3 stars plus HH

wbbfan

57 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Even the best QB's don't make every throw.  But Nichols managed the game perfectly and we fans have to come to accept that Nichols is a more conservative (small c) QB.  But quite frankly that fits Lapo's offence just perfectly. 

I'll take a game manager who turns the ball over less than the alternative. 

he certainly is, especially when hes at his best. How sustainable it is to live off those short passes while missing deep shots remains un seen. Thatd be something to see next year. 

The problem is, thats still 21 points. And that early pick would have been disastrous. If your going to accept that of nichols, you certainly have to accept that harris whose far better at what he does is a guy whose going to fight for every inch. 

15 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

I wouldn't give Harris any kudos today.  He ran well but he really needs to protect the ball in that situation vs. going for the extra yards.  That could have lost the game for us right there.  

1.  Leggat

2.  Nichols

3.   The entire O-line

HH.  Coach O'Shea...outcoached Wally Buono today.   

He didn't out-whine him though. My gawd Wally's a slobbering crybaby.

4 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I agree. We should be scoring 58 points every game. Nichols blows.

speaking of 58 points, Rod Hill was at my sons football game today, and they were winning 32-8 at half he went over to their half time huddle and challenged them to get 100 points (made them all laugh) he said even when your up you keep going and take it to them. they finished 58-20 but I agree with his statements and felt the same way even when we were up 21-3 yesterday

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

he certainly is, especially when hes at his best. How sustainable it is to live off those short passes while missing deep shots remains un seen. Thatd be something to see next year. 

You could talk to Ricky Ray and AC about short passes and career success both are/were masters of short passes. Longs passes are fun to watch for sure, but fact is you are not going to get very many in a game. There are plenty of QBs right now that survive mostly on the short and medium pass. 

Me I don't care. You take what you can get. If you do that and sprinkle in some long ball and running you are going to win more than you lose.

12 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Anyone else starting to think the Nichols might actually be a real starting QB? He is starting to remind me of what we hoped Willy was going to be.

I mean... when the guy first showed up in the league he looked REALLY good... but then broke his leg badly.  Won his job in competition with Reilly... and then tore his ACL in preseason (at which point Reilly had clearly established himself as the starter.

If Nichols had never broken his leg/tore his ACL there is a reasonable probability he would still be the starting QB in Edmonton right now.

10 hours ago, Valderan_CA said:

I mean... when the guy first showed up in the league he looked REALLY good... but then broke his leg badly.  Won his job in competition with Reilly... and then tore his ACL in preseason (at which point Reilly had clearly established himself as the starter.

If Nichols had never broken his leg/tore his ACL there is a reasonable probability he would still be the starting QB in Edmonton right now.

This seems like some revisionist history. Reilly was always going to be the starter.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎08 at 6:18 PM, tracker said:

Nichols played a good, solid game too. He keeps getting better and better.

I agree he's playing solid football right now. Nothing spectacular, but we're not turning the ball over. I don't know about the getting better part, I still think his mobility and overall scrambling leave something to be desired.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎08 at 6:58 PM, tracker said:

I thought O'Shea had lost only one challenge.

I think both coaches were reluctant to use their last time out on a challenge, and I think that's why MOS didn't throw down. In a close game coming down to the last possession I think they guard that time out. As a fan in the stands I hate all the challenges....kills the game.

My 3 stars:

Leggett.....thought he was done and done when he came off the field. Will be interesting to see if he can play this week.

Dressler.....he did so much in this game

LaPo.....finally some trick plays, some rolling pocket to keep the Lions D off-balance

HH...o'line. I really like Hardrick's energy and the two monsters on the left side just dominate. Watched those guys pick up a d'line stunt perfectly

Nichols to me is one of the best "game manager" QBs we've seen in ages... knows when to toss it away, when to try and go deep and rarely puts the ball into a bad situation when he can avoid it.  we can most definitely win with him behind centre with the way he protects the ball.   He's also capable enough to make plays on his own to extend drives.  He may not be flashy like Jennings or Collaros can be but he's definitely a QB we can build and rally around for now.

