Canadian Politics

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If trimming the fat was easy it would have been done before. You want balanced budgets then someone will have to pay more taxes.

Cons love to scream about running government like a business but when faced with budget shortfalls never actually raise revenue. 

While complaining we're not spending enough on Defense.

Edited by Wideleft

57 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Did a little digging (always seem to need to for some claims).  The Fed public service is now 50,000 spots larger than in 2010.  Our population has grown by 5 million over that same time.  Seems sensible to me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/innovation/human-resources-statistics/population-federal-public-service.html

Further breaking that down, in 2010, 0.835% of the population worked in public service vs. 0.869% in 2022.  I don't know what staffing levels should be, but this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

34 minutes ago, Sard said:

Further breaking that down, in 2010, 0.835% of the population worked in public service vs. 0.869% in 2022.  I don't know what staffing levels should be, but this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Facts versus a link to an editorial opinion piece entitled Bloated Governments - Its time to trim the fat.

42 minutes ago, Sard said:

There is always opportunity for greater improvement in how all levels of Governments can operate efficiently and effectively. No argument there. That's a fact.

However one needs to know the complexities in how bureaucracies operate and how the government administration side integrates with the political end of things before blurting out slogans like trim the fat! Government Overreach! I only do things if I choose to do them (except of course if it has to do with my pro-forced birth stance then all bets are off we need to control what people can and can do with their bodies in that instance), Dictatorship! Thought Police etc etc etc.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Did a little digging (always seem to need to for some claims).  The Fed public service is now 50,000 spots larger than in 2010.  Our population has grown by 5 million over that same time.  Seems sensible to me.

https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/innovation/human-resources-statistics/population-federal-public-service.html

Nicely done. 

The "gov't is too big and fat" narrative is just another dogwhistle.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

If trimming the fat was easy it would have been done before. You want balanced budgets then someone will have to pay more taxes.

Cons love to scream about running government like a business but when faced with budget shortfalls never actually raise revenue. 

They did that in 2012 with the Debt Reduction Action Plan. But it was duplicitous nonsense and the effects are still being felt today.

http://ifsd.ca/web/default/files/360/DRAP Case.pdf

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

While complaining we're not spending enough on Defense.

....or subsidising arenas for rich owners.

Sweep To The Cup

We did it Calgary! We subsidized a billionaire with YOUR tax dollars in an investment that has shown time and time again, all over North America, to benefit only the rich owners and use fans’ love of their teams against them. All to win an election by meddling in municipal politics!

Yeah the rich assholes pay the smallest share and me a tax payer in calgary and alberta gets to foot the bill. Not sure this is the surefire vote buying scheme in calgary she thinks it is. There's a reason the last deal fell through and it's because calgary conservatism doesn't really like spending money on these kinds of things. One of the few areas it plays out smart.

I am not opposed to some government funding for arenas or stadiums.... but this deal doesn't seem good. Should have just built the already planned one. Now we get to pay for canceling that AND this more expensive new deal too. 

Fiscal responsibility! 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Exhibit A:

In early 90's the 7% GST replaced the 13.5% Manufacturers Tax - generating more $$ for government coffers

But even with the increased revenue, the Chretien Liberals still needed to slash transfer payments, in order to be in the black

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

....or subsidising arenas for rich owners.

Sweep To The Cup

We did it Calgary! We subsidized a billionaire with YOUR tax dollars in an investment that has shown time and time again, all over North America, to benefit only the rich owners and use fans’ love of their teams against them. All to win an election by meddling in municipal politics!

The Economics of Sports Stadiums: Does public financing of sports stadiums create local economic growth, or just help billionaires improve their profit margin? – Berkeley Economic Review

Over the last thirty years, building sports stadiums has served as a profitable undertaking for large sports teams, at the expense of the general public. While there are some short-term benefits, the inescapable truth is that the economic impact of these projects on their communities is minimal, while they can be an obstacle to real development in local neighborhoods.

