The Next Two Games

BBRT

That injury bug is going to show whether the Bombers are a great team or merely a winning team that's been lucky on the injury front. Greats keep on winning no matter who they roll out.

This is the time when the entire football department is put to the test: does our bench have enough talent, and do the coaches prepare the subs well enough?  

This is my one beef with the 2017 bombers, that our subs, especially receivers and DBs, look like they're in over their heads.  You look at Edmonton, when Duke Williams was hurt, they rolled out Hazelton and there wasn't a lot of dropoff there.  Plus they've had that parade of running backs, not one of whom has looked out of place.

29 minutes ago, johnzo said:

That injury bug is going to show whether the Bombers are a great team or merely a winning team that's been lucky on the injury front. Greats keep on winning no matter who they roll out.

This is the time when the entire football department is put to the test: does our bench have enough talent, and do the coaches prepare the subs well enough?  

This is my one beef with the 2017 bombers, that our subs, especially receivers and DBs, look like they're in over their heads.  You look at Edmonton, when Duke Williams was hurt, they rolled out Hazelton and there wasn't a lot of dropoff there.  Plus they've had that parade of running backs, not one of whom has looked out of place.

was that during their 7-0 start or the 0-6 streak after that? Poor choice as an example is all I'm saying. CGY or even SSK would have been better.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

The funny thing about Edmonton is that Bowman has been the worst of their import receivers this year. They definitely have a lot of depth in that area,  including two studs in Zlystra and Walker.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

was that during their 7-0 start or the 0-6 streak after that? Poor choice as an example is all I'm saying. CGY or even SSK would have been better.

That was just an example of their game vs. us from a couple weeks ago -- at the start of the game the TSN guys mentioned that Williams was hurt and Hazelton was starting at WR instead.  Hazelton made some plays  in that game and totally looked like he belonged.

During their 7-0 run they started White, Perkins, and Van at RB and each of them was effective.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Did they give a reason?

No, but my guess he's banged up. Here's the article: http://3downnation.com/2017/10/25/questions-gridiron-boardroom-loom-lions-close-season/

...tailback Jeremiah Johnson may miss the 1,000-yard rushing mark as an expected healthy scratch Saturday. Another starter who will be out is offensive lineman Hunter Steward, who was on crutches Wednesday after suffering a sprained ankle and will not play in the final two games.

On 10/24/2017 at 5:34 PM, Blueandgold said:

As much as I don’t want Hurl playing, there’s no point in benching for him one game if we’ll have to put him back in once Bond is healthy. 

I think we have to consider starting Coates at receiver and using that spot to play both of Nevis/Poop or benching Hurl.

I disagree. I'd love to see someone take over for Hurl for a game. He's being defended as doing a good job of filling his role, but if someone else comes in for a game and can make a difference we know that its bullshit.

The way I see it you either play Nevis and Poop if Hurl is behind him or if you insist on playing Thomas at tackle then get a big time disruptive force in at middle linebacker. Since I don't know if they have that player on the roster at MLB then just play Nevis and Poop at the same time already! For fox creek it's not that complicated. Those two make life hell on opposing offensive lines and makes the D better. Do whatever it takes to the ratio to make it work. 

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The way I see it you either play Nevis and Poop if Hurl is behind him or if you insist on playing Thomas at tackle then get a big time disruptive force in at middle linebacker. Since I don't know if they have that player on the roster at MLB then just play Nevis and Poop at the same time already! For fox creek it's not that complicated. Those two make life hell on opposing offensive lines and makes the D better. Do whatever it takes to the ratio to make it work. 

The entire defence actually looked decent last game they had both those guys in.

"it starts up front on both sides of the ball"  

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, tracker said:

This has to fixed SAP- we are on the cusp of the playoffs and have to have a settled and respected defence before we get there. Hurl and Knox have had ample opportunity to show their stuff, and have been found wanting.

I suspect that the time to replace them has long passed for this season. 

4 hours ago, J5V said:

I suspect that the time to replace them has long passed for this season. 

Very little chance Bombers will bring in new pieces, but maybe O'Shea can convince Hall to utilize the pieces that are are here in a better system. As a defensive player, O'Shea ought to be able to figure out what is actually going to work consistently.

27 minutes ago, mfranc said:

Well, the Riders aren't even two years into a complete rebuild so making the playoffs is already a win.  The expectations for the current Bomber regime are much higher.

The expectations for the Bombers have been higher since Walters and O'Shea took over, though. Decades long drought and whatnot.

I still don't see how the Riders are playing with house money, though. 

46 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I hate to agree with a Rider fan but....

Yeah I tend to agree as well. Panic is an overstatement because 2 games to lock up a home playoff game is a pretty good situation, never mind being able to clinch with one edmonton loss over two games. But a loss will start raising more eyebrows.

Edited by Judd

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The expectations for the Bombers have been higher since Walters and O'Shea took over, though. Decades long drought and whatnot.

I still don't see how the Riders are playing with house money, though. 

I think what "house money" means is that no matter what happens this season, the Rider faithful will applaud like trained seals and Jones will return next year to bring all those special qualities that we have all grown to love back to the Riders and CFL.