8 minutes ago, ddanger said:

I agree he's playing solid football right now. Nothing spectacular, but we're not turning the ball over. I don't know about the getting better part, I still think his mobility and overall scrambling leave something to be desired.

Nichols works well with the skills he has and he will only get better with time because his biggest asset is his QB brain.  If the Bombers can maintain his protection and give him better tools to work with the team will remain competitive for the foreseeable future.  He's never going to be a superstar QB but he provides a blue collar approach that fits the team well. 

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nichols works well with the skills he has and he will only get better with time because his biggest asset is his QB brain.  If the Bombers can maintain his protection and give him better tools to work with the team will remain competitive for the foreseeable future.  He's never going to be a superstar QB but he provides a blue collar approach that fits the team well. 

well said...

34 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Nichols to me is one of the best "game manager" QBs we've seen in ages... knows when to toss it away, when to try and go deep and rarely puts the ball into a bad situation when he can avoid it.  we can most definitely win with him behind centre with the way he protects the ball.   He's also capable enough to make plays on his own to extend drives.  He may not be flashy like Jennings or Collaros can be but he's definitely a QB we can build and rally around for now.

Who are you, the Amazing Kreskin?

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2016-01-10-1452459322-8956329-amazingkreskin2-thumb.jpg

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I watched the game again this afternoon - same question...

kohlert smith and dressler all missed in very similar fashion for easy tds.

26 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Pretty much. If he can keep it up is some what questionable though. Hes had what 4 picks called back on penalties in the last 4 games? Tons of db drops before that. But he does show steady but not flashy improvement. It will be interesting to see but probably not some thing we will know till next year.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

kohlert smith and dressler all missed in very similar fashion for easy tds.

Pretty much. If he can keep it up is some what questionable though. Hes had what 4 picks called back on penalties in the last 4 games? Tons of db drops before that. But he does show steady but not flashy improvement. It will be interesting to see but probably not some thing we will know till next year.

Is that before or after Lapo gets fired and Buck takes over?

Matt Nichols.. Nothing fancy but gets the job done. 2 TD's, 0 turn overs, ( one TD catch;)) 233 yards passing. Jonathon Jennings with the sexy stats.. 422 yards passing but two INT's and zero touchdowns. Nichols wins the game, Jenning's takes the loss. Managing the game and avoiding turn overs will get you win 9 times out of 10. Really impressed by the play of Nichols right now.

On 10/8/2016 at 6:11 PM, bustamente said:

1 Mo Leggatt

2 Mo Leggatt

3 Mo Leggatt

HH The trainers that got Mo Leggatt back in the game.

Seriously Mo Leggatt is the Defensive player of the year in the CFL and it's not even close.

Completely agree... but if you're gonna nominate LEGGETT 3 times.... spell his name right!! :D

On 10/8/2016 at 7:43 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Don't forget Dressler had that fake FG run in the first quarter. Agree with your calls other than that. Also I might be wrong, but I think the trick play was actually a double-reverse (harris to kohlert) who then tossed it to Nichols.

you're right... and that was the most critical part of the play... Harris rolled left and the entire defense bit thinking he would run... leaving Nichols to run wide open to the right...

On 10/10/2016 at 8:50 AM, Jesse said:

This seems like some revisionist history. Reilly was always going to be the starter.

not really... had Nichols not suffered that gruesome broken leg, he may have established himself as the starter long before Reilly emerged as an option...

On 10/10/2016 at 6:50 AM, Jesse said:

The media was reporting that the Edmonton starting job was an open competition back in 2013. 

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nichols-reilly-duel-for-qb-job-as-edmonton-eskimos-open-training-camp-1.1307690

Man, Nichols was snakebit in Edmonton -- concussion in 2012, gruesome ankle break later that year, blows out his ACL in 2013, then he's out of favour with Chris Jones in 2015.  Nice to see a guy put the bad luck behind him.

I seem to recall that back before his leg injuries, Nichols had some serious wheels on him, he could get downfield in a hurry.