Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

17 hours ago, BigBlue said:

To me the Nichols acquisition is not unlike when we acquired Tom Burgess from the Riders ... in both cases we had a desperate QB situation and we ended up with a good not great QB 

And to me the Franklin situation would be a lot like the Willy situation. An unknown unproven backup QB who might turn out to be a gem and might turnout to be a dud. Guess that's why we keep signing guys and trying them out in hopes we get that future star! I'd be happy if Walters could resign Nichols and get either DD or Franklin here. Not sure its possible but having a proven starter and a good backup would be a good situation going into next season!

RE: Franklin and Nichols.

They've been down this road together before and I doubt either would be too happy with the situation.

If you're Nichols, how happy are you to be looking over your shoulder each week? Either the club believes in you or it doesn't. It's one thing to bring in a raw rookie (like Davis) that needs time to develop or a old vet, who can come in if you get injured or the game is out of reach. It's an entirely different scenario if you have a player who's seemingly ready to take the next step. And, who has supplanted you before as a starter.

If you're Franklin, why would you want to play behind Nichols again? I know he doesn't have much of choice if he's traded but his contract is up next year. He could leave next winter for nothing. Knowing the way MOS works, it's not as though Franklin is going to get many reps.

If you're the Walters, why would you pay to bring him in? Your coach doesn't like to change QBs and you'll pay a premium for a guy to sit. You may even lose him next year for nothing.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

They've been down this road together before and I doubt either would be too happy with the situation.

If you're Nichols, how happy are you to be looking over your shoulder each week? Either the club believes in you or it doesn't. It's one thing to bring in a raw rookie (like Davis) that needs time to develop or a old vet, who can come in if you get injured or the game is out of reach. It's an entirely different scenario if you have a player who's seemingly ready to take the next step. And, who has supplanted you before as a starter.

If you're Franklin, why would you want to play behind Nichols again? I know he doesn't have much of choice if he's traded but his contract is up next year. He could leave next winter for nothing. Knowing the way MOS works, it's not as though Franklin is going to get many reps.

If you're the Walters, why would you pay to bring him in? Your coach doesn't like to change QBs and you'll pay a premium for a guy to sit. You may even lose him next year for nothing.

The two teams in the finals have backups that could/should be legit starters in the league...  Looking over his shoulder upped Hank's game and Tate ended up being fine supporting BLM.

Nichols-Franklin-Glenn with Davis as 4th would be a pretty impressive lineup...  start transitioning Glenn into QB or Receivers coach

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The two teams in the finals have backups that could/should be legit starters in the league...  Looking over his shoulder upped Hank's game and Tate ended up being fine supporting BLM.

Nichols-Franklin-Glenn with Davis as 4th would be a pretty impressive lineup...  start transitioning Glenn into QB or Receivers coach

I'm not saying it can't work, I'm saying neither player wants to be put in the situation.

Hank was just as good last year, without Harris.

Tate had no choice due to injuries. He's accepted his role.

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm not saying it can't work, I'm saying neither player wants to be put in the situation.

Hank was just as good last year, without Harris.

Tate had no choice due to injuries. He's accepted his role.

But every team wants that situation... at every position...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

You have way too many dollars tied up at the QB situation there.

46 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I just wonder what Glenn would sign for now...?  $150k? 

$400, 250, 150...  about the same as what Ottawa has tied up in QBs no?

Harris took a low salary for 2016 but he's set to make $400,000 in 2017 according to Justin Dunk ($100,000 of that is a roster bonus due Feb 1). Hank's an FA so his salary will be gone because they definitely can't afford both.

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/24/henry-burris-trevor-harris/

No way Glenn makes on $150,000. That's 3rd string with no experience type money.

Edited by Jacquie

11 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Harris took a low salary for 2016 but he's set to make $400,000 in 2017 according to Justin Dunk ($100,000 of that is a roster bonus due Feb 1). Hank's an FA so his salary will be gone because they definitely can't afford both.

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/24/henry-burris-trevor-harris/

No way Glenn makes on $150,000. That's 3rd string with no experience type money.

Great article...   

I do think $150k for Glenn with potential bonuses in there is fine - I think Calgary was paying him close to that.  No?

For those three, your base salaries are pretty much $600k and then $100k in bonus for whoever ends up starting...  seems workable.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Nichols had Glenn looking over his shoulder & he never saw the field. O'Shea picks & his starter & sticks with him as long as he plays well. Even then it would take Mike 6-8 games to make a change so I don't think Nichols would ever have to worry about Franklin. I'll state this again, it'll take our first pick & at at least one of our dominant starters, maybe 2 to pry the kid out of Edmonton. That's too steep a price to pay in my opinion. I think people here would change their tune if they actually knew what Hervey would want for an unproven Franklin. Who, if he is so good would be gone from the Bombers in 2-3 seasons to the NFL.

54 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Nichols , like it or not is the deaf to starter and needs to be resigned. That still leaves the issue of having a competent back up in the fold, be it Glenn or someone else. This year again proved that having adequate depth at QB in the CFL is paramount.

I'd be happy to have Nichols & Glenn back & bring in a new 3rd stringer. Davis has been in the CFL for 3 seasons now & other than playing in a meaningless last regular season game in 2015 hasn't done anything to show that  he is a long term starter. Time to bring in another developmental qb.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd be happy to have Nichols & Glenn back & bring in a new 3rd stringer. Davis has been in the CFL for 3 seasons now & other than playing in a meaningless last regular season game in 2015 hasn't done anything to show that  he is a long term starter. Time to bring in another developmental qb.

