Game day thread: Montreal here

BigBlue

I am seeing today's game as a chance to put it all together, to start to build some momentum

Durant is a better QB than Nichols but they can both get the job done

I am expecting a lot of blitzing from Montreal but I think Lapo will have us ready to pick such apart

We might win the battle of the trenches today .... it's a matter of pride and time to step up .... and Ritchie Hall needs pressure on the QB to keep the cracks from showing up in the secondary ... it seems inevitable we are going to get beat deep a couple of times but we have to limit it to just that

How average  are our Canadians that we have starting today?

Loffler, Walker & Hurl

Chung, Goosen, JFG, Harris & Normand

I am not sure how much of an edge that is but I think it's a little bit. Our backups might be a bigger edge. How the injury bug goes may determine more than we realize.

I expect we will win because we want it more and our confidence is going to come to the forefront, finally.

21 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I am seeing today's game as a chance to put it all together, to start to build some momentum

I am expecting a lot of blitzing from Montreal but I think Lapo will have us ready to pick such apart

We might win the battle of the trenches today .... it's a matter of pride and time to step up .... and Ritchie Hall needs pressure on the QB to keep the cracks from showing up in the secondary ... it seems inevitable we are going to get beat deep a couple of times but we have to limit it to just that

Loffler, Walker & Hurl

I am not sure how much of an edge that is but I think it's a little bit. Our backups might be a bigger edge. How the injury bug goes may determine more than we realize.

I expect we will win because we want it more and our confidence is going to come to the forefront, finally.

We need to play 60 minutes of football on offense, defense, and special teams. Even then, it might not be enough despite how stud-laden some think our team is. For this team, 60 minutes of football is a bare minimum expectation. If we can do that, and our schemes are sound, and our adjustments are as good or better than theirs, we have a chance. If we can do that, and we lose, I can accept it. If we pull our usual disappearing act and play only half a game or less, it will be totally unacceptable. Time for O'Shea's boys to become men and I want to see it start tonight. No excuses.

47 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Loffler, Walker & Hurl

Unless his first name is Mervin, Walker isn't a Natl.. 

BB, I disagree with your premise that Durant is better than Nichols. That may well have been true if Durant was at the top of his career, but I would take Nichols tonight every time. Our overall talent is better but that means squat when the whistle blows to start the kickoff. It all comes down to execution and the truth is that we have a crappy defence, not on paper but in performance. Time for the team to prove it is a contender, and there is no reason for the Big Blue to lose this one.

20 minutes ago, tracker said:

BB, I disagree with your premise that Durant is better than Nichols. That may well have been true if Durant was at the top of his career, but I would take Nichols tonight every time. Our overall talent is better but that means squat when the whistle blows to start the kickoff. It all comes down to execution and the truth is that we have a crappy defence, not on paper but in performance. Time for the team to prove it is a contender, and there is no reason for the Big Blue to lose this one.

If all else is equal and I need to win a game I'll take Durant over Nichols as my QB.

60 minutes in all 3 phases is a start, and if that happens I think our overall talent is better and that should allow for the win.....but

We have to stop playing scared on offence and get into the mindset to continually attack and push the ball down field..enough of the safe plays hoping to make the first guy miss and rack up first downs, with minimal threat of a turn over. I'd rather we go vertical often and if the odd one gets picked 40 yards down field I'd rather have that then dink and dunk and punt anyway. We need to believe we can win the 50/50 balls deep.

Defence is pressure from all over and mixing looks up as that always messes up Durant, especially if our crowd comes to play and brings the noise. Durant is horrible dealing with that and is very prone to mental errors and serving up ducks...he can't take the noise very well.

And lastly no brain farts and dumb in game decisions...we are veteran enough and coaches are experienced enough to eliminate that...like they say there is a thin line between clever and stupid...

37 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm expecting a win this week.  Key matchup is BJ Cunningham and Ernest Jackson against our secondary.  Win that battle and we win the game.

Key matchup for me is Nichols vs the zone blitz.  He needs to show he can count past four and make quick decisions or it's going to be a long night of hoping for big plays from D and kicks.

7 minutes ago, tracker said:

Durant is very good at the 10-15 yard passes which is what killed us against BC. With the liability of Hurl in the middle, I expect that plus Carmichael's area to be the main targets for Durant.

It'll be key to get a solid pass rush going and put the pressure on Durant early on tonight - he's less effective when he's off his game. Offensively, Harris needs more touches on the ground to establish a balanced attack and open things up a bit. Nichols has to be better and more sure of himself, too. I expect ST will be good tonight and I'm hopeful Fogg will get in on punt returns. Expect a big bounce-back game from Medlock.

