Game Day Thread: vs Montreal Alouettes -- Friday, June 24th

Noeller

Remember the Phillip Hunt vs. Simeon Rottier game on opening day 2010?  When Hunt buried Glenn over and over because Rottier just could not deal with him? That is what I would like to see.

As a fan of the whole league, I'm interested to see what Cato looks like after a year of experience and Calvillo coaching. Is he gonna progress or has he hit his ceiling already?

Edited by johnzo

It's funny how exactly these teams match up -- both teams have pocket passers with questionable OL and a pedigreed receiving corps.  Both teams have fearsome (on paper) front sevens and secondaries that have some question marks. Even the kickers look like a wash -- Bede was a 90% kicker last year. 

Only daylight I see between them is that I like our RB better, but I don't know how healthy our RB is.

Edited by johnzo

4 minutes ago, White Out said:

Not to start off negative already, but, this is a no win for me. Montreal should be the worst team in the league and we start off at home against them. Our schedule gets very tough; this is a must win.

If we lose? Good lord.

Bullshit...Riders *should* be the worst team in the league. I don't think BC will be a whole lot better. Ottawa could just as easily fall back to earth after last year's fluke....Toronto didn't look like any hot hell last night. There is no reason Montreal couldn't be 2nd in the East this year...

11 minutes ago, White Out said:

Not to start off negative already, but, this is a no win for me. Montreal should be the worst team in the league and we start off at home against them. Our schedule gets very tough; this is a must win.

If we lose? Good lord.

Here's a post that really didn't need to see the the light of day, but all things considered, I'm not surprised the "submit" button got pressed.

Edited by WBBFanWest

It's a very interesting match up tonight.

Our suspect O line vs their excellent front 7. Their suspect O line vs our excellent front 7. Both QB's should be running for their lives, getting hit or getting the ball out quickly. Both offenses are based on quick throws and the receiver or RB making folks miss.

Our QB is coming off a huge injury and is very inexperienced. Their QB is one of the most experienced QB's in the league, but's been the definition of average his entire career.

Both teams have a good receiving core, although I'd give the Als an edge here. Both defenses are starting two rookie DB's. Our 2 are beside each other which is a disadvantage compared to the Als who have them both at Corner. 

We have home advantage. They have more experience.

I'm hoping we win and that it's an interesting game unlike last nights which was pretty much over at the end of the first quarter. 

50 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Bullshit...Riders *should* be the worst team in the league. I don't think BC will be a whole lot better. Ottawa could just as easily fall back to earth after last year's fluke....Toronto didn't look like any hot hell last night. There is no reason Montreal couldn't be 2nd in the East this year...

Yes, if Durant gets hurt. But a healthy Durant and Riders aren't as terrible as the Als. Lets not pretend that last year the Riders were on a 3rd string QB most of the year.

48 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Here's a post that really didn't need to see the the light of day, but all things considered, I'm not surprised the "submit" button got pressed.

It's a perfectly legitimate point. Montreal is likely the worst team in the league this season, only better than SSK if Durant gets knocked out. This is a "show me" season if there ever was one for Walters and MOS. A home loss to start the season with our schedule tightening up like it does is a terrible way to start.

Riders have questions marks at RB, and their receiving corps is ok on paper - but not a lot of CFL catches to their credit.  NO backup QB at all - Durant goes down and its katybarthedoor. 

Their front 7 on D has to be better, than last year....but secondary has some real question marks as well.

yeah, and no knock on Durant's football intelligence, which I have no ability to evaluate, but for me what made the guy special was his athleticism and especially his escapability.  Not a lot of QBs around who can shrug off DTs like he did in his prime. It'll be interesting to see if he still has that and if he doesn't, how it impacts his game.

Edited by johnzo