Game day thread: Montreal here

BigBlue

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Hebert is like Jovon.....he needs to have a chip on his shoulder to play his best, even if he has to manufacture the drama internally......

Quite a few players I can think of do the same thing. Seems to work pretty well for some of them.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Actually Montreal's seven starting Canadians look pretty good!  I'd put them on par with our own, maybe a little better actually.

For the record, I meant that as a legitimate question... I think they're pretty good too... just wondering if that's the kind of starting 7 he prefers?... I like ours better, but I'm not saying Mtl's is bad... 

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This one be one of the oddest comments you've had in a while... which says a lot...

First off, Walker is not Canadian... secondly, you missed Westerman... third you missed a heavy dose of Jake Thomas (which is a good thing)... fourth, Chungh, Goossen, Westerman, Loffler, and Harris are all above average, if not excellent, players... do we need to be fielding 7 CFL all-star Canadians for you to be satisfied with our Canadian content?? 

Would you prefer if we had Phil Blake, Luc B-J, Kris Matte, George Johnson, Shologan, Jabar Westerman, and Chirs Akie?.... Seriously, would you consider that a better starting 7?

I wouldn't, thats for sure.    I'd rank our canadians as excellent as well for the most part with the exception of average JFG and Hurl.

43 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm hoping we feed Harris as much as possible.  Nichols is the same every week no matter who we face.... protects the ball and throws for 250-300 yards.  We don't need a high-scoring game to win, just protect the ball and let Harris do the dirty work.

That'll work until they stuff Harris for 2 yard gains multiple times, then what?  They'll also be looking for the fly-sweep this game, so that play will be good for a few losses.  This would be an excellent opportunity to dress Flanders and throw something completely new at them.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That'll work until they stuff Harris for 2 yard gains multiple times, then what?  They'll also be looking for the fly-sweep this game, so that play will be good for a few losses.  This would be an excellent opportunity to dress Flanders and throw something completely new at them.

I don't know why everyone hates on the Dressler rush plays.  I think they've been awesome.  They've certainly been effective.  Nobody else in the CFL runs anything like that and does it so well.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

then you go back to Harris the next series... I'm sure you've watched him enough in his career to know that he only gets stopped for so long... and I don't love the "fly-sweep" either but it has had decent success for the most part this year...

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I don't know why everyone hates on the Dressler rush plays.  I think they've been awesome.  They've certainly been effective.  Nobody else in the CFL runs anything like that and does it so well.

I don't hate the fly-sweep at all and they have worked fairly well this year but you have to think the Als. are going to be looking for that play tonight and with Cox and Hebert they should be able to cut Dressler down before he turns up field.  Max. usage 2-3 times.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't hate the fly-sweep at all and they have worked fairly well this year but you have to think the Als. are going to be looking for that play tonight and with Cox and Hebert they should be able to cut Dressler down before he turns up field.  Max. usage 2-3 times.

But that's a good thing.  That's the point of running it.  It gives the Als something else to watch for and ideally opens things up for Harris and the passing game.  The package includes a fake hand-off to Harris so you can run out of that package and hand it off to Harris or Dressler or fake to both, pull it and pass downfield or run the QB draw.

Sure it fails sometimes but so does every play.  It's been a nice addition to the offence.

13 minutes ago, Atomic said:

ya if he catches the edge, hes gone for a first down almost every time.  I'm waiting for it to happen when the LBs are caught napping or blitzing and hes one on one with a DB and then gone to pay dirt.

21 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I hope they are looking for it.  That's exactly why you run it.  Get their DBs and LBs flat footed and leave open space to complete passes.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/26/matt-nichols-says-respects-alouettes-defence-kyries-hebert-isnt-buying/

Hebert's reaction:

What an odd interpretation. Nichols makes no specific mention of a player but Hebert decides to take it personally. What a neurotic weirdo.

No sir that is being competitive. "Let's show him for disrespecting us!!". Mind games:  4th team after offence, defence and special teams.

