Bombers Training Camp 2017 - May 28

Mr Dee

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

They must either REALLY like Apodaca or are bringing in another QB.

... side note, can Tylor Henry go back to school?

What's not to like about Apodaca....This kid looks like a keeper especially after hearing his first interview...Talented...smart and although it's early, I think he sticks

Just now, Stickem said:

What's not to like about Apodaca....This kid looks like a keeper especially after hearing his first interview...Talented...smart and although it's early, I think he sticks

I hope he does as well I just think it's interesting how early they cut Bell, This to me means Walters really likes the kid or has plans to bring in another guy.

39 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Probably, but even still a camp would have done him some good.  I don't think he was a counter, so why cut him now?

'Is it Taylor or Tyler?  This is too confusing...'  Cut.

40 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

I hope he does as well I just think it's interesting how early they cut Bell, This to me means Walters really likes the kid or has plans to bring in another guy.

To me it means they only want 4 qbs in main camp and rookie camp was the chance for the two rookie qbs to earn a spot. 

The release of Bell both excites me and worries me. Was he that bad to begin with or are the Bombers that much closer to having a solid core of QB candidates....finally? Are they bringing in another QB? Or were they just not satisfied with Bell's overall service package?

As to Henry, there has to be more to it, doesn't there? Or simply, he's not at that level at this present time.

Either way interesting cuts, to be sure.

edit - just found out that Henry has one more year of eligibility, still...why this early?

Edited by Mr Dee

4 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The release of Bell both excites me and worries me. Was he that bad to begin with or are the Bombers that much closer to having a solid core of QB candidates....finally? Are they bringing in another QB? Or were they just not satisfied with Bell's overall service package?

As to Henry, there has to be more to it, doesn't there? Or simply, he's not at that level at this present time.

In regards to the QB's they are almost exactly where they were last season, which seems to be their comfort zone.

47 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Curious about Henry, if he is hurt or what. Seems strange to not bring a non counter NI receiver to camp. As for Malcolm, I guess the Bell doesn't toll for thee.

There's some serious gnashing of teeth from others on this site, by you beating them to the punch with this stinker.

21 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

edit - just found out that Henry has one more year of eligibility, still...why this early?

Or he's an 8th round pick and just not good enough.

45 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

In regards to the QB's they are almost exactly where they were last season, which seems to be their comfort zone.

I think thats a great point. Our team does things their own way. They've stuck to the systems, and player mold to a T. A lot of things can result in an early departure from camp. From both a player and a team stand point. I do like that we are quick to make decisions when a guy isnt what they look for.

Over this regime of management we've seen them bring in and ship out qbs at a very quick pace. Makes me think they are looking for one thing above all else and if a the guy lacks that hes out. Could be a mentality thing. The mos guy work ethic, drive, love of the game, reserved outwardly fiery in side. Or could be accuracy, or maybe its more along the lines of the guys that didnt make it just didnt pick up the changes to the game and offense quick enough. They may not want a guy to sit on the side lines / PR for a year to just start to grasp the basics. Under most regimes a few guys we have brought in and sent out in short order would have sat around at least a year to see if they could put it together. Maybe some thing for one of the early coaches shows. 

Darron CameronTeam will also have a few additions later today before main camp opens tomorrow morning at Investors Group Field

Ed Tait

"You’ve got to have a guy down the middle that’s a strong leader that can direct traffic and have guys believe in him, fix mistakes quickly and make those plays that need to be made in a timely fashion." - Mike O'Shea 

?‍?Do we finally have a candidate worthy of this statement? The key words for me in MOS's statement for me is "in a timely fashion"

Ted Wyman - Winnipeg Sun

FAB FIVE - Players who stood out during the Blue Bombers three-day rookie camp

T.J. Thorpe

The 6-foot, 200-pound receiver from Virginia showed speed, agility and the ability to catch passes while working out of the slotback position.

Kieren Duncan

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound speedster from Colorado State-Pueblo spent some time with the team at the end of last season and is looking like a good candidate to crack the roster as a slotback and kick returner.

Padric Scott

The 6-foot, 287-pound defensive tackle from Florida A & M spent all of last season on the Bombers practice roster and played one game at the end of the season. He’s looking like a good candidate to back up Drake Nevis at defensive tackle.

Kendall Roberson

The 5-foot-10, 210-pound running back from East Texas Baptist is already making a good case for a practice roster spot with the Bombers by showing some speed and moves in rookie camp.

Austin Apodaca

Looked to gain an edge in the battle for the fourth quarterback spot over Malcolm Bell by showing a very strong arm. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound gunslinger from New Mexico could get a shot to develop with the Bombers.

Edit - 

WINNIPEG, MB., May 27, 2017 –  The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added International receiver Darrin Peterson, and National receiver Rahul Madan.

Peterson (6-2, 215,Liberty, July 14, 1994 in Attalla, AL) spent three seasons at Liberty, recording 210 receptions for 3,094 yards and 26 touchdowns in 36 games. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by Chicago (NFL) in 2016, playing in three preseason games with the Bears.

Madan (5-11, 195, University of Toronto, March 4, 1992 in Scarborough, ON) spent three seasons with the Toronto Varsity Blues after playing for the Western Mustangs for two seasons. He started in all eight games in 2016 and ranked fifth in the OUA with 45 receptions including 736 yards and two touchdowns. He was named an OUA second team all-star

o7nes9.jpg

Edited by Mr Dee

19 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

There's some serious gnashing of teeth from others on this site, by you beating them to the punch with this stinker.

I was going to say that he's a dead ringer. Or the sign on the cattle breeder's gate which read, "For Whom the Bull Toils".

?‍?Getting used to the writing of Ted Wyman. He's doing a good job, imo.

Ted Wyman is filling in quite nicely in his role of covering the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He keeps to the stories, so far, and doesn't let personal bias tarnish the facts. And for me, that's all I can expect from a sports writer.

Here's his latest after the zBombers cut 3 players yesterday: Bell, Seastrunk, and Henry.

"Apodaca, a 23-year-old from New Mexico with a gunslinger mentality, stood out over the three-day camp." Hence, the release of Bell.

"Seastrunk was battling with Kendall Roberson, who clearly had the better showing and will now get a chance to compete with Timothy Flanders in main camp."

"Henry, who was drafted in the eighth round this year out of the University of Alberta, will need to work on his game if he wants to get another CFL chance down the road."

With Henry no longer in the picture, the Bombers signed Canadian receiver Rahul Madan on Saturday. The 5-foot-11, 195-pound pass-catcher spent three seasons with the Toronto Varsity Blues and two with the Western Mustangs.

The Bombers also signed import receiver Darrin Peterson from Liberty. In three seasons there, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound Peterson had 210 catches for 3,094 yards and 26 touchdowns in 36 games.