State of the League Address

Rich

There is a difference in saying the reffing is bad and the whole process needs review.

Orridge is correct in stressing the whole process must be looked at and made better. To me, that is the where the stigma starts and stops with the CFL.

It's easy to say the reffing is bad, but there is not one sport where fans, and the sport itself, can say that the reffing is good to very good. Every sport has their weak points - the human element, if you will.

Bad calls will always be a part of sporting games and the CFL is no different. Where the problem arises is that when we're told the review process will correct errors - and they don't, then the spotlight hits, and it taints whatever they're doing right.

Reffing is never easy. Try it if you don't believe me. Even the best ones make mistakes. But those mistakes should not be compounded by the review process.     

Make the corrections CFL. CFL fans and other leagues have their eyes on you. Let's get it right this time.

45 minutes ago, JCon said:

The refing is so bad, it's making the product unwatchable, IMO.

The CFL doesn't get it and is happy to just apologize each week for the most egregious errors.

I see this comment repeatedly and I just don't get it, the officiating is incidental to the game and always has been.  Sort of like taxes, we don't like them but they're there at every turn.

Another commissioner who wont acknowledge what is right in front of him - that contact sports have the potential to lead to brain disease.  I'd respect him (and Bettman) more if they said 'look, there are legal ramifications here so I cant comment' then this garbage.  It makes them look clueless.  "Last I heard..." is so dismissive as if he doesnt care and just heard something somewhere...

On 11/25/2016 at 7:53 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Another commissioner who wont acknowledge what is right in front of him - that contact sports have the potential to lead to brain disease.  I'd respect him (and Bettman) more if they said 'look, there are legal ramifications here so I cant comment' then this garbage.  It makes them look clueless.  "Last I heard..." is so dismissive as if he doesnt care and just heard something somewhere...

Orridge is just a mouth piece, he has no control over the words that come out of his mouth.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

5 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I see this comment repeatedly and I just don't get it, the officiating is incidental to the game and always has been.  Sort of like taxes, we don't like them but they're there at every turn.

I don't understand your comment. Taxes are imposed with a consistent set of rules.

I don't have a problem with them imposing the rules. My point is that the refing is very inconsistent from play to play, week to week. The quality of refing is very low in the CFL.

The poor refing is not incidentally because it can have, and has had, a direct impacted the result of the games.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Or, something like 'Look I'm not in the position to make a comment about the link between the two but I will say we are constantly trying to improve the safety of the game for our players, that is priority one'.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree with you but I was just thinking I'm not sure what the best response is... some sort of recognition without admitting...

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Or, something like 'Look I'm not in the position to make a comment about the link between the two but I will say we are constantly trying to improve the safety of the game for our players, that is priority one'.

and then HardCoreBlue went and said this... which is just about perfect....

3 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

There's no link between concussions and CTE lol what a joke... the NFL has already admitted that there is in court.

100% ridiculous. Makes me sick that he took that stance. 

10 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Orridge is just a mouth piece, he has no control of the words that come out of his mouth.

how many times did we see entire halfs where one team got a bunch of flags and the other team none? This was the worst season of reffing ive seen in atleast 15 years. The early 2ks and late 90s may or may not have been worse. Hard to tell at this point. I hate he horrible PI calls. We also saw a TON of inconsistency through the year with regards to cheap shots, late hits, and UR. 

On 11/25/2016 at 10:07 AM, JCon said:

I don't understand your comment. Taxes are imposed with a consistent set of rules.

I don't have a problem with them imposing the rules. My point is that the refing is very inconsistent from play to play, week to week. The quality of refing is very low in the CFL.

The poor refing is not incidentally because it can have, and has had, a direct impacted the result of the games.

Oh yeah? :)