I've read this even more conclusively and at greater depth from another source, but I cannot seem to remember where.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the rich assholes pay the smallest share and me a tax payer in calgary and alberta gets to foot the bill. Not sure this is the surefire vote buying scheme in calgary she thinks it is. There's a reason the last deal fell through and it's because calgary conservatism doesn't really like spending money on these kinds of things. One of the few areas it plays out smart.

I am not opposed to some government funding for arenas or stadiums.... but this deal doesn't seem good. Should have just built the already planned one. Now we get to pay for canceling that AND this more expensive new deal too. 

Fiscal responsibility! 

Surplus for oil companies to clean up the messes they are legally obligated to clean. $ for billionaire hockey owners to build an area. Why use public money to help people by spending on healthcare, affordable housing or education? Conservatism ladies and gentlemen.

On 2023-04-14 at 10:08 AM, bigg jay said:

If this happened at an event full of people, you would think it would be fairly easy to confirm if there was a physical incident or not.

Video has surfaced. Wab definitely holds on to the handshake but there is zero shove.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/obby-khan-wab-kinew-shove-1.6823953

11 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Video has surfaced. Wab definitely holds on to the handshake but there is zero shove.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/obby-khan-wab-kinew-shove-1.6823953

The video clip supports Wab's version of events moreso than Khan's. On a related note, Khan deserves to be challenged about why he would join a party that has a long and sad history of racial and other intolerance.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Lots of dinks in power do that alpha "hold onto the handshake" nonsense. I am whelmed by this video.

Honestly i am beyond the point of caring if we get a good person in charge as long as we get good policy. Good people don't go into politics.

To paraphrase Adam Grant, if you think you need to do dink time moves like this to appear strong and get ahead, you might just be a dink.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

attempt to privatise health care, B.C. thwarted. NDP Provincial government. not great, but better than alternative.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/medical-services-commission-telus-health-lifeplus-settlement-1.6823055

Oh great, Telus doesn't make nearly enough profit from overcharging for phone services in BC with the assets they "stole" from BC Tel, now they're getting into health care. 

Oh look, they're in the pharmacy business now too!

www.teluspharmacy.com

These huge corporations are like vampires, their life blood is money and they can never get enough.  

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

All our political parties have those things in their history.  And not all PCs are bad people.

I would bet the farm that if you spent the time to do the research, you would find the Cons have committed more such gaffes than the rest of the political parties combined. 

Both of these items should probably be in the comedy thread, but don't want to offend anyone that takes them seriously.

Theo Fleury @TheoFleury14
Went to a
@ABDanielleSmith
event tonight in Calgary. If she doesn’t win Alberta is finished and Canada becomes a communist ####hole. Climate lockdowns and 15 minute cities will be the first then
@rachelnotley
will go door to door jabbing you with gain of function bio weapons. Get out and vote like your life depends on it.

https://twitter.com/theofleury14/sta...591679488?s=21

More griftin' griftin' griftin", gotta keep on griftin" griftin" griftin....

Ezra just helpin' a grifter grift, making sure he gets his slice of the pie.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Both of these items should probably be in the comedy thread, but don't want to offend anyone that takes them seriously.

Theo Fleury @TheoFleury14
Went to a
@ABDanielleSmith
event tonight in Calgary. If she doesn’t win Alberta is finished and Canada becomes a communist ####hole. Climate lockdowns and 15 minute cities will be the first then
@rachelnotley
will go door to door jabbing you with gain of function bio weapons. Get out and vote like your life depends on it.

https://twitter.com/theofleury14/sta...591679488?s=21

More griftin' griftin' griftin", gotta keep on griftin" griftin" griftin....

Ezra just helpin' a grifter grift, making sure he gets his slice of the pie.

I say this with as much empathy and care as I can muster up, Theo Fleury has some serious mental health issues that need attention stat.

He's got that Herschel Walker look and feel to him in how he presents 'reality' as he see's it.

In TF's case, this is actually not grifting. This is neurons doing or not doing something.  

Just now, Noeller said:

Yeah, I have a deep understanding of mental health issues, and Theo is unwell. He desperately needs an AB Mental Health counsellor and regular appointments with a shrink. If he actually believes what he's saying, that's a big problem. 

And this isn't a joke nor a slight. It's serious and dangerous for him and for others.