Award winners at the 2/3 mark

TrueBlue4ever

OK, the second segment of 6 games is now done, so who are the contenders for the Shaw CFL Awards (Schenley Award was so much cooler sounding back in the day) from the Bombers? One poster's suggestions below, happy to hear other opinions.

Most Outstanding Player - The whole team has been clicking, with no real dominant performances that have carried the team repeatedly a la Milt Stegall, and different players stepping up each game. And since there is an award for defence and special teams, kind of default to offence here. I would say Andrew Harris, who was leading the league in rushing before missing the last game, but could Justin Medlock actually challenge for this award, given how clutch he has been and how many wins would be losses without his accuracy? And Weston Dressler may have something to say about this by year's end.

(Most Valuable Player) - Not an official award, but maybe more appropriate for this team given that we have no dominant stats guys like a Mike Reilly, Bo Levi Mitchell, Adarius Bowman, etc. Again, Medlock has been vital to our success in close games, but can anyone deny that, pedestrian stats or not, Matt Nicholls has clearly turned this season around for us and has this offence (and defence) inspired with his fire and drive? 7-0 as a starter clinches it for me.

Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Ian Wild has been a tackling machine, and Taylor Loffler brings a physical element to the safety position that has been missing. In fact, after I finished this write-up I went back and looked at Khalil Bass' stats and realized what a "quietly" outstanding season he has had (55 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery), and he may be the most underrated player on that defence. But I will take Maurice Leggett for his league leading 6 interceptions from the linebacker spot.

Most Outstanding Special Teams Player - With all due respect to Quincy McDuffie and Kevin "are you kidding me, another flag?" Fogg, it is Justin Medlock hands down. 

Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman - I have no special insight into this position, so happy to be corrected here by someone in the know, but the o-line seems to have been resurrected into a force since Travis Bond got in there.

Most Outstanding Canadian - Jamaal Westerman's team leading 5 sacks put him in the running, and Taylor Loffler's overall "presence" scores him some points, but this is down to Andrew Harris. The offence was intended to be built around Harris' skill set, so the glamour position is hard to ignore. We'll see if the injury changes this outlook. (Yes, I edited this because I am an idiot and assumed kickers are Canadian for a split second. That's a paddlin' coming my way.)

Most Outstanding Rookie - OK, I can't keep making Taylor Loffler second best in every category, can I? Well......  In this corner, you have Loffler's 1 sack, 2 INT's, 1 forced fumble, 5 special teams tackles, and 27 tackles (and it feels like each one of them caused an injury to an opponent), and beyond that, how many receivers hear footsteps and bail out on tough catches when he is near? But in the other corner, Kevin Fogg has 3 INT's and 1 sack, plus an astounding 58 tackles (2 off of Wild's club lead), not counting his 1 special teams tackle, plus 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery. Fogg did have that one monster game in Toronto that may give me a bias, and Loffler's passport should not be discounted, but the tie breaker for me is Fogg's punt return work. He is fourth overall with 489 return yards, has a ridiculous 15.3 yard return average (second only to Chris Rainey in BC) and if his 3 TDs hadn't been called back by penalties (2 of which, and arguably all 3 had zero bearing on his returns given that he had already beaten the coverage and was clear to the end zone before the flags were thrown) he'd be leading the league in return TD's and likely return average. It's Kevin Fogg for me, and I don't think it's that razor thin a victory. Now light up the torches and bring the pitchforks.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Most Outstanding Player - Andrew Harris

Most Outstanding Canadian - can't really give it to anyone else but Harris if he's the MOP

Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Maurice Leggett

Most Outstanding Lineman - Matthias Goossen

Most Outstanding Special Teams Player - Justin Medlock

Most Outstanding Rookie - Taylor Loffler

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Medlock is not Canadian.

Crap, I knew that too! Got lost in my processing. And maybe all of my Medlock love blinded me. I'll edit that. Sorry all.

And thanks to the MBB fact-checkers and copy editors for catching that. The Regina Leader-Post may be hiring and you'd be a good fit.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Most Outstanding Canadian - Andrew Harris

Most Outstanding Lineman - Travis Bond

Most Outstanding Rookie - Kevin Fogg (Loffler if Fogg isn't eligible)

9 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Most Outstanding Lineman - Travis Bond

Most Outstanding Rookie - Kevin Fogg (Loffler if Fogg isn't eligible)

I was gonna post my own but they are a carbon copy of yours. I think the list will change by season's end a little but at this point that's what I would go with.

MOP - Andrew Harris... honourable mention (might have something to say about it): Weston Dressler and Matt Nichols

MOC - Andrew Harris... HM: Jamaal Westerman and Taylor Loffler

MODP - Mo Leggett... HM: Ian Wild, Khlil Bass, Taylor Loffler, Kevin Fogg

MOL: Stanley Bryant.... HM: Travis Bond, Jamarcus Hardrick

MOSTP: Justin Medlock... HM: I guess Kevin Fogg but this one isn't really close

MOR: Kevin Fogg... HM: Taylor Loffler

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Crap, I knew that too! Got lost in my processing. And maybe all of my Medlock love blinded me. I'll edit that. Sorry all.

And thanks to the MBB fact-checkers and copy editors for catching that. The Regina Leader-Post may be hiring and you'd be a good fit.

This was unforgivable. Commit seppuku immediately to atone.

