US Politics

Rich

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

A lot of jobs in IT private sector are cut throat.   It seems much worse the bigger the company is. 

I know lots of people with horror stories from IBM / Microsoft / HP.... 

Winnipeg is less cut throat since most people end up moving away since the pay here is *turr-ible*. 

I guess it depends on the job.  I've never worked at a company of that size, but then, I'm a developer not a sysadmin scrub.  Big pay days are not hard to come by in Winnipeg if you work at a company that is small enough to not have corporate-defined pay structures, but big enough that they don't pay bottom-of-the-barrel wages.  But you aren't going to find those jobs on a job board, gotta be well-connected to find them.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I guess it depends on the job.  I've never worked at a company of that size, but then, I'm a developer not a sysadmin scrub.  Big pay days are not hard to come by in Winnipeg if you work at a company that is small enough to not have corporate-defined pay structures, but big enough that they don't pay bottom-of-the-barrel wages.  But you aren't going to find those jobs on a job board, gotta be well-connected to find them.

Yup, the hidden job market.

8 hours ago, Atomic said:

Not so sure about that one... I doubt they're very good (how would you know if they are?), and most IT jobs in the private sector are the furthest thing from cutthroat and demanding.... source: I've spent my career in IT...

That's what they tell me. As for knowing that they're good, let's just say they know their around a Sonic Wall, just to give you one example. 

7 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

In a little over an hour Trump will have the nuke codes and of course he has Twitter. He'll almost be as powerful as Bill Belichick!

What if he orders a Nuke strike via twitter by tweeting the codes with hashtag nukeIran?

So Ive always wondered, what if there was a 9/11 type attack on Inauguration day?  Would they just immediately swear in the new President?  Would they postpone it and leave the former President in charge?  And since the VP is sworn in first could there be an extension where Obama was President and Pence was VP?  What if the attack happened yesterday?  Could Obama just cancel the transition?

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

Apparently if Trump wasn't sworn in Obama could appoint someone but I'm not totally sure if that is accurate ...

I would think there has to be a swearing in or else a person isnt President.  Seems to be the way they work it.  For example when JFK was shot and they did the hastily assembled swearing in.  Perhaps the 25th Amendment would come into play and it would pass to Pence if he was already sworn in. 

I remember the nuts talking about Bush's plan to declare some sort of martial law and suspend elections.  So maybe Obama, under extreme cases, could simply suspend the transition and remain President.

good comment here from a writer I like

"This is a staggering day. Someone whose most high-profile public decision-making prior to this point was whether to throw off Gary Busey or Cyndi Lauper from his make-believe TV show is getting control of the nuclear codes. It's proper to call it surreal and befitting our post-modern era. For some it's quite sad and fearful.

For the last two months I've buried my head in my work and haven't done a lot of thinking about the big picture. I think we all get corrupted by too prematurely placing things in major contexts and trying to untangle "what it all means" as it's happening. Sometimes life needs to play out, both politically and culturally. There's a lot of renewed energy on the right, to force delivery on the promises of the Trump presidency. And there's potentially even more energy on the left, mainly to resist. What's missing right now amid that chaotic clash is a narrative of who's really in control, who's really in power, and how they secure it"

movie I enjoyed about a coup usurping the Presidency is "seven days in May".... Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster.....was on youtube, but gone now.

Kennedy watched it, and thought it was good, it's said.

Edited by Mark F

I really admire the people that are able to draw the line between the man and the position.  What I mean is, Obama and his wife have routinely been critical of Trump but have seemed incredibly gracious and professional during the transition and today, doing their duty.  Same with the Clintons.  Same with the Bush's.  I read a story about HW Bush, who had that awful defeat to Bill, left him a very gracious note on the Oval Office desk and if I recall, W. did for Obama as well.

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I really admire the people that are able to draw the line between the man and the position.  What I mean is, Obama and his wife have routinely been critical of Trump but have seemed incredibly gracious and professional during the transition and today, doing their duty.  Same with the Clintons.  Same with the Bush's.  I read a story about HW Bush, who had that awful defeat to Bill, left him a very gracious note on the Oval Office desk and if I recall, W. did for Obama as well.

I'm sure Mike Pence will do the same when he leaves the oval office. :P

Just now, Goalie said:

The white house website has removed all mentions of climate change. 

Lol. I'm not convinced climate change is a real thing exactly but you can't ignore that it might be 

I believe climate change is real.  The climate isnt stagnate on this planet.  It changes all the time.  Always has, always will.  Now...the issue is how much does the activity of humanity influence that change and to what degree can WE do to mitigate that if places like China dont?

No matter what humans do, the climate on earth will change.  It will warm.  It will cool.  The North & South poles will melt.  The earth will freeze over.  Unless we can grow powerful enough to control the sun and influence our weather over a geographical age.  We should embrace a sense of being kind to our planet.  We should develop less harmful technologies and fuel.  Not just for the climate or planet but so as not to be reliant on one energy or to allow one industry to gain infinite power and influence. 

I remember a time when no one even knew what recycling meant.  Ofcourse that was back when we were being tough in schools that an ice age was coming upon us.  Times change. 

Bankrupting a nation for the climate racket is silly.  Reasonable kindness to the planet is a great idea.  Spend money on enriching your people, feeding the hungry etc. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Today Orange is the New Black. 

Hey I already used that one!

Climate change is almost certainly affected in some way by humans but taxing and destroying businesses isn't the way to stop it.  Encouraging innovations such as electric cars and renewable energy like solar and hydro is the way forward.  Taxing the public is just the lazy way for the government to say they're doing something about climate change.

Sounds like Trump is going to let them destroy their National Parks.  that would be my guess.

I suppose also, open up drilling off the east and west coasts, which the people up and down there will love. /sarcasm.

Cause there aren't any restrictions on fracking in most places, except for instance New York state but those are state restrictions.

The funny part is there is an oil oversupply, and it's not going away, according to some energy types. So all they'll do is destroy some of their beautiful parks for oil that isn't needed/wanted/will drive down the price.

bad news for Alberta projects.

blah blah edit blah

Edited by Mark F

52 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Climate change is almost certainly affected in some way by humans but taxing and destroying businesses isn't the way to stop it.

We might want to cancel the half a trillion annual subsidies that oil business gets as a starting point for changing things.

more importantly, I see there's some plagiarism going on here!

Edited by Mark F

a lot of people couldn't get in due to the protesters.  At least that's what some are saying.  You can't believe anything anymore so who knows, and even better, who cares.  The fact that people are even debating the number of people who attended an Inauguration just shows there is way too much attention being given this stuff right now.  Time to take a Trump break.