Basically, copy what was done in week 4 vs. the Argonauts and I think our boys will be golden.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It'll be key to get a solid pass rush going and put the pressure on Durant early on tonight - he's less effective when he's off his game. Offensively, Harris needs more touches on the ground to establish a balanced attack and open things up a bit. Nichols has to be better and more sure of himself, too. I expect ST will be good tonight and I'm hopeful Fogg will get in on punt returns. Expect a big bounce-back game from Medlock.

Basically, copy what was done in week 4 vs. the Argonauts and I think our boys will be golden.

I agree with this 100% 

45 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Key matchup for me is Nichols vs the zone blitz.  He needs to show he can count past four and make quick decisions or it's going to be a long night of hoping for big plays from D and kicks.

I'm hoping we feed Harris as much as possible.  Nichols is the same every week no matter who we face.... protects the ball and throws for 250-300 yards.  We don't need a high-scoring game to win, just protect the ball and let Harris do the dirty work.

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/26/matt-nichols-says-respects-alouettes-defence-kyries-hebert-isnt-buying/

Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols described the Alouettes as having the “toughest defence” in the league.

It’s a defence Nichols said will give the Bombers (2-2) the toughest test of the season.

“They cause a lot of chaos – a lot of different blitzes, a lot of different coverages,” Nichols said after his team’s morning walk-through.

“They get after you, and they do it for four quarters. They make it tough. I think it’s been the toughest defence to play against for the last few years.”

Hebert's reaction:

“Usually when guys tell you how good that you are, it’s really just to soften you up or to get you thinking,” Hebert said. “I don’t want to hear it.

“In my mind, he thinks we’re the worst and we’re not good and I’m the sorriest player on earth. That’s what I think he thinks about me so I’m going into the game with that approach, not that he thinks that we’re good.”

What an odd interpretation. Nichols makes no specific mention of a player but Hebert decides to take it personally. What a neurotic weirdo.

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/26/matt-nichols-says-respects-alouettes-defence-kyries-hebert-isnt-buying/

Hebert's reaction:

What an odd interpretation. Nichols makes no specific mention of a player but Hebert decides to take it personally. What a neurotic weirdo.

It's clear Nichols is livin in Kyries head rent free, by saying such mean and disrespectful things ;)

?‍?Bombers - top D against the rush

?‍?Alouettes - top rush against a D

?‍?But the Bombers are a whopping 1.1 more in passing yardage per game, than the Alouettes

?‍?Montreal has 15 more total yards per game, but we have almost 2 sacks per game while Montreal has just over half a sack per game. So, to illustrate, that would look something like this.. Bombers sacksac, and the Alouettes, sa.

Ed Tait  - By The Numbers

3 – Average points that the Alouettes have given up in the first quarter all season. Yet, they have led just once after 15 minutes of play.

7 – Career games Darian Durant has thrown for 400 or more yards.

8 – Quarterback pressures recorded by John Bowman so far this year, ranking him fifth in the league.

9 – Touchdowns the Bombers have scored in their past two games.

26 – Receptions needed by Nik Lewis to pass Geroy Simon and become the CFL’s all-time receptions leader.

126 – Number of catches running back Andrew Harris is on pace for this year. The CFL record for receptions by a running back is 102, set by Craig Ellis back in 1982.

?‍? if we can keep feeding the ball to Andrew Harris in any way possible, it will greatly help Nichols in facing that ferocious defence Montreal puts on the field. We need a clear headed Nichols to execute and deliver this very winnable game..

13 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

It's clear Nichols is livin in Kyries head rent free, by saying such mean and disrespectful things ;)

its like Kyries needed some motivation to play us or something so he fabricated this elaborate angle behind Nichols being nice in the media, lol.   so bizarre..

9 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Loffler, Walker & Hurl

This one be one of the oddest comments you've had in a while... which says a lot...

First off, Walker is not Canadian... secondly, you missed Westerman... third you missed a heavy dose of Jake Thomas (which is a good thing)... fourth, Chungh, Goossen, Westerman, Loffler, and Harris are all above average, if not excellent, players... do we need to be fielding 7 CFL all-star Canadians for you to be satisfied with our Canadian content?? 

Would you prefer if we had Phil Blake, Luc B-J, Kris Matte, George Johnson, Shologan, Jabar Westerman, and Chirs Akie?.... Seriously, would you consider that a better starting 7?

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This one be one of the oddest comments you've had in a while... which says a lot...

First off, Walker is not Canadian... secondly, you missed Westerman... third you missed a heavy dose of Jake Thomas (which is a good thing)... fourth, Chungh, Goossen, Westerman, Loffler, and Harris are all above average, if not excellent, players... do we need to be fielding 7 CFL all-star Canadians for you to be satisfied with our Canadian content?? 

Would you prefer if we had Phil Blake, Luc B-J, Kris Matte, George Johnson, Shologan, Jabar Westerman, and Chirs Akie?.... Seriously, would you consider that a better starting 7?

Actually Montreal's seven starting Canadians look pretty good!  I'd put them on par with our own, maybe a little better actually.