Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

20 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Grown significantly?  So did the dandelions in my back yard.

You know I had a massive dandelion infestation in my yard but I hired a company to take care of it and the things are all gone now. I might recommend you do something similar if the dandelions are bothering you that much. 

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

and Kevin Glenn is gone again

what was the point of bringing him back if they weren't going to use him?

http://ow.ly/xcjr307KUYj

I feel like he was brought in as an insurance policy in case Nichols faltered last season. They clearly believe that with a camp getting #2 reps and another year under his belt Dom Davis is ready to be a reliable #2 guy.  And cheaper then Glenn. 

12 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I feel like he was brought in as an insurance policy in case Nichols faltered last season. They clearly believe that with a camp getting #2 reps and another year under his belt Dom Davis is ready to be a reliable #2 guy.  And cheaper then Glenn. 

Whoa it's Colin!! 

I think the team learned it's lesson from way back when Dinwiddie started the grey cup with zero game experience.... 

15 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Seems like a courtesy move, giving him that extra month to find a new job.

Or maybe they think Glenn's early availability will soften up the FA QB market?

Interesting idea.  Glenn's been on so many teams and around so long that trying to think of where he fits in 2017...there are no great fits.  Us (again again), the Riders (again again), and Montreal (again) seem more likely than the other 6 options.

My guess is both sides had a salary threshold for his services in mind that did not match and neither were willing to move on it at this point in time.  Maybe in 6 weeks one of them will feel differently.

5 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Interesting idea.  Glenn's been on so many teams and around so long that trying to think of where he fits in 2017...there are no great fits.  Us (again again), the Riders (again again), and Montreal (again) seem more likely than the other 6 options.

My guess is both sides had a salary threshold for his services in mind that did not match and neither were willing to move on it at this point in time.  Maybe in 6 weeks one of them will feel differently.

Scratch Montreal off the list.

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

Seems like a courtesy move, giving him that extra month to find a new job.

Or maybe they think Glenn's early availability will soften up the FA QB market?

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like this move. If it was about money and Glenn wanted to much, fine. But if not, he would be a tremendous experienced vet who could help Nichols and Davis.  You know what you get with him, I understand that. Not retaining him is a huge risk in not knowing how Dom Davis can actually perform in a real game. (and of course I hope he can do it well).

25 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Glenn may have well had a roster bonus due and was released as a result of that. Potentially they could still r sign him.

If so he should fire his agent because what player would agree to a roster bonus in January 1 month before they are a free agent.  

It's more than likely what they said... couldn't agree on contract numbers at this time

Read the link I posted earlier in the thread. They released him early because they felt it was the classy thing to do, to give Glenn extra time. To try and work out a deal somewhere. They said we can't offer you a deal right now because we're still working on Nichols. So here's your release early, so you're free to try to work something out elsewhere, but if that doesn't pan out, we may be able to do something here later. 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

Read the link I posted earlier in the thread. They released him early because they felt it was the classy thing to do, to give Glenn extra time. To try and work out a deal somewhere. They said we can't offer you a deal right now because we're still working on Nichols. So here's your release early, so you're free to try to work something out elsewhere, but if that doesn't pan out, we may be able to do something here later. 

If that's the case they should have a contract offer in a drawer waiting for his return.  If he can beat their numbers he signs elsewhere, if not, welcome back. 

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

If so he should fire his agent because what player would agree to a roster bonus in January 1 month before they are a free agent.  

It's more than likely what they said... couldn't agree on contract numbers at this time

... a smart one?

What's the downside?

Either you get paid money by a team you have no obligation to or you get cut and get a headstart on free agency.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Releasing Glenn has nothing to do with the cap or Nichols.

They do have a budget for the qb position under the cap for 2017 so I respectfully disagree. The money they saved on Glenn will go to Nichols. Decisions have to be made with remaining Bomber free agents as in who stays & who doesn't.