CFL Draft

Floyd

honest to God, knowing what we know now about Gray being a Riders guy, I'll be legit mad if we waste one of our first 2 picks on him. Even the 15 is debatable to me.....the whole "he's the next Walby" thing was very misplaced, unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ratiobreaker and Bomber Buzz not liking Ekakitie at #1...

Stayed up late watching Iowa game footage of NT Faith Ekakitie. I simply do not see the traits of a top-5 player. Round two grade. #CFLDraft

Keep in mind this is the same guy who had mulumba picked no3 over all, herdman in the first round, also had herdman as the 2nd best player available in the draft on his big board, auclair 3rd, etc.  :wacko:

Edited by wbbfan

http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/05/ed-taits-handy-dandy-guide-cfl-draft/

Some good quotes in here, including one from Walters on Ekakite:

“(Ekakitie) is a good prospect,” said Walters when asked about the Hawkeyes lineman. “He’s played very good competition… he’s been in the trenches in the Big 10 playing against Michigan, playing against Wisconsin, playing against some big, powerful teams. He’s a mature kid, he’s married, he’s played in the Midwest… he’s a very good prospect.”

“Assuming status quo moving into this year, depth on both sides of the line is always important,” said Walters. “Interior defensive lineman, a defensive end that can add some depth, offensive line is, every single year, about adding and developing, adding and developing.

“Receiver is an interesting one. We only started one (Canadian) receiver last year… that will be an ongoing question, I’m guessing. Generally, the Canadian receiver plays the wide-field receiver and there’s just not enough footballs to go out there. The days of the Canadian slotbacks having impacts on the game are minimal and I think teams will always be looking for that Canadian slotback that can be a 1,000-yard receiver, but it’s been a few years since you had an impact Canadian slotback come into this game but you’re always looking for one of those, as well.”

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

honest to God, knowing what we know now about Gray being a Riders guy, I'll be legit mad if we waste one of our first 2 picks on him. Even the 15 is debatable to me.....the whole "he's the next Walby" thing was very misplaced, unfortunately.

Meh, that's an old story and I don't give too much credence to it. Geoff and his sister may have been little kids at the time they were Rider fans. Yesterday Gray's Dad had this to say:

There’s a perception out there that Manitoba offensive lineman Geoff Gray might not want to play in the CFL if things don’t work out with the Green Bay Packers.

Not true.

Gray’s father Bob told the Sun this week the entire family would love to see Geoff in Blue and Gold if his NFL opportunity doesn’t pan out.

Gray has been focused on playing in the CFL for years and only switched his focus to the NFL this year when teams started showing interest in him.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/05/04/breaking-down-the-bombers-draft-options

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

From Jeff Hamilton WFP, here's Ekakitie's agent:

C_GUSaCUQAESwBv.jpg:large

Draft is Sunday so this is a comment one would almost expect cuz right now he's not a bomber and perhaps never will be.. think he's still our first pick but whether that's 1st 2nd 3rd 4th overall remains to be seen and I'd imagine, could be wrong but perhaps there's a difference in cash If he's drafted 1st 4th or 6th. 

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If Ekakitie is our best option I'd trade the pick.  We need someone who can play DL this year, but I just don't like the value.  I think there are better options later on who are similar value and ultimately will be cheaper too.

i like the better options later especially with some one like butcher in the wings. 

32 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

i like the better options later especially with some one like butcher in the wings. 

Butcher doesn't factor into it for me.  With him I'm more interested to see which side of the line they have him working on once camp opens.  If he even gets on a game roster this season (barring absurd rash of injuries) I would be shocked.

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Butcher doesn't factor into it for me.  With him I'm more interested to see which side of the line they have him working on once camp opens.  If he even gets on a game roster this season (barring absurd rash of injuries) I would be shocked.

Did you see him play this year?  It sounds like he had a good year in CIS.  I'm interested to see what kind of shape he's in when he comes to camp.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

first team oau Dline, dominated 1v1 at the combine, looked very good last year in camp, if you did a depth chart today hed be our back up to jake and rotating DT....

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

first team oau Dline, dominated 1v1 at the combine, looked very good last year in camp, if you did a depth chart today hed be our back up to jake and rotating DT....

Disagree about last training camp.  He eats space, but doesn't get off the line.  He's got a long way to go to be a reasonable option.

49 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Did you see him play this year?  It sounds like he had a good year in CIS.  I'm interested to see what kind of shape he's in when he comes to camp.

I didn't see him play this year (2016).  I bet he had a good year.  He's a pretty good athlete at his size, certainly better than most in the OUA, but out of the guys he's competing against there he may have faced a half-dozen CFL calibre guys.  It's a big jump and he certainly wasn't close to ready last time we saw him.

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Madani reporting that the Argos are trying to work a deal to get back into the first round because Trestman is a big fan of Bladek... 

Good luck to him.  They don't have a lot of currency to get into the top 5, which is probably where they need to get to ensure getting Bladek.