Miller starting contract extension talks with Walters O'Shea

Jpan85

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

but if they didn't have a kicker who can hit consistently from 45 yards or better they'd probably punt more and with how good the cover teams are maybe they'd get either more turnovers or just keep tilting the field position to the point where eventually they do get the points anyway. So many moving pieces in football it's impossible to say that without this it's this. 

That is a big fat maybe. Most CFL offenses move the ball when they're pinned deep. I'll go with the 45+ kicker every day of the week, and I dare say so would you.

1 hour ago, J5V said:
  • I'm hoping Walters paid close attention to this game today to see how much work he has to do to get us on an even footing with the best team in the league, then surpass it. 

They lost on a last play no time on the clock fg to a team who has 1 loss .. is unbeaten at home. 

They were on even footing and in the 2nd half were the much better team. All they have to do to beat Calgary is simple.... play 60 minutes. Calgary looked pretty beatable today and in the 2nd half the bombers exposed some flaws in tge stamps 

Edited by Goalie

Calgary looked unbeatable in the first half and they dropped a few passes that would have run the score way up out of reach. We played the better second half, but lost anyway. If Calgary had made the FG that hit the upright, our last TD wouldn't have mattered in the least. Neither would the last 20 seconds. They'd just have gone into victory formation.

Letting Calgary, without Grant, McDaniels and Messem get that last second FG was heartbreaking and it showed that Calgary is never out of a game. A lesson that BC found out a couple of games ago.

Calgary is ******* good....a class of their own......but I think we at least planted a seed now. 

One thing I've been curious about all through the win streak is "How is this team going to respond when they eventually do lose a game?" We've said for a long time, that this is a team of momentum. When good things happen, they can rally for a long time. When bad things happen, they can really steamroll downhill in a hurry. So, they lost to the Stamps....do they spiral into a loss cycle now? Or do they pick themselves back up and stomp the Esks at home next weekend?

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Calgary is ******* good....a class of their own......but I think we at least planted a seed now. 

One thing I've been curious about all through the win streak is "How is this team going to respond when they eventually do lose a game?" We've said for a long time, that this is a team of momentum. When good things happen, they can rally for a long time. When bad things happen, they can really steamroll downhill in a hurry. So, they lost to the Stamps....do they spiral into a loss cycle now? Or do they pick themselves back up and stomp the Esks at home next weekend?

I've been wondering the same thing. If the game had been over at the half, then I could see us losing a ton of confidence and maybe go into a 'death spiral', but the way we played the second half makes me think that the confidence is intact so I don't think we will see a loss cycle unless we lose to Edmonton too.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I would have been worried if they'd rolled over and died yesterday but fighting back as they did I have no doubts they'll come back stronger. 

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I've been wondering the same thing. If the game had been over at the half, then I could see us losing a ton of confidence and maybe go into a 'death spiral', but the way we played the second half makes me think that the confidence is intact so I don't think we will see a loss cycle unless we lose to Edmonton too.

You don't think Calgary let up after the first half, allowing us to claw our way back into it? I do.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

but they would have tightened up when the Bombers got within striking distance too. Football is a game of momentum and fighting to get it back is the key to winning. 

Letting up isn't necessarily a conscious decision. I think when the Stamps got up big they just let up a bit. It's natural. We are full credit for taking advantage. My concern is that if this is a playoff game, they keep their foot on our throats.

22 minutes ago, J5V said:

You don't think Calgary let up after the first half, allowing us to claw our way back into it? I do.

I do think they let up, but that's not the point. The Bombers players and fans can tell themselves that they played great in the second half and if they just played that well in the first half, they'd have killed the Stamps. That's what keeps the confidence intact.

We came out flatter than a pancake...can't do that against good teams....Is that on coaching???? I would say partly but the players have to wear some of that as well...Does this loss affect contract talks??? Shouldn't as we still have a long way to go in 16' ...IF all of the wheels fall off between now and our season ender then we certainly have to have a rethink about extensions...till then keep talking.

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

We came out flatter than a pancake...can't do that against good teams....Is that on coaching???? I would say partly but the players have to wear some of that as well...Does this loss affect contract talks??? Shouldn't as we still have a long way to go in 16' ...IF all of the wheels fall off between now and our season ender then we certainly have to have a rethink about extensions...till then keep talking.

There has to be a sort of seduction about being a second-half team. It would be tempting for players to not give their best at the start of the game on the assumption that they can always make it up in the second half. When up against a very good team ie: the Stamps, that can be fatal, and it was.

