Canadian Politics

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Major political parties.... who can and do form governments.

I agree, they are definitely complicit in this garbage. They've given credibility to misinformation-fueled idiots trying to destroy our country. I just don't see how any of "us" can do anything about it. Poilievre, Bergen, prairie Premiers & Co. have all realized that it is much easier to pander to these morons and get easy votes. They are showing they don't respect the intelligence of the general Canadian populace as they think they can win elections while still cheering this sh** on. I just don't see anything "we" can do about this other than making sure we vote and hopefully get them destroyed in elections. Prove a point that you can't cozy up to the loonies and racists and have a chance in elections in Canada.

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

I agree, they are definitely complicit in this garbage. They've given credibility to misinformation-fueled idiots trying to destroy our country. I just don't see how any of "us" can do anything about it. Poilievre, Bergen, prairie Premiers & Co. have all realized that it is much easier to pander to these morons and get easy votes. They are showing they don't respect the intelligence of the general Canadian populace as they think they can win elections while still cheering this sh** on. I just don't see anything "we" can do about this other than making sure we vote and hopefully get them destroyed in elections. Prove a point that you can't cozy up to the loonies and racists and have a chance in elections in Canada.

It's really too bad a Federal election is nowhere in sight as the anger and contempt the majority of Canadians have for this group of yahoos will be diminished by the time the next one rolls around.  The worst outcome is that "they" think they've won, even though they achieved nothing, and will probably cost taxpayers in the range of half a billion dollars once the costs of this protest are tallied. 

They're not going away, just have to wonder what is next?

I can picture a solution that would involve, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump.

Edited by Fatty Liver

honestly if they don't like Trudeau why didn't they vote back in the fall?is it that hard to pick a candidate to vote for...granted even I'm not sure what I want to do for the next one, i really do think Trudeau shouldn't run for another term myself but I would never vote PPC even if they were running unopposed I can't vote conservative (unless MAGAt Murphy Brown burns her hat)

10 hours ago, iHeart said:

honestly if they don't like Trudeau why didn't they vote back in the fall?is it that hard to pick a candidate to vote for...granted even I'm not sure what I want to do for the next one, i really do think Trudeau shouldn't run for another term myself but I would never vote PPC even if they were running unopposed I can't vote conservative (unless MAGAt Murphy Brown burns her hat)

As someone who absolutely dislikes Trudeau and won't vote for him I have to give him credit for his handling of this.  I doubt he runs again , he had such a low % of the popular vote. % 32 , which is lower than the PCs had.  ( that happened in the last election as well mind you ) But if this protest has done anything , it has probably increased his popularity. Many of the  Conservatives are pandering to a segment that will vote for them regardless.  They are pushing away the  more centralist segment of the population.  It's the old  " cutting off your nose dispite your face " bit. It's going to cost them.

29 minutes ago, the watcher said:

As someone who absolutely dislikes Trudeau and won't vote for him I have to give him credit for his handling of this.  I doubt he runs again , he had such a low % of the popular vote. % 32 , which is lower than the PCs had.  ( that happened in the last election as well mind you ) But if this protest has done anything , it has probably increased his popularity. Many of the  Conservatives are pandering to a segment that will vote for them regardless.  They are pushing away the  more centralist segment of the population.  It's the old  " cutting off your nose dispite your face " bit. It's going to cost them.

When gas hits nearly 2 bucks a litre later this week, things are going to get real for the Liberals. The next election won't be fought on the agenda of the left like the past 3 have. A large part of the population are at, or are nearing, their financial breaking point. That's the reality. Hyperinflation, taxation, housing prices, cost of living, these are going to be the platform of interest in the next election imo.  

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

When gas hits nearly 2 bucks a litre later this week, things are going to get real for the Liberals. The next election won't be fought on the agenda of the left like the past 3 have. A large part of the population are at, or are nearing, their financial breaking point. That's the reality. Hyperinflation, taxation, housing prices, cost of living, these are going to be the platform of interest in the next election imo.  

I don't know what the difference here is- please help me understand. Unless I have a very narrow view of what the "agenda of the left" is.

Just now, Sard said:

And don't forget, that was 100% caused by the Liberals.  There wasn't a global pandemic and supply chain issues that no government in the world had any control over......

Oil prices going up, so thank a Conservative for higher tax revenue but also blame the Liberal govt for higher prices at the pump.  

Con logic. 

32 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We've gone over this garbage before.... If people actually care about inflation and it will be a major issue in the next election, the Liberals should make huge gains. Based on real inflation data, Canadian inflation is doing significantly better than inflation in the US. and most of the rest of the developed world. The gap between inflation in Canada and elsewhere is also continuing to grow. Keep regurgitating what they tell you is the death of Canada as we know it though...

It is easy to just repeat Poilievre talking points, but those arguments are laughable when real data is examined. The hope the Conservatives have in the next election is that they can rile up enough people who will vote without taking a critical look at the issues and what politicians are saying and the rest of the informed voting populace is too apathetic to oppose them.

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

Hyperinflation. Be afraid everyone. Be scared. The Boogeyman is coming. 

I lived through %20  interest rates. I saw real good people lose their farms out of nothing other than bad timing.  So  that's their business, their homes , their lifestyles and dreams. It took damn near a lifetime to recover. So ya, it scares the hell out of me. It's not a joking matter. 

1 minute ago, the watcher said:

I lived through %20  interest rates. I saw real good people lose their farms out of nothing other than bad timing.  So  that's their business, their homes , their lifestyles and dreams. It took damn near a lifetime to recover. So ya, it scares the hell out of me. It's not a joking matter. 

