US Politics

Rich

I dont have an issue with the focus being on Islamic extremists.  In fact, it would be refreshing for this admin to stop blanket punishing all Muslims and focus instead on the bad ones.  But hopefully that is not to the detriment of being alert to white nationalists and your average nut.  But a pessimist might say that the type of gun nut, anti-government, isolationist type is Trump's base.  And certainly Bannon's.

I don't know the veracity of the source but I've seen making the rounds 

https://www.thenation.com/article/leaked-draft-of-trumps-religious-freedom-order-reveals-sweeping-plans-to-legalize-discrimination/

not sure how this wouldn't violate the constitution but I guess the point of holding sway with the Supreme Court is you can win those challenges. 

3 hours ago, Atomic said:

Is this true?  Seems like 9/11 alone makes this hard to believe.

To me, the point is one can't zone in on one specific group.

There are nuts in every group capable of doing very bad things to fellow human beings.

I like the saying that when one points a finger at someone else, three are pointing right back at them.

47 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To me, the point is one can't zone in on one specific group.

There are nuts in every group capable of doing very bad things to fellow human beings.

I like the saying that when one points a finger at someone else, three are pointing right back at them.

Yeah I understand the point I was just curious about the statement.  It was just a simple mistake/omission on Jacquie's part but it's important to provide accurate evidence to back up talking points or the points get ignored in favour of declaring the proof "incorrect."

Read the transcript from Trump's Black History Month speech.    Not sure why all the fuss? It simply followed the usual formula:

1.  Get though the matter at hand  

"Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who has done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice,"

(sic)

2.  Proceed to ramble at length, on the two absolute priority topics.

a.  Himself

b.  How the media persecutes himself

Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch founded and led a student club called “Fascism Forever,” while attending a private prep school in suburban Washington in the 1980s.

The yearbook of Georgetown Prep described the club as an anti-faculty student group that battled against the “liberal” views of the school administration, according to the UK Daily Mail.

“In political circles, our tireless President Gorsuch’s ‘Fascism Forever Club’ happily jerked its knees against the increasingly ‘left-wing’ tendencies of the faculty,” said the yearbook. Gorsuch led the club all four years he attended the elite all-boys Jesuit school in Bethesda, Maryland.

Gorsuch’s willingness to flaunt anti-democratic ideas in service of his conservative politics continued through his four years at Columbia University in New York City where he founded a chapter of the Federal Society, the conservative law network. His senior photo was accompanied by a “joke” from Henry Kissinger: “The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer

The United States and China will fight a war within the next 10 years over islands in the South China Sea, and “there’s no doubt about that.” At the same time, the US will be in another “major” war in the Middle East.

Those are the views – nine months ago at least – of one of the most powerful men in Donald Trump’s administration, Steve Bannon, the former head of far-right news website Breitbart who is now chief strategist at the White House.

In the first weeks of Trump’s presidency, Bannon has emerged as a central figure. He was appointed to the “principals committee” of the National Security Council in a highly unusual move and was influential in the recent travel ban on citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries, overruling Department of Homeland Security officials who felt the order did not apply to green card holders.

While many in Trump’s team are outspoken critics of China, in radio shows Bannon hosted for Breitbart he makes plain the two largest threats to America: China and Islam.

“We’re going to war in the South China Sea in five to 10 years,” he said in March 2016. “There’s no doubt about that. They’re taking their sandbars and making basically stationary aircraft carriers and putting missiles on those. They come here to the United States in front of our face – and you understand how important face is – and say it’s an ancient territorial sea.”

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Will Trump's reign end with a mushroom cloud or indictments (for him or his advisors)?

The betting is that he will be deposed as incompetent within a year, and by his own party. The afterglow of sweeping both houses and the presidency is fading rapidly and the hangover has begun. 

Mid-terms.  If popular support has swayed so much that Republicans are going to lose both houses, would they act to remove Trump themselves or wait and let the Dems try?

And would Trump go quietly, announcing the "greatest presidency in the history of presidents", stepping down and handing it to Pence or will they be forced to "25" him?  Interesting topic I've heard that the supposed insiders refer to Pence, Ryan and Priebus as the Unholy Trinity and that they hold the real power in the country.  They dont want to risk alienating people with a power play but if there was one, it would probably be those three orchestrating it.

If we actually had a major crises where Trump fired Pence and his Chief of Staff, it wouldnt surprise me.  It would be nuts.  But it wouldnt surprise me.  CoS has to be getting sick of Bannon by now and there are reports Pence is routinely horrified by Trump's actions/words.  We already know Ryan didnt want to support him.

Could we actually see use of the 25th?

24 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Lol this is news now?  Not exactly an uncommon thing among men.  Might as well report on drinking pepto-bismol for stomach pain.

Agreed, I don't see how this falls under US politics- for all his failings as a politician and a human, this is not really... much of anything. If anything it serves to undermine the seriousness of his transgressions and failings as POTUS by making this a "News item".

Uhg... so that's what it feels like defending an Angry, cheeto-hued, thin-skinned, small-handed, Man-baby... time for a silkwood shower...