CFL Draft

Floyd

The "I'm out of stuff to do at work today so I figured why not" 2017 CFL Mock Draft - first and only version

Round One

1. Winnipeg - DL Faith Ekakitie (I'm going with the consensus on this one and while I wasn't a big fan going into the draft, watching the tape gives me some hope. He's definitely suited to a CFL field and his tape against Michigan wowed me enough to think he's a worthy first rounder. I don't LOVE him at number one and if we don't pick him here, it wouldn't shock me to see him available at 6 as well)

2. Saskatchewan - DB Dondre Wright (I'm a big fan of this kid and Jones is typically more unconventional than a lot of other GMs out there who wouldn't even dare going DB at 2 but I feel like Wright has the skills to be at least a 6th DB in a weak positional group for Jones)

3. BC - REC Danny Vandervoort (With Shawn Gore retiring, there's a need here. They've switched their ratio on D which means they need to stay consistent in their efforts to put a productive CDN WR on the field. Vandervoort can fill that need and then you go OL in the second pick you have)

4. Hamilton - OL Dariusz Bladek (the best OL available for mini-camp, this is late for the first OL to go off the board but it's not an exceptionally strong grouping this year. Hamilton has a definitive need for depth in the trenches)

5. Edmonton - REC Nate Behar (Brock Sunderland no doubt has seen a ton of Behar having been just down the road in his previous job. Nate Coehoorn retiring presents an obvious void on a roster that needs guys to take reps in groupings other than special teams right from day one. Personally, watching Behar reminds me of Coehoorn and it seems like an obvious transition)

6. Winnipeg - LB Cameron Judge (obviously we're avoiding an immediate need at receiver here but it doesn't seem like the right spot to take one and Cameron Judge is a stand out first round talent. At this point, I feel like we're going BPA. People will immediately say picking Judge is giving up on Waggoner as we don't even have a clear opening in the starting lineup for ONE of them, but I think he's a player you can fit all over the field and his work on McCaffrey tells me he's going to be able to get out there and make open-field tackles on any offensive weapon this league has)

7. BC - DL Junior Luke (I'm a big fan of Luke and I think he's going to fit in well with what BC is trying to do. He can get in there and grind lineman and contribute as a run stopper immediately. People are going to give me a hard time because there is still only one OL off the board, but again - teams in this first round need talent immediately and the OL group just doesn't have it this year.)

8. Calgary - OL Qadr Spooner (Some people will say Woods should go here, but Spooner seems like more of a Delmonaco guy. Delmonaco seems to have more success with the grizzly bear, nasty kind of guys than he does with the athletic freaks who need to learn the position almost from square one. Calgary always stocks up on the OL and with no real need anywhere, this is a pick where they can take the #1 guy on THEIR board and not even think twice.)

9. Ottawa - OL Mason Woods (Championship teams always have this luxury and Ottawa is a good landing spot for a guy that they don't need to rush through development. Woods will have the opportunity to grow and learn at the pace he needs to be successful. Patience could make him the next Matt O'Donnell)

Round Two

10. Toronto - DB Christophe Mulumba (Popp has never been shy about being unconventional in the draft. For a man that once took a running back fourth, taking Mulumba here is hardly abnormal whatsoever. Toronto is a strong team in the trenches and they need a contributor on defense. Mulumba fits well for them here and they get a bit of a stroke of luck, since Judge probably keeps Mulumba from going in round one)

11. Saskatchewan - OL Braden Schram (Schram is a bit of an anomaly and I'm not quite sure where to rank him, but Saskatchewan absolutely needs to add to the cupboard again and Calgary keeps pumping OL out year after year. Fairly straightforward pick here, although Schram is just a name. It will be the BPA on their OL board.)

12. Montreal - RB Johnny Augustine (Kavis Reed's first ever draft pick. I think it's early for a guy like Augustine, but Reed has the depth in the trenches and he's going to be looking to shore up his special teams and add a different look to some offensive packages here.)

13. Hamilton - DL Randy Colling (one of the toughest guys to project in the entire draft, I have no idea where he goes, but he's got potential as a premier run stopper in the CFL if he can shed the weight. If this guy has any success whatsoever, he'll be a fan favorite on whatever team drafts him.)

