CFL Draft

Floyd

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Disagree about last training camp.  He eats space, but doesn't get off the line.  He's got a long way to go to be a reasonable option.

his strength is his explosion  off the line... He needs technical refinement. 

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Good luck to him.  They don't have a lot of currency to get into the top 5, which is probably where they need to get to ensure getting Bladek.

I want Laing  for #6. Plus additional , of course. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

26 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I want Laing  for #6. Plus additional , of course. 

i would do a bundle pack. (dont think TO would but who knows LOL)

10th this year, 19th this year, and their first round pick next year for the first over all and our 50th (6th round). 

Laing coombs their 4th rounder for our 6th over all maybe? This is the year to trade down for quantity imop. 

46 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

his strength is his explosion  off the line... He needs technical refinement. 

He absolutely needs refinement.  He didn't really show any moves that could get past CFLers.  I really didn't like his pad level last year.  He was nearly completely upright after his first step.  That's not explosion.  He almost never gained ground.  Butcher looked like a guy who is way stronger and more athletic than anyone he plays against in college.  Not so easy against pros.  Based on his strengths in terms of athleticism for his size and strength he might be a better fit in the CFL on offense.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He absolutely needs refinement.  He didn't really show any moves that could get past CFLers.  I really didn't like his pad level last year.  He was nearly completely upright after his first step.  That's not explosion.  He almost never gained ground.  Butcher looked like a guy who is way stronger and more athletic than anyone he plays against in college.  Not so easy against pros.  Based on his strengths in terms of athleticism for his size and strength he might be a better fit in the CFL on offense.

Last year he didnt really have any moves. His leverage however is and was very strong. He wasnt consistent getting out of his stance cleanly. The thing is we have great big guards (bond lol) If any thing a guy with limited mechanics and great athletic ability is better off on the DL. The type of polish he needs is exactly what you coach up. We also have intzandt on the OL side who is converted from OL, super raw and athletic. Plus couture grooming behind the starters. Moving a very good prospect/project from being the back up to like 4th back isnt a great idea. 

As is butcher as a lower use rotational guy  probably doesnt create much pressure, though he has the potential to. But he could be used to run stop, negate passing lanes, and on both goal line/short yardage packages. 

12 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He's a 330 pound nose tackle...a position that doesn't exist in the CFL, he's a priority UDFA and he apparently doesn't have much interest in the CFL.

Fine let him get a job like everyone else once his NFL football dreams are over.

Let's face it - this draft is not a monumentally strong one. #1 and #6 are great, but it's not a huge coup in a draft class like this. We're not going to get a #1 ranked player. Not even a #5 ranked player, in my mind. Ekakitie has potential, but I'm not expecting an impact guy. I'd like to trade the pick, but at the same time ... I don't necessarily think there's a huge market to trade up to #1 unless someone suddenly falls in love with a guy they know they can't get.

I feel like IF we traded the first overall pick, Vandervoort probably goes #1 because someone is trying to get ahead of either BC or Hamilton at 3/4.

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

Let's face it - this draft is not a monumentally strong one. #1 and #6 are great, but it's not a huge coup in a draft class like this. We're not going to get a #1 ranked player. Not even a #5 ranked player, in my mind. Ekakitie has potential, but I'm not expecting an impact guy. I'd like to trade the pick, but at the same time ... I don't necessarily think there's a huge market to trade up to #1 unless someone suddenly falls in love with a guy they know they can't get.

I feel like IF we traded the first overall pick, Vandervoort probably goes #1 because someone is trying to get ahead of either BC or Hamilton at 3/4.

I think that would be a strong possibility. 

It might be a trade with Edm - they definitely need a NAT receiver because of Coehoorn's retirement. 

Cue.. the Franklin trade. :D

Maybe Edm & Ssk will finally swing a trade that involves QB Franklin and #2 overall

Edited by M.O.A.B.

Just now, Noeller said:

Nope.... Its just not how things are done anymore. Read Walters interview from frim other day. The days of an elite 1k NI Rec are long gone... 

Agreed.  We use 1 and he's our 5th option. It amazes me when I read things ppl say about JFG for example.  Awesome at times invisible at other times... the life of the 5th option maybe 6th if you include the Running Back 

who is the best player in the draft?

That's who they will pick, if they keep the first pick.

the increased awareness of the dangers of playing football probably contributes to some of these players being less than one hundred percent interested in playing at pro level.

Top guys are quitting after a few years of playing. Both leagues.

Edited by Mark F

35 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We desperately need a Canadian receiver. I would like us to draft Vandevoort first. Looks like it's not happening though. I think Gray will still be available at #6.

Why? When you can play Canadians elsewhere now. They aren't just OL and receivers anymore