43 minutes ago, LeBird said:

Dreaming of the good old days of the Jet Pack. Man I miss those.....not. I don't mind seeing something different. Keeps the LB's thinking maybe this play.

I hope you are joking. In my humble opinion the jet package was too much east west and did not offer the kind of options that the Dressler sweep play does.

Actually there have been some really cool plays this year with pulls, misdirections and rubs. If the team gets its poop lined up in quarters 1 and 4 there could be some serious fireworks.

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

How is Durant a better QB then Nichols at this point in their career? Don't get me wrong I love me some DD but he's lost a step or two from his prime playing days. I'd take Nichols any day. 

yea I don't get the logic either.  Durant WAS a better QB before but i'd say they are comparable at this point or Nichols may get the nod.

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

How is Durant a better QB then Nichols at this point in their career? Don't get me wrong I love me some DD but he's lost a step or two from his prime playing days. I'd take Nichols any day. 

Durant is more like Michael Bishop right now.  He could come out and throw for 450 yards or he could throw for 200 and 4 INTs.

GAME DAY BOMBERS!

Reminder that tomorrow's game vs @MTLAlouettes is carried live on ESPN2 in the US. #Bombers

CFL NOTES

**Winnipeg has a 49-19 (+30) scoring edge in the 3rd Quarter but that has turned itself around in the  4th Quarter with opponents outscoring them 42-9 (-33). Winnipeg has yet to score a 4th Quarter touchdown this season. 

**The Blue Bombers are the only team to go over the 20-point mark in one quarter and they have done it twice. Winnipeg scored 21 points in the 3rd Quarter in Week #1 and repeated that feat last week in BC. The last time 

**Winnipeg had two 20-point Quarters in one season was 2010 (Jul 24/10 & Oct 11/10). 

**The Alouettes have allowed only 15 points in the 1st Quarter all season thus far but unusually have led just once (and losing that game at that). Opponents are averaging just 3 points against Montreal in the opening frame and have been forced to kick or turn the ball over 13 times in 17 possessions. 

**Harris has made 28 receptions in 4 games - averaging 7 per game and is on pace for 126 for the season. That is far ahead of the CFL record for running backs set by Craig Ellis in 1985 of 102 receptions.

**This game features the #1 defence in the CFL in Montreal who has allowed only 21.8 points per game against the #2 scoring team in Winnipeg at 32.0 ppg. Montreal has allowed only 9 "big plays" (#2 in the CFL) while Winnipeg has allowed 16. For starting QBs, Durant and Nichols have met twice before with Nichols leading his club to a win each time. 

**Ryan Lankford leads the CFL in kickoff returns with 550 yards in just 4 games, on pace for a season total of 2,475 which would easily surpass the CFL record set by Ian Smart of BC in 2008 of 1,805 yards. The Blue Bombers record is 1,695 by Eric Blount set in 1998. Lankford is #2 in combined yards at 778, a pace that would take him over 3,500 yards. 

**The Alouettes are ranked #1 in the CFL averaging 7.3 yards per play and #4 in Net Offence (371 per game) but are #8 in scoring offence at 19.0 points per game. They have moved the ball as well as any club but their Red Zone % of just 41% is #7 ranked.

The Skinny  - Ed Tait

On the offensive side of the ball, Montreal leads the league in rushing yards (502) but with Sutton out of the lineup, the Als may turn more to their passing game. Durant is coming off of his most successful game of the season and will look to ride that momentum into Week 6 despite the losing effort against the REDBLACKS. Montreal’s offensive line continues week after week to give Durant ample time to make decisions, with a league-low three sacks allowed all season.

The Bombers defence also ranks at the top of the league in stopping the run. They have allowed a CFL best 50.3 yards per game on the ground. The Als have heavily relied on their run game thus far, but if the rush is halted, Durant must turn to his receiving core to move the chains.

?‍? The West is 9-2 against the East. I'm looking at the Blue to make it 10-2

CCBD08_A9-7_DA9-421_A-_AC1_B-2_E2_D441_F