talking about it for too long, so it’s time to do it. Everybody wants to see a 10th team. Everybody wants to see us have a partner out east and Halifax is the community everybody talks about. As I’ve said to the governors, it has to be done smart. It has to be a creative business model, where it’s financially positive to all. I think we can do it.”

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think it is kind of a chicken and the egg thing.  Who wants to spend that much money on a stadium (typically government will need to step up here) when no one really knows if a CFL team will be supported.

Community owned?

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

the other aspect is travel...assuming the next logical landing spot is the maritimes, it's been reported in the past that travelling that far east (and vice versa) would be a sticking point...

Only cause the pansies in Ontario don't want to go outside their own little bubble in Southern Ontario. Christ if Toronto or Hamilton had to travel like Winnipeg did they'd never stop crying. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Community owned?

Still have to have someone front the money for a venue and a franchise, though.

Fan support is a big thing, too. But if executed properly, similar to what we've seen in Ottawa, I have no reason to think a CFL franchise in the Maritimes wouldn't get fan support.

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

The Irving and McCain families in the Maritimes have more more than God and there is a federal election coming up in a couple of years, so maybe the stars will align. I'm not going to bet the farm on it, though.

The Stellarton Sobeys might be an option as well.  There is more than loose change jangling in those pockets. 

The time is right.  The league found the way to make an expansion team relevant with the last expansion effort and the feds can't spend our grandchildren's money fast enough.  When you think about it, this would be a great way to celebrate Canada's 150th with an announcement at Grey Cup.

The league needs a 10th team.  The maritimes need something like this.  I guarantee the people of those provinces would revel in their team kicking Toronto's/Ottawa's/Calgary's butt in something that matters to some of those markets.

Ron Joyce (Timmy's) could cut a cheque tomorrow and have this done.... the real problem is finding an ownership group that is actually going to be invested in the team, and not just be backing it financially.   If you don't have owners who are actively involved, it won't work out there.  I had read at one time that there is a group of people who have been exploring it, and there would be 4-5 people involved in the ownership.   Would people travel 9 times a year from Moncton to Halifax, or vice versa to go watch football??  You might get a handful, but most would probably be 1-2 times a year, and I don't know that the fan base is large enough and sustainable.  I'd love to be wrong though, cause I'd make a trip out there to see the Bombers!!

I'm all for expansion in Canada, I just don't see it happening out east for the reasons that have been listed..but also, how shitty would the game times be out there? Especially if you're on the west coast. Or how late would the game start if they were visiting the Lions. I just don't see it happening in the East. I think Quebec would be the farthest it could work.

3 hours ago, Double Dare said:

If the CFL was looking to expand quickly, I would think that Quebec City is more CFL-ready than Halifax. Larger population, rabid fan base for their CIS team and they could potentially expand their current CIS stadium similar to McGill in Montreal.

Laval wont allow it. 

12 minutes ago, max power said:

I did not realize that the maritimes were in a different time zone than eastern Canada!  I remember that Newfoundland is off by half an hour, from a childhood of watching CBC commercials.

To be fair, I was just assuming they were...I don't actually know....if only I had a way to find out....