13 hours ago, J5V said:
  • I'm hoping Walters paid close attention to this game today to see how much work he has to do to get us on an even footing with the best team in the league, then surpass it. 

The turn around from 1 - 4 to 7 - 1 came very quickly and I don't think Walters had anything to do with it.

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

We came out flatter than a pancake...can't do that against good teams....Is that on coaching????

This is one sentiment that always drives me crazy, but it's so common that it's on the coaches to have the players ready to play.

I've never played pro sports, I wasn't even good enough for university, but I've played sports and I'm a competitive person. I can't think of one occasion playing sports where the coach "had us ready to play" in terms of focus and motivation. If you're a competitor that drive comes internally. If the players aren't ready to play a game pitting their 7 game streak against another teams 9 game streak, in my opinion that's on the players.

Just my opinion on that particular thought that comes up often in sport. Being ready to play is on the players, executing is on the players. Game planning and play calling is on the coaches. If guys are dropping passes or missing tackles that's on the players. If you're calling a 2 yard play on 2nd and long that's on the coach.

4 hours ago, J5V said:

Letting up isn't necessarily a conscious decision. I think when the Stamps got up big they just let up a bit. It's natural. We are full credit for taking advantage. My concern is that if this is a playoff game, they keep their foot on our throats.

Heaven forbid that some people would actually consider that maybe, the reason the Bombers did better is because...  wait for it... they actually played better.  

Na, far better to suggest that the other team "let up".  Works better for the "we suck" agenda

37 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

This is one sentiment that always drives me crazy, but it's so common that it's on the coaches to have the players ready to play.

I've never played pro sports, I wasn't even good enough for university, but I've played sports and I'm a competitive person. I can't think of one occasion playing sports where the coach "had us ready to play" in terms of focus and motivation. If you're a competitor that drive comes internally. If the players aren't ready to play a game pitting their 7 game streak against another teams 9 game streak, in my opinion that's on the players.

Just my opinion on that particular thought that comes up often in sport. Being ready to play is on the players, executing is on the players. Game planning and play calling is on the coaches. If guys are dropping passes or missing tackles that's on the players. If you're calling a 2 yard play on 2nd and long that's on the coach.

I agree with you to a certain extent....players better and should be ready to play every down (football ex.)...Coaching encompasses many facets of a game including mentally preparing your players...I don't know if O'Shea takes the locker room rah rah stuff seriously as he seems to come out with what seems to be a blasé attitude... He doesn't seem ready at times and needs to take smelling salts (seen it on a few occasions) to get him engaged or something...Could it be that it rubs off on the players??.. Maybe it's just me and what I see... The physical part should be a given and the coach knows who he has on his bench...I've been around sports all my life playing them and working in it...Individuals are all different and every coach has his way of dealing with things in his own way...Could be this coach (Mike O) gets the results he wants, preparing the way he wants...Can't argue with the recent success but it wasn't always that way...(see record of the last few years)...The team seems to need time to rev up...very rarely do I see us 'fly out of the gate"...We always seem to start very slow and in that last game against Cal. that extended to the second half...You tell me why that is???? 

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

but they would have tightened up when the Bombers got within striking distance too. Football is a game of momentum and fighting to get it back is the key to winning. 

I fully expected the Stamps to wake up and reassert their control just before they gave away the Bass TD.  Fortunately that play swung the momentum further in the Bombers favour and they rode it until the last 30 seconds of the game.  That last Nichols drive was very well executed and showed what this O is capable of without any assistance from the officials, the Stamps D just could not stop them.  I believe even If the field had been 200 yds. long Nichols would have just kept marching until he scored.

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I agree with you to a certain extent....players better and should be ready to play every down (football ex.)...Coaching encompasses many facets of a game including mentally preparing your players...I don't know if O'Shea takes the locker room rah rah stuff seriously as he seems to come out with what seems to be a blasé attitude... He doesn't seem ready at times and needs to take smelling salts (seen it on a few occasions) to get him engaged or something...Could it be that it rubs off on the players??.. Maybe it's just me and what I see... The physical part should be a given and the coach knows who he has on his bench...I've been around sports all my life playing them and working in it...Individuals are all different and every coach has his way of dealing with things in his own way...Could be this coach (Mike O) gets the results he wants, preparing the way he wants...Can't argue with the recent success but it wasn't always that way...(see record of the last few years)...The team seems to need time to rev up...very rarely do I see us 'fly out of the gate"...We always seem to start very slow and in that last game against Cal. that extended to the second half...You tell me why that is???? 

For most games during the streak, we did have a good first quarter. 

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

I'm worried that this could become an extended losing streak... I really want us to go 3-3 including yesterday.