14. Edmonton - OL Jean-Simon Roy (Edmonton needs to restock the OL cupboards a year after they failed to make anything of their early round draft picks. Roy is a grinder and will have an opportunity to provide a smooth transition as Rottier and Sorenson enter into the twilight of their careers)

15. Winnipeg - OL Geoff Gray (yep, they're going to do it. Winnipeg and Green Bay seem to have a front office relationship that is among the strongest in the CFL and between that and their connections to Gray/Dobie at the U of M, they'll have a better idea than anyone of his chances to make the Packers. It's a risk, but this is one they can afford to take and it's a lot smarter IMO than taking a guy like Jeremy Zver here for what we need)

16. BC - DB Robert Woodson (Wally could go futures here, but it makes a lot of sense to take a body that is going to contribute given the question marks surrounding their bodies in the secondary. Edem could be on the move, Thompson is a 28 year old second year player and Fraser is hardly anything beyond special teams at this point. Wally injects some youth into a spot that needs it.)

17. Calgary - REC Antony Auclair (this was always a pick Calgary was going to make, in my opinion. Dickenson is the perfect OC to work with Auclair and they can afford to wait to get him)

18. Ottawa - LB Jordan Herdman (one of the worst combines ever but this guy is still an incredible football player. Would not surprise me to see Herdman become this year's Taylor Loffler if presented with the opportunity. He is a legitimate baller and the game tape will overcome his testing)

Round Three

19. Toronto - OL Danny Sprukilis (I agree with that other mock ... there's always an OL that goes early that makes people go "huh?" and Popp always factors in geography with his drafting. Could go Zver here but it's very rare to see Popp take a guy he sees as a hometown flight risk.)

20. Saskatchewan - forfeit

21. Montreal - OL Justin Senior

22. Hamilton - REC Mitchell Picton

23. Edmonton - DL/LB Evan Foster

24. Winnipeg - REC Alex Morrison

25. BC - DL Eli Ankou 

26. Calgary - DL Justin Vaughn

27. Ottawa - LB Matt Singleton

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

There's someone better than  Ekakitie ?

Yikes. He, or someone like him is what the team has missed on the D line.

Must stop Messam.

The problem with ekakitie isnt the highlights, its the low lights and the gaps between. First 2 years at iowa, 10 games 15 tackles. 1 sack over 3 years. At points his senior year they struggled with the run as well.  

Regarding Geoff Gray and the Packers' history with UDFAs.  Let's take a look at last year's class of UDFAs with the Packers and where they are now.

Geronimo Allison, WR - Packers
Kentrell Brice, S - Packers
Beniquez Brown, LB - Free Agent
Brandon Burks, RB - Free Agent
Joe Callahan, QB - Packers
Makinton Dorleant, DB - Free Agent
Reggie Gilbert, LB - Packers
David Grinnage, TE - Free Agent
Josh Hawkins, DB - Packers
Don Jackson, RB - Free Agent
Josh James, OT - Chiefs
Randall Jette, DB - Free Agent
Tyler Kuder, DT - Free Agent
Peter Mortell, P - Free Agent
Dennis Parks, WR - Free Agent
Manoa Pikula, LB - Free Agent
Brian Price, DT - Packers
Devonte Robinson, WR - Free Agent
Herb Waters, WR - Packers

19 UDFAs in 2016.  7 are still with the Packers.  1 is with the Chiefs.  11 are now free agents.  Food for thought...

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Serious question... why does everyone hate Ekatitie so much?... I watched the highlight film posted above.... he gets double teamed on a lot of those plays... seems to have a high motor and sniffs out the ball carrier well... looked decent to me... but I don't exactly analyse a lot of tape...

People are always making generalizations. Ekakatie looks like a very viable prospect, though.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Regarding Geoff Gray and the Packers' history with UDFAs.  Let's take a look at last year's class of UDFAs with the Packers and where they are now.

Geronimo Allison, WR - Packers
Kentrell Brice, S - Packers
Beniquez Brown, LB - Free Agent
Brandon Burks, RB - Free Agent
Joe Callahan, QB - Packers
Makinton Dorleant, DB - Free Agent
Reggie Gilbert, LB - Packers
David Grinnage, TE - Free Agent
Josh Hawkins, DB - Packers
Don Jackson, RB - Free Agent
Josh James, OT - Chiefs
Randall Jette, DB - Free Agent
Tyler Kuder, DT - Free Agent
Peter Mortell, P - Free Agent
Dennis Parks, WR - Free Agent
Manoa Pikula, LB - Free Agent
Brian Price, DT - Packers
Devonte Robinson, WR - Free Agent
Herb Waters, WR - Packers

19 UDFAs in 2016.  7 are still with the Packers.  1 is with the Chiefs.  11 are now free agents.  Food for thought...

In an article linked earlier dunk gave stats that NIs that get guaranteed money  tend to stick a good while. 

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

People are always making generalizations. Ekakatie looks like a very viable prospect, though.

