Canadian Politics

Timely, indeed....

Given that I am actually a political prisoner of Xi Jinping, but only allowed to post in certain threads, during my detention.  
It may take some Millions of dollars to ensure my release.  Perhaps even more.
If you send me your donation, before March 30, 2022, you will receive a membership card, and a free sock puppet, along with a tax receipt
So why wait?  Set me free!   Today!

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Timely, indeed....

Given that I am actually a political prisoner of Xi Jinping, but only allowed to post in certain threads, during my detention.  
It may take some Millions of dollars to ensure my release.  Perhaps even more.
If you send me your donation, before March 30, 2022, you will receive a membership card, and a free sock puppet, along with a tax receipt
So why wait?  Set me free!   Today!

Throw in a sour apple sucker...and you've got a deal. 

16 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Ah poilievre shenanigans again:

This is good, but I honestly don't think it is simple enough to convince many people. Even Walby says its time to scrap the carbon tax because of how it is affecting people on limited budgets... There's a profound misunderstanding about carbon taxes that people like Poilievre takes advantage of and encourages.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

This is good, but I honestly don't think it is simple enough to convince many people. Even Walby says its time to scrap the carbon tax because of how it is affecting people on limited budgets... There's a profound misunderstanding about carbon taxes that people like Poilievre takes advantage of and encourages.

Simple minds demand simple explanations, even if those explanations are wrong.

**** gas prices, the cost of power bills in Alberta is skyrocketing.... this is what conservatives do. Corporations get profits and we get stuck with bigger bills. It's not a tax hut higher utilities,  higher insurance... God know what else will be higher. But oh yeah it's the pennies on a tank of gas affecting my bottom line. 

Fuel prices are really important to my monthly budget, no question, but the Enmax bill at the end of the month has definitely gone up a bit. It's all ******, and it's all because of Kenney. Sincerely hope he does make the leadership review a confidence motion and it triggers an election. I'm ready for #BetterOffWithRachel 

Price of gas is one thing, but the carbon tax is such a minor amount in comparison to everything else. It's a good sound bite and morons believe it has a bigger impact than it does. I don't believe they are super effective at actually addressing CO2 pollution,  but it's a pretty negligible amount in comparison to the other rising prices happening out there.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, I'm getting close to $1000 this year in carbon pricing rebates, so I'm more than fine with paying the "tax" in order to do something to help meet climate objectives...

But, has the price of fuel changed your behaviour? Carbon pricing doesn't work if it's not going to change our habits. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

But, has the price of fuel changed your behaviour? Carbon pricing doesn't work if it's not going to change our habits. 

the price of fuel has changed our habits, but I don't know that it's because of carbon pricing. The Con's can blame carbon pricing for the high change of fuel, but I don't. Yes, high gas prices mean that my wife and I won't/can't drive 6 hours (round trip) every weekend to go fishing. It will severely limit how much we use my truck to do anything other than drive to work each day. But I don't blame carbon "taxes" for that...

24 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

it's not really meant to change the average persons habits completely. It's meant to impact big business and make them change.

And do they change or just pay the taxes and pass the cost down to consumers?

Cap and trade and carbon pricing to me are really glorified wealth transfer mechanisms. Now if a government took the revenue from carbon taxes and pumped it into programs and research sure, but call me skeptical that happens as opposed to it just being more tax revenue.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

When I bought a new vehicle last summer definitely went to something more fuel efficient. Went from a V8 5.6 L Dodge Dakota to a Kia Seltos big difference in mileage to the point where I have not felt the rise in fuel as much if I still had my old vehicle. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Cap and trade and carbon pricing to me are really glorified wealth transfer mechanisms. Now if a government took the revenue from carbon taxes and pumped it into programs and research sure, but call me skeptical that happens as opposed to it just being more tax revenue.

Exactly. The money should be used for green initiatives:

1. Plant trees

2. Research and develop biomass/carbon neutral energy sources

Etc. Etc.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Exactly. The money should be used for green initiatives:

1. Plant trees

2. Research and develop biomass/carbon neutral energy sources

Etc. Etc.

Yes!

But, even now, there's a significant political party who's said that they'll scrap the pricing because it hurts their feelings. And, the carbon pricing is cost neutral for most taxpayers! Imagine the convoys if we invested in something that's not O&G!

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes!

But, even now, there's a significant political party who's said that they'll scrap the pricing because it hurts their feelings. And, the carbon pricing is cost neutral for most taxpayers! Imagine the convoys if we invested in something that's not O&G!

If it's just going to continue filling the general revenue coffers, then I would actually agree with scrapping it.  It could be revamped into a positive good that no one could argue against. 

Corus Radio has given Kenney his own radio show for an hour on Saturday mornings in Edmonton & Calgary. I just can't imagine even wanting to listen to that as every UCP staffer calls in with softball questions while other staffers screen who calls him. Just before Kenney's leadership review. It'd pretty obvious Corus wants Kenney to be Premier or they'd have stayed out of it. I'd love it if callers would lie about supporting him & why they're calling in then hit him with tough questions he stumbles to answer. Just make it a complete **** show. 

15 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

People of this ilk are truly anti-good.

Have you read some of Maxime Bernier's tweets? He supports the Freedom group. The man is insane.