CFL Draft

Floyd

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Walters is speaking at 11 am this morning.

Now what for does he want to do that???  He should be extra busy going over his draft picks and running scenarios endlessly through his head such that he hasn't a spare second to invest in a blab-fest were he inadvertently announces that he has traded Wpg's first draft pick for the rights to Henry Burris should he un-retire.  Needless to say the timing makes me EXTREMELY NERVOUS.

R. Pederson website. http://www.rodpedersen.com/

It's a well put together site.

Walters said he's very content to select players at No. 1 and No. 6 but is willing to listen to trade offers.

"You never say never,'' he said. "It would have to be a real good offer.

"We like where we're at, we know we're going to get two real good football players in the first round. As of now I haven't heard anything but those trades generally don't happen until the day of the draft.''

Walter said the '17 draft class will offer teams with some intriguing choices.

"I have a feeling this year when a team calls a name, certain clubs will look at their board and go, 'Wow, I didn't see that coming,''' he said. "Not that it's right or wrong . . . they (prospects) are so even and there's no real separation.

"You're going to be able to poll all nine teams and their top-20 is going to look vastly different this year, I predict.''

Walters, entering his fourth season as Winnipeg's GM, heads into the draft in an enviable position. The Bombers (11-7) finished third in the West Division last season to snap a four-year playoff drought.

And following an off-season that included the re-signing of quarterback Matt Nichols, restructuring the deals of kicker Justin Medlock and tackle Stanley Bryant while adding defensive end Tristan Okpalaugo, Walters doesn't have any glaring holes to fill Sunday. Rather, he has the luxury of being able to use an early pick on the likes of Senior, Auclair, Grey or Ankou.

"Every team has needs,'' Walters said. 'We're certainly in a stronger position now in terms of filling holes on our roster but you're always looking for competition, you're always looking to upgrade.

"This year it's, 'Let's go find a good football player because we need to start pushing some of these guys who are around here and keep improving our overall talent.'''

If the Bombers are already in contract talks with 'their' guy, it would have to take a hell of an offer to change that, or contract talks break down, or a combination of both.

Bomber fans, and everybody else, is itching to see who that guy is...I know I am.

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think I'd like the pick to be Dariusz Bladek... he's not the biggest position of need... but when you eliminate the NFL bound players he looks like the top player on the board to me... 

I think the Bombers can still get a good D-lineman at 6 or 15...

With corney and butcher i dont think we need to target DL at all. We can easily go BPA. Like walters said tho there isnt a big gap between most of the top 1-2 rounds. 

....So Walters has talked to Danny Vandervoort and the kid is all excited to put on the bluengold.........I think he made the best decision for the club and expect this kid to be a star here for a long time (of course I dreamt that all up but it is a distinct possibility lol)  Anyone talking with Danny can see this guy has it all going on ...so I won't be surprised.

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Arash Madani is now reporting that Walters is in talks with Faith Ekaktite's agent... as per the twitter feed on this site...

The release on DL Tennant a few days ago made this quite obvious that they were taking a DL first 

8 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Arash Madani is now reporting that Walters is in talks with Faith Ekaktite's agent... as per the twitter feed on this site...

Talking to his agent about reporting here when we take him at 6....lol....You really believe Madani who has his wires crossed most of the time.

Edited by Stickem

Just now, Stickem said:

Talking to his agent about reporting here when we take at 6....lol....You really believe Madani who has his wires crossed most of the time.

DL is first. 6th could be a flyer on a NFL guy. Don't see them going receiver as they start just 1. 

Basically, he's supposed to be one of the only guys in the draft who is "pro ready" and can contribute on day 1. Having said that, there's questions about his desire and love of the game... 

Edited by Noeller

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Basically, he's supposed to be one of the only guys in the draft who is "pro ready" and can contribute on day 1. Having said that, there's questions about his desire and love of the game... 

Interesting. That is contrary to one of attributes that Walters and O'Shea are looking from a player - bleed and breath football. 

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm not sure if anyone posted Marshall Furguson's last mock:

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/05/05/mock-3-0-bombers-got-faith/

I found it interesting that he has Randy Colling falling all the way to the eighth round...

Ankou at 2nd overall seems like an insane pick for a team that needs Cdns now.. especially OL

Why does Buono want Woods with Foucault, Steward, Fabien, Vaillancourt...?

Gray at #6 is not a great pick - don't want a futures until 15 or 23

Can't see Montreal wasting their only pick on Auclair...

Going to be an interesting draft.

14 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Interesting. That is contrary to one of attributes that Walters and O'Shea are looking from a player - bleed and breath football. 

Problem is, there are issues similar to this with most of these players. Ankou is the same way, it's been hinted at that he has very little interest in the CFL.