I've heard a few people say it's time to cut bait on Davis and I don't understand why. He's only been in the league for 2 seasons (joined the league in 2015) and I'm not sure a 3rd string QB is expected to look like a long term starter at that stage in their career. Davis had a pretty good training camp in 2016. I suspect Walters and O'Shea will want to bring him back for one more go around. We'll find out soon enough.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He hasn't been in a position where he's been able to show anything one way or the other. Why in gods name are we going to throw away all the development that's already happened just because he's had more experienced guys ahead of him in the 1 and 2 slots his entire time here? 

If the coaches and GM want to make that call it's fine but we as fan can't say **** about what Davis can or can't do simply because we haven't been shown it. 

How dare Davis not start ahead of 300 - 400 thousand dollar man Willy and how dare he doesn't leap ahead of a vet like Nichols who led us to a big winning streak.     

Cutting Davis because he isn't the starter is ridiculous... if anything I hope he comes back because I would much rather have a guy who has trained and practiced with our club and is familiar with our players and system then throwing a nobody out with zero experience.  

Edited by Brandon

Why worry about a player like Davis who'll never start here because the coaches don't want him to? Nichols will probably sign &/or Glenn comes back. Judging by the way O'Shea plays his backup qbs & the lack of time they get we could get by with just about anyone. There are bigger concerns than a third string qb & posters getting bent out of shape over it if a fan like myself doesn't think he's that good.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why worry about a player like Davis who'll never start here because the coaches don't want him to? Nichols will probably sign &/or Glenn comes back. Judging by the way O'Shea plays his backup qbs & the lack of time they get we could get by with just about anyone. There are bigger concerns than a third string qb & posters getting bent out of shape over it if a fan like myself doesn't think he's that good.

No one is bent out of shape and it isn't a waste of time, it is the off season.  You posted an opinion, people disagreed.  It is discussion. It is how message boards work. 

5 hours ago, Rich said:

No one is bent out of shape and it isn't a waste of time, it is the off season.  You posted an opinion, people disagreed.  It is discussion. It is how message boards work. 

Some here I noticed seem to think that Nichols is a poor qb & state that he's not worth the money he'll probably get from the Bombers. They feel that any other qb is better. I have heard names like Rakeem Cato & Franklin being thrown around for good measure. They are willing to ditch Nichols & hand the team over to an inexperienced qb in Franklin. They seem to think that to overpaying & trading for Franklin with draft picks & starters is a good thing. OTOH, they feel that paying Nichols anywhere close to what he wants is a bad thing.  A CFL qb's salary is not guaranteed so if necessary he can be released if there are no takers in a trade. However, oonce we trade players & draft picks there's no way going back. As far as Davis goes, he's in a bad situation with O'Shea as he'll never play & if he really desires to become a starter he has to leave the Bombers & look for opportunities elsewhere. That'swhy I think arguing about the 3rd string qb position isn't that important. Davis is interchangeable.

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

How dare Davis not start ahead of 300 - 400 thousand dollar man Willy and how dare he doesn't leap ahead of a vet like Nichols who led us to a big winning streak.     

Cutting Davis because he isn't the starter is ridiculous... if anything I hope he comes back because I would much rather have a guy who has trained and practiced with our club and is familiar with our players and system then throwing a nobody out with zero experience.  

Why is it ridiculous? He's played in the league since 2014, started 1 game & is now negotiating his second contract which will mean more money. The team will have to first sign Nichols & then see if they bring back Glenn which I think is a high probability so why give Davis more money for holding a clipboard when they can bring in a cheaper option for the #3 qb position? If there's a salary move at the qb position it'll either be Glenn or Davis.

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why is it ridiculous? He's played in the league since 2014, started 1 game & is now negotiating his second contract which will mean more money. The team will have to first sign Nichols & then see if they bring back Glenn which I think is a high probability so why give Davis more money for holding a clipboard when they can bring in a cheaper option for the #3 qb position? If there's a salary move at the qb position it'll either be Glenn or Davis.

I don't think Glenn is a foregone conclusion. When asked about that Walters basically gave the "he wants more money than we have budgeted for the position" Honestly I think Davis is likely to be the backup going into the season. 

It's just silly to me to think that just because a 3rd stringer hasn't been in a position where he's had to start that he is suddenly not worth keeping around. QBs take time to ripen and you seem to want to move on from a guy they have invested time into right when he should potentially be starting to pay off. 

A cursory googling will show that Dominique Davis was bouncing around the NFL in 2014; he joined the CFL in 2015 with Calgary. Not that that's the important part. If he's brought back then that means the coaches think he is doing things right in practice and has the potential to do something good down the road. You don't want your 3rd string QB to be starting often. I remember rushing 3rd stringers Justin Goltz and Robert Marve into action and it didn't go so great.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some here I noticed seem to think that Nichols is a poor qb & state that he's not worth the money he'll probably get from the Bombers. They feel that any other qb is better. I have heard names like Rakeem Cato & Franklin being thrown around for good measure. They are willing to ditch Nichols & hand the team over to an inexperienced qb in Franklin. They seem to think that to overpaying & trading for Franklin with draft picks & starters is a good thing. OTOH, they feel that paying Nichols anywhere close to what he wants is a bad thing.  A CFL qb's salary is not guaranteed so if necessary he can be released if there are no takers in a trade. However, oonce we trade players & draft picks there's no way going back. As far as Davis goes, he's in a bad situation with O'Shea as he'll never play & if he really desires to become a starter he has to leave the Bombers & look for opportunities elsewhere. That'swhy I think arguing about the 3rd string qb position isn't that important. Davis is interchangeable.

You seem to be forgetting that a third string QB is one hit away from being the backup, and then one hit away from starting.  We've seen teams end up with multiple QB injuries in the same season and having to utilize their "interchangeable" guy.  You're being more than a bit myopic.