CFL End Week 7 - Edmonton @ Ottawa

Mr Dee

That game was hard to watch. Ottawa took 14 accepted penalties for 204 yards, while Edmonton chipped in with 13 for 105. Add in stoppages for turnovers and challenges and you end up with a close yawn fest. The Burris rant and the amount of punishment Reilly can take were the highlights.

BTW when did they change the rule on hitting the upright on a FG? Used to be if you hit it and it went in you got 3. Hit it and it went into or through the end zone you get 1. Hit it and it comes back out and you get nothing. Now you get nothing if you hit it and it goes in or through the end zone. Could have been the difference in this game.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

That game was hard to watch. Ottawa took 14 accepted penalties for 204 yards, while Edmonton chipped in with 13 for 105. Add in stoppages for turnovers and challenges and you end up with a close yawn fest. The Burris rant and the amount of punishment Reilly can take were the highlights.

BTW when did they change the rule on hitting the upright on a FG? Used to be if you hit it and it went in you got 3. Hit it and it went into or through the end zone you get 1. Hit it and it comes back out and you get nothing. Now you get nothing if you hit it and it goes in or through the end zone. Could have been the difference in this game.

I was flipping back and forth between this and the Jays game. I can't sit through that many penalties for a non-Bomber game.

not sure what your referring to, must have missed that field goal attempt - my understanding was 3 if it deflects in, dead ball otherwise.

9 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Burris has been successful where ever he has gone. He has earned the right to talk trash. More folks have talked crap about him than he has been critical. I don't know how many times folks here have dissed him only to have him prove he isn't just some schmoe. Yeah he can be a bit self absorbed but there are a lot of players that are very confident of their abilities.

Some people define success in championships and in that category Burris is a choker.

10 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Burris has been successful where ever he has gone. He has earned the right to talk trash. More folks have talked crap about him than he has been critical. I don't know how many times folks here have dissed him only to have him prove he isn't just some schmoe. Yeah he can be a bit self absorbed but there are a lot of players that are very confident of their abilities.

And if you do not think you are among the best, then you probably aren't. Egos drive success, like it or not.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

There's thinking you're the best and then there's thinking you're the best and whining about how mean people are to you because they won't stroke your ego.  Burris has always been a whiner.  

But a darned good whiner who would be welcomed here in place of Willy.

11 hours ago, Mark F said:

how'd you do?  Lake wpg?

LW was weak at Vic Beach... Water so warm, bite was slow. Made a trip out to Whitemud at Westbourne and did well. Cats, Bullhead and Drum. No Eyes for us on shore but the guys trolling bottom bouncers did well! 

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

Lol!! What a ******* tool. If there's one thing I hate in life, it's people with big egos. 

All right Noeller.. Don't play the laughing boy. There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

19 hours ago, tracker said:

And if you do not think you are among the best, then you probably aren't. Egos drive success, like it or not.

This is true, but there's knowing you're a part of the best, and then there's "wanting" to be acknowledge as part of the best. The wanting part is what takes ego over the top and comes across as whinny. Burris is a good QB and he's always come off as someone who wants to tell everyone that.

20 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The greatest players don't need to tell everyone how great they are... 

I would say a more accurate way to say it is that the best players don't need everyone else to talk about how great they are. Burris is such a suck it's not even funny. A huge phony as well. The second something is hard or doesn't go well it's not his fault but when things are going well he's more than happy to take all the credit. I don't care if he is a better player than what we have here I never wanted that tool on the Bombers. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I would say a more accurate way to say it is that the best players don't need everyone else to talk about how great they are. Burris is such a suck it's not even funny. A huge phony as well. The second something is hard or doesn't go well it's not his fault but when things are going well he's more than happy to take all the credit. I don't care if he is a better player than what we have here I never wanted that tool on the Bombers. 

totally agree... I know using 2 of the all-time greats is an extreme example but I always think of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning... These guys never, ever talk about how great they are... and they generally get embarrassed or try to brush it off when others remind them how great they are...

23 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Some people define success in championships and in that category Burris is a choker.

There are lots of good QBs that could be classed in that group too then. Burris has more championship rings and maybe even playoff appearances than Winnipeg has had.

20 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

There are lots of good QBs that could be classed in that group too then. Burris has more championship rings and maybe even playoff appearances than Winnipeg has had.

He's got one win as a starter in Grey Cups and he is probably lucky that game was played inside rather than outside. All the regular season accolades he's had and only one cup? That's not good. That's only a broken arm difference than noted choker Kevin Glenn. 

Burris might be talented but he's a *****. always has been, always will be. 

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

The greatest players don't need to tell everyone how great they are... 

Kobe Bryant, Muhammed Ali, Brett Favre etc etc would provide proof to the contrary. Talent and class seem to be completely different things.