I'll just add I don't really care about  " agendas," left or right or the name on the party. Just decent government. I have voted for both  Doer and Harper.

9 minutes ago, WildPath said:

We've gone over this garbage before.... If people actually care about inflation and it will be a major issue in the next election, the Liberals should make huge gains. Based on real inflation data, Canadian inflation is doing significantly better than inflation in the US. and most of the rest of the developed world. The gap between inflation in Canada and elsewhere is also continuing to grow. Keep regurgitating what they tell you is the death of Canada as we know it though...

It is easy to just repeat Poilievre talking points, but those arguments are laughable when real data is examined. The hope the Conservatives have in the next election is that they can rile up enough people who will vote without taking a critical look at the issues and what politicians are saying and the rest of the informed voting populace is too apathetic to oppose them.

You underestimate politician's ability to rile up the public with talking points. Neither the left or the right has won an election on the facts in 50 years. Who controls the election agenda wins. Fact....lmao...it's agendas and promises that win/lose elections. You can say inflation is garbage but tell that to Joe Blow in Sudbury who can't afford gas for his truck. He don't give a rats ass about facts, he's just pissed off and looking to vent his anger. You really think Trudeau can win an election if it is fought on the economy...lol. He can't string two sentences together about the economy without it becoming a meme.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You underestimate politician's ability to rile up the public with talking points. Neither the left or the right has won an election on the facts in 50 years. Who controls the election agenda wins. Fact....lmao...it's agendas and promises that win/lose elections. You can say inflation is garbage but tell that to Joe Blow in Sudbury who can't afford gas for his truck. He don't give a rats ass about facts, he's just pissed off and looking to vent his anger.

Spoken like a true Conservative with thinly-veiled contempt for Canadians - facts don't matter, its all about how angry you sound to make people believe your lies.

I actually agree with you though - that is their hope and it can't be just disregarded in Canada. The next few elections in Canada will be really telling. See what happens in MB and AB with the Conservative governments there and what happens in the next Federal election. While most people I talk with have the critical thinking ability to wade through the noise put out by political parties, I'm concerned that there are a significant amount of people who don't. And we know which party targets them as their base.

35 minutes ago, the watcher said:

I'll just add I don't really care about  " agendas," left or right or the name on the party. Just decent government. I have voted for both  Doer and Harper.

This is not hyperinflation. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is not hyperinflation. 

Yes, but we were subjected to skyrocketing interest rates due to a falling dollar.  The falling dollar had alot to do with poor economic decisions by the government and rampant inflation.  You may not want to call it " hyper inflation " ( as in prewar Germany ) but it was " hyper " enough to be the basis of a near collapse. My point was rampant inflation is no joking matter. To belittle it , and mock the fear of it is ridiculous. I

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Yes, but we were subjected to skyrocketing interest rates due to a falling dollar.  The falling dollar had alot to do with poor economic decisions by the government and rampant inflation.  You may not want to call it " hyper inflation " ( as in prewar Germany ) but it was " hyper " enough to be the basis of a near collapse. My point was rampant inflation is no joking matter. To belittle it , and mock the fear of it is ridiculous. I

There is no "rampant" inflation. You can be afraid of whatever you want but there is no hyperinflation. Interest rates remain historically low and the supply chain issues, which drove inflation, are being resolved. 

31 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Spoken like a true Conservative with thinly-veiled contempt for Canadians - facts don't matter, its all about how angry you sound to make people believe your lies.

I actually agree with you though - that is their hope and it can't be just disregarded in Canada. The next few elections in Canada will be really telling. See what happens in MB and AB with the Conservative governments there and what happens in the next Federal election. While most people I talk with have the critical thinking ability to wade through the noise put out by political parties, I'm concerned that there are a significant amount of people who don't. And we know which party targets them as their base.

Someone will have their votes...sunny days and sunny ways brought them on board to the Liberal train for awhile but now these same people are angry because they can't afford a house.

2 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Totally agree. The biggest problem is that some sectors are seeing up to 20% inflation rate and it's not the little sections of the economy, they are the bread and butter kitchen table bills that people struggle with, Gas has risen over 30%, housing is experiencing almost 20%. Both of these are completely within the scope of the federal government to address Some of our inflation is a world issue, some is even supply issues, but it is Liberal propaganda to suggest that our country is powerless against inflation in all sectors. Just the Liberals trying to avoid talking about the economy.

13 hours ago, iHeart said:

They do vote against him 

This is why they as so pissed off. Because the rest of the country disagrees with them and they don't like it.

Just now, JCon said:

There is no "rampant" inflation. You can be afraid of whatever you want but there is no hyperinflation. Interest rates remain historically low and the supply chain issues, which drove inflation, are being resolved. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Agreed I wouldn't call inflation rampant YET.  But it is heading that way.  All I said was   having lived through it, in an industry that carries heavy debt loads  it scares the hell out of me.  I dont find it at all a joking matter.It changed my view of the business, politics and economics and the world.. Interestingly it moved me to the left.

39 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Spoken like a true Liberal who cannot listen to an opposing viewpoint without name calling and resorting to misrepresent all who oppose their viewpoints.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

They do vote against him 

This is why they as so pissed off. Because the rest of the country disagrees with them and they don't like it.

Acutally the rest of country does not disagree with them as they have lost the popular vote in consecutive elections. What does not agree with them is the efficiency of their votes.

Just now, JCon said:

What do conservatives even stand for these days? 

What do Liberals? What does any politician or party?