Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They do have a budget for the qb position under the cap for 2017 so I respectfully disagree. The money they saved on Glenn will go to Nichols. Decisions have to be made with remaining Bomber free agents as in who stays & who doesn't.

Considering they play in a QB driven league, I hope you're wrong. If they cut Glenn it should be because they have confidence in Davis as the #2 guy - if that then gives them more cap room, it's just a bonus. If history hasn't taught them not to roll the dice on their #1 QB started staying healthy, then I don't know what will. Again, I hope you're wrong. 

They've got less SMS room this year than they've had for a while. In 2016 they used the entire 2016 SMS + Whatever they spent on extensions at the end of 2015 + Whatever they had to move the 2017 SMS in Medlock and Bryant's renegotiated contracts. This year, they have the 2017 SMS - the money moved into the 2017 budget for Medlock and Bryant.

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Considering they play in a QB driven league, I hope you're wrong. If they cut Glenn it should be because they have confidence in Davis as the #2 guy - if that then gives them more cap room, it's just a bonus. If history hasn't taught them not to roll the dice on their #1 QB started staying healthy, then I don't know what will. Again, I hope you're wrong. 

Glenn will be signed by another team so I think it's to clear move to create cap space for Nichols. I'm watching the Raiders play the Texans this afternoon with rookie qb Connor Cook starting for an injured David Carr against the Oilers. With Carr, the Raiders would probably beat the Texans, without him all bets are off & the Raiders season may go down the drain. Teams that don't have proven veteran qbs are rolling the dice.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They do have a budget for the qb position under the cap for 2017 so I respectfully disagree. The money they saved on Glenn will go to Nichols. Decisions have to be made with remaining Bomber free agents as in who stays & who doesn't.

They don't owe Glenn anything against the cap.  They don't save anything.  He's a free agent in a month regardless so how does that affect their 2017 QB budget?

Glenn's release is more an indication that the role he wants isn't likely to materialize for him here and a goodwill gesture.  

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They don't owe Glenn anything against the cap.  They don't save anything.  He's a free agent in a month regardless so how does that affect their 2017 QB budget?

Glenn's release is more an indication that the role he wants isn't likely to materialize for him here and a goodwill gesture.  

Kevin Glenn is a FA but if they had signed him to a new contract then that would have been expensive or at least more expensive than re-signing Davis so his release does play into making room to sign Nichols under the cap for 2017. They wouldn't have been able to give all 3 qbs raises with new contract so I think it's a move to create space for the 2017 season in order to sign Matt Nichols.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Glenn will be signed by another team so I think it's to clear move to create cap space for Nichols. I'm watching the Raiders play the Texans this afternoon with rookie qb Connor Cook starting for an injured David Carr against the Oilers. With Carr, the Raiders would probably beat the Texans, without him all bets are off & the Raiders season may go down the drain. Teams that don't have proven veteran qbs are rolling the dice.

Why reference that?   The time Glenn went down and we only had Dinwiddie was a perfect example of what happens when you have zero reps behind the starter.   Had we any qb with experience we would of won that game. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Why reference that?   The time Glenn went down and we only had Dinwiddie was a perfect example of what happens when you have zero reps behind the starter.   Had we any qb with experience we would of won that game. 

I referenced it because I was watching that game when I posted that message. The Raiders entire season was flushed down the toilet because the backup qb Connor Cook didn't have the experience. Don't want to see the potential for that to happen here.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Kevin Glenn is a FA but if they had signed him to a new contract then that would have been expensive or at least more expensive than re-signing Davis so his release does play into making room to sign Nichols under the cap for 2017. They wouldn't have been able to give all 3 qbs raises with new contract so I think it's a move to create space for the 2017 season in order to sign Matt Nichols.

If it truly was to make room for Nichols under the cap, they would have made sure to sign Nichols first with that extra room in mind. so that they knew what space would be available for Glenn.  I agree with other posters that it was basically a good will gesture towards Glenn.  Once Nichols is signed, they will know how much room they have left for Glenn or any other QB that they may have in mind to bring in.

9 hours ago, Sard said:

If it truly was to make room for Nichols under the cap, they would have made sure to sign Nichols first with that extra room in mind. so that they knew what space would be available for Glenn.  I agree with other posters that it was basically a good will gesture towards Glenn.  Once Nichols is signed, they will know how much room they have left for Glenn or any other QB that they may have in mind to bring in.

They're probably getting close with Matt Nichols. That's my feeling. Kyle Walters admitted they don't have the same cap space they had going into this off season compared to last. That not all players on the 2016 roster would be back. I think this is one of those moves. To create cap space they have to release or not sign veterans in order to sign the players they want already on the roster as well as free agents in a bit over a month's time.

2 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Securing QB depth is paramount. This league has proven that year in and out. Other players can be sacrificed and scouting needs to fill those slots. QB isn't one of those spots.

I agree. Leaving the #2 position to an inexperienced qb is rolling the dice for the season. I think it's a mistake. If Davis was getting increased playing time & showing signs on the field of improving with his decision making & play on the field then I'd be okay with it but he hasn't. As to anyone who says the coaches see Davis everyday, I only need to remind you that until Davis plays meaningful snaps we have no idea if he can handle the pressure if Matt Nichols or another starter goes down for any length of time. This coaching staff also watched Drew Willy play badly for 6 games & did nothing until he was finally pulled & replaced permanently by Nichols.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 1/7/2017 at 3:37 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

You've actually disproved your point within your own post... You're right, Kyle Walters does have a specific QB budget: $X for starter, $Y for the back up and $Z for the third stringer (obviously there's some fluidity to these numbers)... they couldn't get Glenn signed for $Y so they will try to use that money on a different back-up (or split it between Davis and a new 3rd or something, I'm not a GM)... but either way it has no affect on $X budgeted for the starter...

Also, this release doesn't necessarily close the door on Kevin coming back... he may test the market and if there isn't anything else better out there he gives Kyle a call to renegotiate....  

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, TBURGESS said:

They've got less SMS room this year than they've had for a while. In 2016 they used the entire 2016 SMS + Whatever they spent on extensions at the end of 2015 + Whatever they had to move the 2017 SMS in Medlock and Bryant's renegotiated contracts. This year, they have the 2017 SMS - the money moved into the 2017 budget for Medlock and Bryant.

Just for the record, they didn't spend anything extra on Medlock + Bryant.

What they did was ask for a pay cut in 2016 in return for the same dollars in 2017, restructured in a way that gave each player more take home income. Zero increase to 2017 money.