The knock is that out side of the highlights there isnt much else to see over 3 years. DL with an inconsistent motor are kind of scary to draft. Especially no1. 

http://3downnation.com/2016/09/15/breaking-2016-cfl-scouting-bureau/

"Canadian defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie performed for scouts at Iowa’s pro day on Monday – three CFL teams attended, Lions, Argos and Alouettes."

Found that kind of interesting. 

@mike mulumba is a lber. 

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nay idea how many of these guys were "priority UDFAs" with significant signing bonuses? 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

In an article linked earlier dunk gave stats that NIs that get guaranteed money  tend to stick a good while. 

The knock is that out side of the highlights there isnt much else to see over 3 years. DL with an inconsistent motor are kind of scary to draft. Especially no1. 

http://3downnation.com/2016/09/15/breaking-2016-cfl-scouting-bureau/

"Canadian defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie performed for scouts at Iowa’s pro day on Monday – three CFL teams attended, Lions, Argos and Alouettes."

Found that kind of interesting. 

@mike mulumba is a lber. 

If someone that big and that quick was consistent, he would be gone in the first round of the NFL draft, so it is a gamble. 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

Nay idea how many of these guys were "priority UDFAs" with significant signing bonuses? 

No that info is hard to find.

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think you're referring to the 3down article by John Hodge.  He says:

Over the past ten years, every CFL draft prospect to sign with an NFL club as a priority undrafted free agent has stuck down south. Austin Pasztor (2012), Moe Petrus (2012), Brett Boyko (2015), Mehdi Abdesmad (2016), and Arjen Colquhoun (2016) all signed NFL deals immediately following their respective drafts and are either still under contract (Boyko, Abdesmad), retired (Petrus) or free agents (Pasztor, Colquhoun).

That's only 5 players and 2 of them are free agents.  Very small sample size and still 2 of them could be in the CFL sooner rather than later.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

The "I'm out of stuff to do at work today so I figured why not" 2017 CFL Mock Draft - first and only version

Such is the life of an air traffic controll.....uh-oh.

I'd be greatly irked if Gray was still available at 23 and we didn't take him.

Taking him at 15?  Yeah, I'd be alright with that.  As a udfa signing the odds of him sticking in the NFL longer than 2 years seem 50-50.  So using a 15th pick to get arguably the top player in the draft but only see him in 2019?  To me that's a cost that's worth the potential reward.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I knew that. :(

Trying to make sense of the cfl draft before it happens can have that effect on you :P 

5 minutes ago, tracker said:

If someone that big and that quick was consistent, he would be gone in the first round of the NFL draft, so it is a gamble. 

He doesnt have the size or raw athletic numbers the nfl looks for at edge. Hes too small for a nose down there and his physicality is what really comes and goes. His consistency isnt just scare the nfl away its really scary. Look at those clips and ask your self how does a guy with that level of talent sit on the bench for the better part of 2 years. Then think how is he going to fit in to the MOS program. Hes supposed to be the SAFE pick too lol. The guy that will be here in camp and around for a contract at least. If we wanted to gamble we could do it on far more talented guys. 

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No that info is hard to find.

I think you're referring to the 3down article by John Hodge.  He says:

That's only 5 players and 2 of them are free agents.  Very small sample size and still 2 of them could be in the CFL sooner rather than later.

that must be the one i was thinking of. It is a small sample size. They could be down here sooner rather then later. So could mulumba. Or they could not be. 1 thing id bet on with a guy who gets bonus money, hes going to spend bare minimum 1 camp down south. But probably 2. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

that must be the one i was thinking of. It is a small sample size. They could be down here sooner rather then later. So could mulumba. Or they could not be. 1 thing id bet on with a guy who gets bonus money, hes going to spend bare minimum 1 camp down south. But probably 2. 

Yes I tend to agree.  I wouldn't spend #1 on Gray.  But #6?  Maybe....

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think gray is a lifer down south sadly for us.  

I feel like most of us are teetering on our feelings... we would love to see a Manitoba kid carve out a successful NFL career and make millions... but at the same time, we selfishly want him to fizzle out and return home in a few years...

Edited by bearpants

7 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I feel like most of us are teetering on our feelings... we would love to see a Manitoba kid carve out a successful NFL career and make millions... but at the same time, we selfishly want him to fizzle out and return home in a few years...

Yeah i think you nailed it. 

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think he's in the CFL by September 2018.

Thats a gutsy prediction. But of course no one will remember by then if you are wrong. :lol:

The time after their 2nd camp down south, is probably the most likely for guys like him to fall between the cracks and come up here though.

