The Next Two Games

BBRT

With TWO games left here is what I think could and probably will happen (note the term probably)

Week 19

MTL - Sask (easy win for the riders)

BC-WPG (a must win or else we are in deep do-do if we want to host a home game)

CAL-EDM - Calgary gets their mojo back and does us a big favor and stomps on the Esks

Week 20

WPG - CAL - hopefully a nothing game so anything is possible but to be fair I think Calgary will be focused on getting their game back.

EDM-SASK - this one will be interesting and not sure what to think- If and that is a big if the Bombers have locked down home field based on a win in Week 19 than this game determines who crosses over to the East and who comes to the Peg for the semi final.

IF and that is a Great Big IF we beat BC next week then what happens in Week 20 is does not matter all that much for us. However if we lose to BC in the Peg and need a win in Calgary in week 20 I really think we will be hard pressed to beat Calgary even though the game will not mean all that much to them.

What do others think?

Saskatchewan and Winnipeg both win their week 19 games relatively easily.  Calgary vs Edmonton?  Calgary is trending downward (BLM is rather pedestrian and Reilly is the best QB in the league) and Edmonton is hungry.  I think Edmonton wins it in an absolute beauty of a game.

Week 20?  

Winnipeg beats Calgary who limps into the playoffs full of self-doubt.  Edmonton probably beats a Rider team which throughout this season hasn't put together more then a few good games at a time.  Also, the game will mean a lot more for the Esks.

Edited by mfranc

Worth remembering the only way a loss to BC means we need a win in Calgary to host a playoff game is if the Esks beat Calgary this week, and if that's the case then suddenly Calgary is on a 2 game losing skid and aren't as insurmountable an obstacle as they might seem. 

19 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

It's important to lock up 2nd this weekend so we can rest any of our starters who need it for the last game.

Agreed. Gotta punch the Lions in the mouth once more and lock up second place and a home playoff game. The Bombers can't rely on another team losing. Or at least they shouldn't.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I think it's important we win the next two games. Gives the team some momentum going into the playoffs and, more importantly, proves my prediction of a 13-5 record.

Go Bombers, do it for me!

Agreed. The Bombers have to view the BC game as a confidence test. It has to be way better to win your way into a favourable playoff spot rather than back in due to rivals losing. If the Bombers lose to BC, their confidence will be very low going into the Calgary game. Calgary looked terrible against the Riders, but I wouldn't count on that continuing. Winning against BC has to dramatically increase the chances of beating the Stamps and will create the best mindset for the playoffs. With damned near the whole west stumbling, plus the best QB in the league, its probably the best chance to get the the Cup game in years.

(According to Daren Bauming and others...)

Bond is "day to day" and questionable for this weekend. Neufeld in at LG. 

Randle, Mike Miller and Jesse Briggs should be good this week (dinged recently)

Flanders still not practicing. They say he's getting closer, tho...Bauming told he's batting a hamstring.

Medlock nailed back to back's from 50+ in practice, and for those asking, Coates is still the holder...

Hardrick is "a tough guy to keep down", says MOS, when asked if he's really hurt. They're waiting for an update on him

Edited by Noeller

Still some time to go until Saturday, but if Hardrick can't go, I assume Foketi takes his spot and Spooner gets activated?  Has Foketi played inside before?  Maybe he kicks in to G and Neufeld can play RT?

With Neufeld starting (likely), can we now have Nevis and Poop playing at the same damn time?  Or maybe we can keep Hurl off the field?   I know, I know, wishful thinking.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Crap.....

#Bombers T Jermarcus Hardrick appeared to suffer a lower-body injury in practice. He is heading to the locker room

Not much drop off with Foketi in that position, more concerned with Bond's absence and his run blocking edge over Neufeld.  With no Flanders all BC has to do is focus on Harris to shut down the running game completely.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I'm ok with Foketi for one game. Would love to sit Hurl if we start Neufeld but suspect that we get Nevis/Johnson at DT which is good too. Hurl may start for the next five years with MOS.

As much as I don’t want Hurl playing, there’s no point in benching for him one game if we’ll have to put him back in once Bond is healthy. 

I think we have to consider starting Coates at receiver and using that spot to play both of Nevis/Poop or benching Hurl.

Edited by Blueandgold

The way the Lions lost this last weekend and with that team likely in freefall, I just can't see them getting up the mojo to pull it out this week on the road.

Calgary will be interesting.  If they do indeed bounceback this week then that too locks up our homefield for the WSF, but if not then it does make a W this Saturday or next a must.

I'm with Sweep the leg.  I'd rather just go into Calgary in week 20 like a preseason game because if we go in there needing to win when they don't have to, we might be showing them our cards and giving them stuff to prep for in the playoffs.  I'd say it's best not to be doing that.  Make that game in week 20 a non-issue and then get ready for playoffs.

Edited by USABomberfan

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Sounds like  Bond and Hardrick both out this week, with Neufeld in at LG and Foketi at RT. Randle back practicing today, but Mike Miller, Jesse Briggs and Timothy Flanders all non-participants still...

The injury bug sure picked a shitty-ass time to bite this team. Goddammit.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Sounds like  Bond and Hardrick both out this week, with Neufeld in at LG and Foketi at RT. Randle back practicing today, but Mike Miller, Jesse Briggs and Timothy Flanders all non-participants still...

This will be the first time all season that we have to change our starting o-line. Only 5 have started there all year. Incredible.

I hope they're back for week 20.