US Politics

Rich

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

You said limiting free speech AND undermining the institutions.  One does not necessarily imply the other.  Undermining the media is not limiting free speech.  He is undermining the institutions, yes, but not limiting free speech.  Why lie and exaggerate to make your point?  It just makes honest, intelligent liberals look bad.

Why be so antagonistic and accusatory?  I don't see what that serves. Up to this point the discussion was civil.

7 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Why be so antagonistic and accusatory?  I don't see what that serves. Up to this point the discussion was civil.

I took a break but had to come back to MBB because I was becoming too antagonistic in real life.  It's specifically why I come here.  I need it as an outlet for my anger. 

15 hours ago, Atomic said:

You said limiting free speech AND undermining the institutions.  One does not necessarily imply the other.  Undermining the media is not limiting free speech.  He is undermining the institutions, yes, but not limiting free speech.  Why lie and exaggerate to make your point?  It just makes honest, intelligent liberals look bad.

I said they've started that, which begins with undermining the institutions.

Quit with your grandstanding, ad hominem attacks.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:56 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

So despite evidence of widespread voter fraud, Trump now wants an investigation.  Because he just cant handle that he didnt win the popular vote.

And unless I am remembering incorrectly, didnt the White House say Trump won the popular vote when voter fraud was calculated but when pressed as to if that was true, would there be an investigation, they said no...?  So Im guessing Trump also got his **** up about the media calling him out about it. 

This guy has the potential to be an utter disaster with an ego like that.  Its entertaining though.  Also, I saw Trump hotels has plans to double its locations.  hmmmm

huge ego + thin skin + power = typically not a good equation... 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I said they've started that, which begins with undermining the institutions.

Quit with your grandstanding, ad hominem attacks.

That was not an ad hominem attack.  I was attacking the statement that they are limiting free speech.

If I'd said "Oh you JCon, you always talk trash about Trump, so no one should trust you!!", that would have been an ad hominem.

Grandstanding?  guilty as charged.

The number 1 is placed in front of two people.

The question is posed: What number is that?

Person A says Number one.

Person B says Number two.

Person A is befuddled and says no it's a number one.

Person B says, here we go again, people going to their default position with negativity. It's so demoralizing.

Personally I'm getting more and more worried about this. We need to shut down this approach before it becomes a norm.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

The number 1 is placed in front of two people.

The question is posed: What number is that?

Person A says Number one.

Person B says Number two.

Person A is befuddled and says no it's a number one.

Person B says, here we go again, people going to their default position with negativity. It's so demoralizing.

Personally I'm getting more and more worried about this. We need to shut down this approach before it becomes a norm.

It's been the norm for years.  Person B is just getting louder.

Yup. I've expressed concerns about Islam in the past because I think someone truly devoted to it inherienrly doesn't have room for other beliefs. But the problem is there are some very good people who embrace Islam up to a certain point but not beyond. Much like Christianity in a different way. Whereas I think embracing Christianity requires one to love and accept differences there are extremists that distort it. 

The idea that an innocent individual with a valid Green Card could be banned from re entering the US is appalling.  Or that someone just suspected of a crime could be thrown out with out due process. It's scary. 

Trump is the son of immigrants. But they were white immigrants so he sees a distinction. 

Dark days. 

On 2017-01-27 at 8:42 AM, bearpants said:

huge ego + thin skin + power = typically not a good equation... 

you're speaking of atomic here right?

I strongly disagree.

Edited by Mark F

Goalie, yep

Americans overthrew the leader of Iran in 1954, installed a murderous dictator, (which led to the present ayatollahs) overthrew several regimes in Iraq, overthrew the Gadaffi regime in Libya which is now in chaos,  sent people to Syria to be tortured, (Canadian Maher Arar), then decided Assad had to go, five hundred thousand dead later, Assad is staying, shipping bombs to Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to annihilate Yemen, the worlds poorest country.

This is just a year or two before Bush invaded Iraq

l_d928dd44fd764f34bf54030a2a01c98a.jpg

Edited by Mark F

Saw that duel citizens can't enter either if they hold citizenship with one of the banned countries including the Canadian Immigration Minister. 

And Homeland Security had no input. This is Trump waving his **** around. 

I'm disappointed in some of the right wing conservatives I follow in a Canada who are defending this. It seems like it's more acceptable to be openly hostile and prejudiced now.  

Hundreds of Muslim visa-holders detained at US airports, including 13 here in Seattle. Lots of airport protests, New York federal judge declares an injunction against the enforcement of some parts of the anti-Muslim executive order. My wife's out protesting right now, but told me not to come as I'm a green card holder and my legal ability to stay in this country can be revoked without a heck of a lot of due process.  That's immigration law for you.

**** is getting real. I just signed up for a monthly donation to the ACLU.

People were earlier talking about the lies of Donald Trump, how ridiculous they are etc. The most interesting thing I've read about that is that these things are not meant to be true .. they are things that need to be believed in order to set the stage for the next move.

The 3-5MM illegal votes is a great example of this. It's laughable, there's no proof, and if HRC picked up five million illegal votes the exit polls would have shown it. It looks like an ego thing for Trump, him raging about losing the popular vote, but my money is that his people are laying the rhetorical groundwork for more voter suppression. Lots more voter suppression. They could take the Texas model nationwide -- in Texas right now, you can be arrested for running a voter registration operation.  Listen for people repeating that "3-5 million illegal votes" number, trying to make it take root.

Edited by johnzo

From the WFP:

The Trudeau government has received assurances that Canadian passport holders will not be caught up in an American travel ban that has barred citizens of seven countries from entering the United States.

An email from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's office late Saturday said the U.S. has given assurances that Canadians with dual citizenship will not be turned away at the border.

"We have been assured that Canadian citizens travelling on Canadian passports will be dealt with in the usual process," said the email from Kate Purchase, Trudeau's director of communications.

Earlier the U.S. State Department said Canadians with dual citizenship from Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Yemen and Libya would be denied entry for the next three months along with citizens from those countries.

But Purchase's email said Trudeau's National Security Adviser Daniel Jean and other officials were in contact with their American counterparts, including Trump's National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.

"NSA Flynn confirmed that holders of Canadian passports, including dual citizens, will not be affected by the ban," Purchase said.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/travel/canadian-airline-issues-statement-in-response-to-us-ban-on-7-muslims-countries--412047973.html