First post 'expectations in '17'

On 11/18/2016 at 10:45 PM, White Out said:

Ya but a lot of that is natives moving in with lower wage/salaries

That's racist....   and if you are going to go that way then they would moving in with your typical welfare salaries....

I thought that I had read that the city is bringing in 10 000 refugees from Africa every year which wouldn't bring much money and I am to assume that they have no interest in the CFL.  

Just doing the old eye check from going around town I assume the population growth is mostly  folks from Philippines,  India and Africa.   And based on my experiences of going to the games.... they don't seem to like going to the CFL games.  

Now if we immigrated a bunch of folks from Russia and change the Rum hut to a Vodka hut... I would think they would see a massive increase in ticket sales :)  

17 hours ago, Rich said:

The length of the commitment was based on where your seats were located.  Only the prime locations were 5 years. 

I do know that for ticket group I am in (our seats are upper deck centre ice), the renewal came last year or the year before.

I believe the majority of renewals have already come and people either renewed or people from the waiting list stepped in.

I think the biggest reason for the Jets selling out like they have was the scarcity of tickets from their initial return and groups  splitting season tickets. 

No way I'm making the time and financial commitment to go to all home games.  But with groups of people splitting the tickets, which to my knowledge wasn't as prevalent or never happened in Jets 1.0, it is more affordable for people and those people end up going to more games than if they were buying single seats. 

Remember Jet Packs? I think you could buy 10 & 15 games when the Jets 1.0 played out of the Winnipeg Arena. They weren't season tickets but it guaranteed your seat for those games. Don't know if it included the playoffs. Anyone remember? No need for that this time round.

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

That's racist....   and if you are going to go that way then they would moving in with your typical welfare salaries....

I thought that I had read that the city is bringing in 10 000 refugees from Africa every year which wouldn't bring much money and I am to assume that they have no interest in the CFL.  

Just doing the old eye check from going around town I assume the population growth is mostly  folks from Philippines,  India and Africa.   And based on my experiences of going to the games.... they don't seem to like going to the CFL games.  

Now if we immigrated a bunch of folks from Russia and change the Rum hut to a Vodka hut... I would think they would see a massive increase in ticket sales :)  

I don't think that's racist. In fact you suggesting that it's racist is in itself racist.

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Plenty of Russian Mennonites moving into the Bible Belt - big families too - may not even need a vodka hut...

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎18 at 10:59 AM, Fan Boy said:

I hope the Jets are not a real reason for lack of fan support as they seem to be entering an up stage in the cycle. I am not a hockey fan having never played the game but I notice the team seems to be better with a hot shot rookie. I just hope that the inevitable excitement does not eat away any further fan support from the BB than it already has. 

If the Bombers lose more fan support, it's more likely attributable to the lack of a championship is 26 years more than anything.

4 hours ago, basslicker said:

If the Bombers lose more fan support, it's more likely attributable to the lack of a championship is 26 years more than anything.

Good grief, 26 years is just awful. Worse is that after watching Calgary pulverize BC yesterday it seems like we are still very far away from ending that miserable streak of losing.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:46 PM, Brandon said:

The constant losing over the years easily has destroyed the confidence of many fair weather to even good fans.    

Heck even Mike was complaining early this season about never going to see the Blue play again and I would assume that he would be one of the most die hard fans.   

Not quite what I said, but yes your point is valid. ;)

Endzone tickets are too expensive ... lack of low cost seats for families means the teens don't have the Bombers in their blood as they mature .... pick ten tickets are now offered for only the corner seats ... poor greedy marketing in  my opinion ... parking problems could be overcome by higher quality speedy busing but not if feeling 2nd class by bus ride ... ride could be transformed into a better fan experience with a little marketing prowess ... like on board sales of refreshments and gimmicks, football music and whatever the innovators can get us excited about ... marketing is so much more than sales, its about identity and fun and heart and pride rolled into a special experience ten times per year

Parking at IGF is a lame excuse not to go to games. I drive to every game and have no problems. Also, you don't have to park on campus, there are plenty of lots around where it is probably just as close to walk to as a campus lot but much easier to get out of at the end.

Thing is that it is just different, many people had their routines with the old stadium, and people just need to find what works at the new stadium. Other than the first year at IGF, I find that getting in and out of there is much easier than the old stadium.

I think the lack of disposable income with Jets and the losing seasons are the biggest reasons. The team plays so poorly at home, nobody trusts that they are going to be entertained. Even with the season that we had this year, how many games did you go to at IGF confident that the Bombers were going to kick the crap out of our opponent? For me 0, more worried that we are going to play like poop.

That the Bombers have not been embraced by newcomers to Winnipeg is at least partially the fault of Bomber marketing. If the Canucks can draw such large numbers of Sikhs that the Sikhs have their own NHL channel where the games are called in Punjabi, surely the Bombers can do better.

9 hours ago, basslicker said:

the support came back in full force during the 01 era run and the swaggerville era short lived as that may have been. Its not the cumulative effect. Its the current teams momentum and the diversity of the sports market. 