6 minutes ago, bearpants said:

While he might be an athletic freak he is now in a league full of athletic freaks and competing to take their jobs.  And those freaks have 50 pounds on him in a league obsessed with size.  It's great that he can long jump like a kangaroo, but he's in tough to stick long term.

He opened a door and got an opportunity, now he has to make the most of it.  But that old saying "the rest is up to him" isn't true at all.  He's going up against guys who will also be willing to train just as hard and work just as hard, and where he goes and what he does isn't just in his hands, it's in the hands of coaches and management who all have their own preferences and biases.  Next year they might draft Oline in the first round and then there's one less chair at the Oline table.  Is the udfa the guy who survives that round of musical chairs?

All feelings aside, him being in the CFL in a couple of seasons is more probable than him having an extended NFL career.

40 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Just hoping if he does come back, he doesn't want to play for the CFL team he grew up rooting for.  Enough Wpgers in SK already...

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Round One

1. Winnipeg - DL Faith Ekakitie (I'm going with the consensus on this one and while I wasn't a big fan going into the draft, watching the tape gives me some hope. He's definitely suited to a CFL field and his tape against Michigan wowed me enough to think he's a worthy first rounder. I don't LOVE him at number one and if we don't pick him here, it wouldn't shock me to see him available at 6 as well)

2. Saskatchewan - DB Dondre Wright (I'm a big fan of this kid and Jones is typically more unconventional than a lot of other GMs out there who wouldn't even dare going DB at 2 but I feel like Wright has the skills to be at least a 6th DB in a weak positional group for Jones)

3. BC - REC Danny Vandervoort (With Shawn Gore retiring, there's a need here. They've switched their ratio on D which means they need to stay consistent in their efforts to put a productive CDN WR on the field. Vandervoort can fill that need and then you go OL in the second pick you have)

4. Hamilton - OL Dariusz Bladek (the best OL available for mini-camp, this is late for the first OL to go off the board but it's not an exceptionally strong grouping this year. Hamilton has a definitive need for depth in the trenches)

5. Edmonton - REC Nate Behar (Brock Sunderland no doubt has seen a ton of Behar having been just down the road in his previous job. Nate Coehoorn retiring presents an obvious void on a roster that needs guys to take reps in groupings other than special teams right from day one. Personally, watching Behar reminds me of Coehoorn and it seems like an obvious transition)

6. Winnipeg - LB Cameron Judge (obviously we're avoiding an immediate need at receiver here but it doesn't seem like the right spot to take one and Cameron Judge is a stand out first round talent. At this point, I feel like we're going BPA. People will immediately say picking Judge is giving up on Waggoner as we don't even have a clear opening in the starting lineup for ONE of them, but I think he's a player you can fit all over the field and his work on McCaffrey tells me he's going to be able to get out there and make open-field tackles on any offensive weapon this league has)

7. BC - DL Junior Luke (I'm a big fan of Luke and I think he's going to fit in well with what BC is trying to do. He can get in there and grind lineman and contribute as a run stopper immediately. People are going to give me a hard time because there is still only one OL off the board, but again - teams in this first round need talent immediately and the OL group just doesn't have it this year.)

8. Calgary - OL Qadr Spooner (Some people will say Woods should go here, but Spooner seems like more of a Delmonaco guy. Delmonaco seems to have more success with the grizzly bear, nasty kind of guys than he does with the athletic freaks who need to learn the position almost from square one. Calgary always stocks up on the OL and with no real need anywhere, this is a pick where they can take the #1 guy on THEIR board and not even think twice.)

9. Ottawa - OL Mason Woods (Championship teams always have this luxury and Ottawa is a good landing spot for a guy that they don't need to rush through development. Woods will have the opportunity to grow and learn at the pace he needs to be successful. Patience could make him the next Matt O'Donnell)

Round Two

10. Toronto - DB Christophe Mulumba (Popp has never been shy about being unconventional in the draft. For a man that once took a running back fourth, taking Mulumba here is hardly abnormal whatsoever. Toronto is a strong team in the trenches and they need a contributor on defense. Mulumba fits well for them here and they get a bit of a stroke of luck, since Judge probably keeps Mulumba from going in round one)

11. Saskatchewan - OL Braden Schram (Schram is a bit of an anomaly and I'm not quite sure where to rank him, but Saskatchewan absolutely needs to add to the cupboard again and Calgary keeps pumping OL out year after year. Fairly straightforward pick here, although Schram is just a name. It will be the BPA on their OL board.)