I think people should put a reason why they made their selections; the OP made an amazing post with lots of points to discuss about.  Those that responded put down one liners, but what makes you pick them over the runner up?  Is there even a runner up in your mind.  It's interesting to hear the reasons behind the picks.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Most Outstanding Canadian - can't really give it to anyone else but Harris if he's the MOP

id go with this list too tho Lineman could be a coin flip with a few of our hogs

3 hours ago, Mike said:

i am curious about this choice, please explain

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I think loffler is a threat to be the teams MOC. Especially if we see split touches with flanders or harris misses more time. 

Goossen as MOL? hes been the weak spot of the guys that currently start. He struggles still with switches and blitz pick up. Hasnt been especially good at opening up holes or scraping to the second level in the run game.  Bond should get it, I wouldnt be surprised if it went to bryant.

MOP Its a hard choice. Id probably go harris too, though we saw the same level of production out of flanders.

I think BLM wins. 

MOC harris 

I think the leading rusher between harris and messam wins. 

MODP MO

Mo is deserving but I think charleston hughes gets it. 

MOL bond

Hard to say ive watched maybe half the cfl games the bombers havent played. bond is deserving.

MOSTP medlock

Banks and paredes will be a threat, but medlock should get it.

MOR Fogg

And fogg gets it. 

MOR fogg. 

I dont see us getting more then 2 awards. I think those will be fogg and medlock as rookie and teams.

Not sure about the Bombers... but for the Riders I'd have to say...

Most Outstanding Player - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Canadian - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Lineman - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Special Teams Player - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Rookie - Chris Jones

Probably the biggest signing by the Riders this year.

MOP - gonna go with Harris. He's been the most consistent one. HM to Dressler and Moe Leggett 

MOC - Harris again. Just has to be. HM to Goossen and Loffler but it's Harris by a country mile 

MODP - has to be Mr steal your pass Moe Leggett. Really been a game changer and leads the league in Interceptions. HM to Wild the tackle machine and Jamal "held on every play" Westerman 

MOL - I want to say Bond but I feel Goossen has been the most consistent and has played every game.  Such a huge upgrade on Picard. HM to Bond 

MOSTP - It's Medlock.  It's not close. HM to D Jones and Garrett Waggoner who I feel are very underrated and overlooked but both have huge impact on special teams 

MOR- Tough one. I'd say Fogg if he's eligible. If not it's Loffler for sure. HM to Frederick tho. And I'm gonna give an HM to Thomas Mayo. Yeah he hasn't played a ton but when he has he's been pretty solid 

19 hours ago, bearpants said:

MOP - Andrew Harris... honourable mention (might have something to say about it): Weston Dressler and Matt Nichols

MOC - Andrew Harris... HM: Jamaal Westerman and Taylor Loffler

MODP - Mo Leggett... HM: Ian Wild, Khlil Bass, Taylor Loffler, Kevin Fogg

MOL: Stanley Bryant.... HM: Travis Bond, Jamarcus Hardrick

MOSTP: Justin Medlock... HM: I guess Kevin Fogg but this one isn't really close

MOR: Kevin Fogg... HM: Taylor Loffler

18 hours ago, Tehedra said:

I think people should put a reason why they made their selections

You're right, so here it goes...

Harris: has been the most consistent player on offense and I basically just defaulted this award to the offense
Harris: see above
Leggett: he is the clearly the leader of this team on and off the field... he leads the league in INTs and has taken 3 of them back for 6... always around the ball making plays... just a straight up player...
Bryant: has been the one consistent rock all year and plays the hardest position... Hardrick has been a nice spark plug and Bond has contributed nicely but Bryant is the leader on the line
Medlock: Money Medlock... not much else to say
Fogg: is a threat to take one back on every punt return and he's been solid at one of the hardest positions in the secondary... love Loffler too but Fogg has been too good and consistent...

Ok, I'll let myself be arsed and provide some rationale:

Most Outstanding Player - Matt Nicholls

I don't care how good Harris, the OL, & the D are, we wouldn't be winning without the intangibles Nicholls has brought to the table.  Game management, ball protection, executing the game plan, and just being a leader.

He has to show up somewhere on the list. Plays with grit, heart, and talent. Pass protection, running, and receiving - he's a golden ratio breaker

Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Kevin Fogg

He plays a difficult position and has his receiver locked down most of the time. Other players have more picks and more tackles, but they flat out don't throw the ball Fogg's way very often.

Most Outstanding Lineman - Stanley Bryant

The left side of the offensive line is locked down 95% of the time. You don't achieve that without a shutdown left tackle - period.

Obvious choice - winning streak simply doesn't happen with the kicking we got last year. With a conservative offense he is often asked to make long kicks - and he delivers. He's a big part of why the conservative O game plan is working as well as it is. When you know you can get three points, you're less likely to throw risky passes or run high risk,  high reward plays.

A rookie - bringing fear from the safety position - impressive. Good reads, good reactions, positionally sound.

On 9/19/2016 at 10:34 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Not sure about the Bombers... but for the Riders I'd have to say...

Most Outstanding Player - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Canadian - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Defensive Player - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Lineman - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Special Teams Player - Chris Jones
Most Outstanding Rookie - Chris Jones

Probably the biggest signing by the Riders this year.

tumblr_n8u3eaAjdZ1tuv0t1o1_500.gif