27 minutes ago, tracker said:

That the Bombers have not been embraced by newcomers to Winnipeg is at least partially the fault of Bomber marketing. If the Canucks can draw such large numbers of Sikhs that the Sikhs have their own NHL channel where the games are called in Punjabi, surely the Bombers can do better.

Winnipeg has long had a reputation for not being good at integration. Not just for immigrants and different ethnicity groups but even canadians moving from other parts of the nation.  Its a cultural problem driven by the blue collar low brow broke af nature of the area. Would love to see an out reach program for migrants to get a bunch of tickets to go as a group with some of the friendly blue fans who can show em the game and our team. 

In my opinion the reason for the reduction in season tickets is somewhat simplistic; the product on the field and the location of the stadium. The latter first: you can build the best facility in the world but unless you can move traffic in and out throughout the game and quickly it will be a loser. In Phoenix, where the Cardinals play and the Coyotes, they clear the stadium in less than 15 mins and we are talking anywhere from 70,000 to 10,000 fans. In other words it is accessible. The big thing with IGF is the location no doubt and the fact most are bussed in and cannot leave until at least 10 mins prior to the game ending has some bearing. It was one reason we did not renew. The other is the product on the field. While we did improve this year much against MOS's determination to blow us under the bridge until someone said sit Willy! After that we did well until MOS raised many more questions about his ability as a head coach not to mention Hall as a DC. Combining the two; location and product it isn't any wonder that season tickets have declined since arriving at IGF. Will it continue, that is to be debated. Yes a better product will certainly help but unless they do something with the access to and from the stadium it will continue to hamper any attempts to increase the season ticket holder base. I wish them luck I've been a fan and season ticket holder for many many years but I decided that enough was enough when I had to drive 5kms to catch a shuttle that drove by my residence to get me to the game only having to wait until the game was over even though the outcome was never in doubt by half time. It is a sad testament but unfortunately a true one.

The Pick Ten (buy 10 games of my selected dates in any available seats) used to be how I would buy my tickets ... but there is no way I am sitting in the corner seats ... just don't want to do that ... I will pay premium prices but I want to buy tickets that fit my unusual schedule... besides corners and endzones are over priced IMHO. The club needs to get over the big city illusion and realize we are a unique community with our own mindset. They won't convert us into an elite mentality. We are small town family thinkers, that's all. The CFL is not the NHL or the NFL, JUST ASK ANYONE FROM TORONTO.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:05 AM, Brandon said:

People who move here from other countries don't become fans overnight.  After a few years or a generation when their kids have grown up many do.  I know a few myself.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

the support came back in full force during the 01 era run and the swaggerville era short lived as that may have been. Its not the cumulative effect. Its the current teams momentum and the diversity of the sports market. 

Winnipeg has long had a reputation for not being good at integration. Not just for immigrants and different ethnicity groups but even canadians moving from other parts of the nation.  Its a cultural problem driven by the blue collar low brow broke af nature of the area. Would love to see an out reach program for migrants to get a bunch of tickets to go as a group with some of the friendly blue fans who can show em the game and our team. 

All cities struggle with this to some degree I would think.  I think events like Folklorama (the only one of it's kind in the country) may mitigate against these issues of integration you speak of.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎21 at 8:39 PM, wbbfan said:

Really dude?  Idiotic statement of the week.

We're talking about location of the stadium again.  Polo Park was not easy to get in and out of.  I found it easier to take the bus back then.

Placing the IGF stadium there made a lot of sense. There is currently a transit station being built there and the bus congestion will will be eased and taken out of the automobile traffic so that will be better. This location complaint is ridiculous.  I don't go on Jets boards but do the people complain there because I have been downtown on Jets game days and it is horrible.  I guess people would prefer the Ottawas Hockey arena in the middle of a big empty space.  I have never been near there on a game day but there sure would be room to park. 

Besides making the games a day experience is much better idea. 

7 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

We're talking about location of the stadium again.  Polo Park was not easy to get in and out of.  I found it easier to take the bus back then.

Placing the IGF stadium there made a lot of sense. There is currently a transit station being built there and the bus congestion will will be eased and taken out of the automobile traffic so that will be better. This location complaint is ridiculous.  I don't go on Jets boards but do the people complain there because I have been downtown on Jets game days and it is horrible.  I guess people would prefer the Ottawas Hockey arena in the middle of a big empty space.  I have never been near there on a game day but there sure would be room to park. 

Besides making the games a day experience is much better idea. 

It definitely was easier to get out of Polo Park. You can't debate that.

The Ottawa hockey arena is quite a bit out of town.  It would be the same if the Jets played out of Oakbank..    

26 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It definitely was easier to get out of Polo Park. You can't debate that.

I dunno that it was, it's just that the stadium was there for 50 years, people figured out what worked for them and had that same routine every single time. New location though people have to come up with new ****. I know the few times I go to games I usually park somewhere a ways off and walk, it's fine. Now maybe people don't want to walk and that's the problem?