12. Montreal - RB Johnny Augustine (Kavis Reed's first ever draft pick. I think it's early for a guy like Augustine, but Reed has the depth in the trenches and he's going to be looking to shore up his special teams and add a different look to some offensive packages here.)

13. Hamilton - DL Randy Colling (one of the toughest guys to project in the entire draft, I have no idea where he goes, but he's got potential as a premier run stopper in the CFL if he can shed the weight. If this guy has any success whatsoever, he'll be a fan favorite on whatever team drafts him.)

14. Edmonton - OL Jean-Simon Roy (Edmonton needs to restock the OL cupboards a year after they failed to make anything of their early round draft picks. Roy is a grinder and will have an opportunity to provide a smooth transition as Rottier and Sorenson enter into the twilight of their careers)

15. Winnipeg - OL Geoff Gray (yep, they're going to do it. Winnipeg and Green Bay seem to have a front office relationship that is among the strongest in the CFL and between that and their connections to Gray/Dobie at the U of M, they'll have a better idea than anyone of his chances to make the Packers. It's a risk, but this is one they can afford to take and it's a lot smarter IMO than taking a guy like Jeremy Zver here for what we need)

16. BC - DB Robert Woodson (Wally could go futures here, but it makes a lot of sense to take a body that is going to contribute given the question marks surrounding their bodies in the secondary. Edem could be on the move, Thompson is a 28 year old second year player and Fraser is hardly anything beyond special teams at this point. Wally injects some youth into a spot that needs it.)

17. Calgary - REC Antony Auclair (this was always a pick Calgary was going to make, in my opinion. Dickenson is the perfect OC to work with Auclair and they can afford to wait to get him)

18. Ottawa - LB Jordan Herdman (one of the worst combines ever but this guy is still an incredible football player. Would not surprise me to see Herdman become this year's Taylor Loffler if presented with the opportunity. He is a legitimate baller and the game tape will overcome his testing)

Round Three

19. Toronto - OL Danny Sprukilis (I agree with that other mock ... there's always an OL that goes early that makes people go "huh?" and Popp always factors in geography with his drafting. Could go Zver here but it's very rare to see Popp take a guy he sees as a hometown flight risk.)

20. Saskatchewan - forfeit

21. Montreal - OL Justin Senior

22. Hamilton - REC Mitchell Picton

23. Edmonton - DL/LB Evan Foster

24. Winnipeg - REC Alex Morrison

25. BC - DL Eli Ankou 

26. Calgary - DL Justin Vaughn

27. Ottawa - LB Matt Singleton

I'm only nitpicking because it's you.  Pick #23 not #24.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

While he might be an athletic freak he is now in a league full of athletic freaks and competing to take their jobs.  And those freaks have 50 pounds on him in a league obsessed with size.  It's great that he can long jump like a kangaroo, but he's in tough to stick long term.

He opened a door and got an opportunity, now he has to make the most of it.  But that old saying "the rest is up to him" isn't true at all.  He's going up against guys who will also be willing to train just as hard and work just as hard, and where he goes and what he does isn't just in his hands, it's in the hands of coaches and management who all have their own preferences and biases.  Next year they might draft Oline in the first round and then there's one less chair at the Oline table.  Is the udfa the guy who survives that round of musical chairs?

All feelings aside, him being in the CFL in a couple of seasons is more probable than him having an extended NFL career.

And with all due respect to Brian Dobie, the coaching at the college level in the Excited States is waay better, so the grads are much better prepared to make the transition to the NFL.

5 minutes ago, tracker said:

And with all due respect to Brian Dobie, the coaching at the college level in the Excited States is waay better, so the grads are much better prepared to make the transition to the NFL.

Kudos to Dobie and the Bisons for improving their football program immeasurably.  Gray, Onyemata, Demski, Gill, Coombs, LeFrance, Oramasionwu and hopefully (soon to be Bomber) Evan Foster are demonstrating their football program is producing solid pro prospects.  Before Dobie there was very little football talent coming out of the U of M program.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Kudos to Dobie and the Bisons for improving their football program immeasurably.  Gray, Onyemata, Demski, Gill, Coombs, LeFrance, Oramasionwu and hopefully (soon to be Bomber) Evan Foster are demonstrating their football program is producing solid pro prospects.  Before Dobie there was very little football talent coming out of the U of M program.

Also Thomas Miles, Louie Richardson, Teague Sherman, Andrew Smith, Eddie Steele, Landon Rice....

3 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

when did dobie take over the bisons? was it AD or BC? I dont remember a previous coach.

Certainly in the last few years the talent level has spiked for the bisons, and cis in general.