Around the League - Regular Season Discussion (Redux)

BigBlue

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Seems like they're trying to break last years record for most signings, they have to be #1 at something I guess....

Yeah, it's crazy. They brought back RB Joe Craig 2 days ago and then released him today. 

I understand a team wanting  to constantly improve their team but are players really being given the fair opportunity? 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

so he signed for 75-80k for this and next...Foster and Knox signings must have had a bigger price tag than a rookie...gave 20k to Holley today as a bonus towards this years cap..have a few higher priced guys even tho Glenn makes chump change as a base...but is prob hitting a lot of his bonus...they must be tight on cap space...if not over...most teams generally try to keep 300-400 as a safety net once season started and rosters finalized for injuries...NFL cuts..etc...you would think they have used that up...christ they sign new guys daily...tho i guess when u dump a pile on 6 game it helps you a bit

Can we really expect the "Flagship Franchise" of the CFL to follow the rules like everybody else? I mean that province of 1.3 million drives everything in the league, tv ratings and revenue, gate attendance, merchandise. We all just need to ignore the two "Save Our Riders Telethons" and acknowledge our new Rider overlords. ;)

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Can we really expect the "Flagship Franchise" of the CFL to follow the rules like everybody else? I mean that province of 1.16 million drives everything in the league, tv ratings and revenue, gate attendance, merchandise. We all just need to ignore the two "Save Our Riders Telethons" and acknowledge our new Rider overlords. ;)

Couldn't let it slide for some reason lol 

2 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

It's actually funny that Justin Dunk reported back in August that the two sides were working on a contract. Reading all the Rider fans' tweets  to Dunk at that time was pretty funny. They were pretty much saying that Dunk was full of poop, and it wasn't going to happen,  and saying he wasn't credible...

Looks like Dunk was right again...

Is you automatically assume that Riders fans are full of BS, you are halfway home.

Edited by tracker

10 minutes ago, Mark F said:

must be the first time in history of cfl, that two  no. 1 nfl draft picks have been signed to one team in the same season.

I remember when R. Williams came to the CFL, Toronto I think. The entire Bomber defence was tackling him every time he got the ball .one guy against 12   :lol:

The 1981 Alouettes signed Billy White Shoes Johnson, Vince Ferragamo and David Overstreet.  Only Overstreet street was a 1st rounder but the other 2 were established NFLers. 

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

So with Richardson signing is Marshal gone? Pulling out all the stops and everything else to boot...

Amazing how the Riders can sign every available free agent football player not only in North America but the entire world yet the Riders don't go over the cap. Like I've said before, the CFL just looks the other way. The league doesn't have the balls to come down on the Riders. 

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Amazing how the Riders can sign every available free agent football player not only in North America but the entire world yet the Riders don't go over the cap. Like I've said before, the CFL just looks the other way. The league doesn't have the balls to come down on the Riders. 

There's no conspiracy ... 

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can anyone explain how the Riders can continually sign players day after day? I'd sure like to know. Can't stand that team. 

I'm 50/50...

John Murphy has some insane connections in the states... but I'd also believe that the Riders are offering 'extras' beyond the cap.  More than just free car washes.

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Glenn be working for cheap & they give their PR guys a little extra cheese on the taco.

I would agree if it was the normal number of signings like other teams but this has become ridiculous.  I'd love for the CFL to be transparent & release their salary cap audits so we would know for sure. 

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can anyone explain how the Riders can continually sign players day after day? I'd sure like to know. Can't stand that team. 

Jones is either paying the majority of his players entry level wages or they're cooking the books.  Either way I can't see how this strategy will attract F.A.'s or retain veteran players needed to build a sustainable winner.  I think he's playing the short-term game and doesn't intend to stick around for the long run.

Glenn is supposed to have a $200,000 base deal with bonuses to make it $300,000 based on starts. You have to assume he's at around $260,000 and will end up at $300,000. So they save what $100,000-$150,000 compared to some teams? Not enough on the surface but they have used the six game a lot and who knows maybe more people than we think want to go to Saskatchewan for $50,000 a year or $50,000 prorated.