Bombers Opener June 24 ... (also Laine Day!)

IC Khari

Just now, iso_55 said:

Willy showed no leadership. Nothing. I don't have any confidence he's the answer.

Great seven games to start 2014, starts to struggle and gets hurt. Comes back and looks shell shocked, also gets outplayed by Brian brohm and Robert Marve. Comes out for the first games of 2015 and plays great for the most part but can't stay healthy again albeit our awful Oline didn't help. Then he comes out this year and apparently didn't look good throughout training camp, and was our worst QB throughout the pre season along with a horrible opening game. He's unpredictable at best that's for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Would that OL be starting?  Or would it be couture backing up still? 

Some of you are a bit salty tonight. Time for bed for me 

Yeah, cuz a good night's sleep is gonna change that abortion we witnessed on the field this past evening.

Also, I would like to have that thing they call "home-field advantage". I didn't think that 1 win outta ever four games counts as an advantage. Perhaps for visitors?

And damn... I think Drew might be the issue all these past years... 

Or is he just so gun-shy after being fed to the wolves week-in and week out under Marcel's scheme that we is broken now?

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Just now, Blueandgold said:

Great seven games to start 2014, starts to struggle and gets hurt. Comes back and looks shell shocked, also gets outplayed by Brian brohm and Robert Marve. Comes out for the first games of 2015 and plays great for the most part but can't stay healthy again albeit our awful Oline didn't help. Then he comes out this year and apparently didn't look good throughout training camp, and was our worst QB throughout the pre season along with a horrible opening game. He's unpredictable at best that's for sure. 

He's been ruined.

5 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Go talk on Esks Fans.

Nah, rather talk here. Like getting you mad. It's sooo easy. I can post "hey Iso, hows it' going today" and you'll get all mad. Tell me, ever post anything positive? Reading the Ham/Tor thread  - well you should read it. Negative negative negative. Life's too short to such a neg nanny. Can't you just enjoy a good play instead of finding the negativity in things? I feel sorry for you

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I get that everyone has their opinions as to what went wrong tonight/what is wrong with the team and they're entitled to that regardless of how incorrect they are in terms of legitimately understanding the X's and O's of the game and what they're actually watching.

So with that it's refreshing the select few that actually understand what's going on and why this team has issues. Well said JBR.

I sure hope you aren't insinuating that Willy was not at fault in parts of this game.  The poor throw to Smith in the end zone and the fumbled snap on third down while the game was still in reach - albeit a long shot even then - had nothing to do with a porous offensive line.

1 hour ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I get that everyone has their opinions as to what went wrong tonight/what is wrong with the team and they're entitled to that regardless of how incorrect they are in terms of legitimately understanding the X's and O's of the game and what they're actually watching.

So with that it's refreshing the select few that actually understand what's going on and why this team has issues. Well said JBR.

ah yes, the good old argument of "hey we just know better"

if you watched that game, and, all of drew willys games since he became a starter for us, and you think the big issue is the O line... good luck. drew willy isnt good enough or smart enough. the pressure he endures is a product of a combination of a troubled O line, and more importantly, his own inability to make quick reads

i feel like one would have to watch the games with their eyes closed to not see his panic on a nearly down by down basis.

btw how was Harris behind that horrible O line tonight? surely he did terrible?

Edited by White Out

43 minutes ago, White Out said:

ah yes, the good old argument of "hey we just know better"

if you watched that game, and, all of drew willys games since he became a starter for us, and you think the big issue is the O line... good luck. drew willy isnt good enough or smart enough. the pressure he endures is a product of a combination of a troubled O line, and more importantly, his own inability to make quick reads

i feel like one would have to watch the games with their eyes closed to not see his panic on a nearly down by down basis.

btw how was Harris behind that horrible O line tonight? surely he did terrible?

Double like.

OL seemed pretty decent... even with Neufeld and Hardrick - neither of which I really think are the best talent out there...

Willy had time, Harris blocked well, Jace Davis even blocked...  but when the OL has trouble Willy crumbles.

1 hour ago, KptKrunch said:

Nah, rather talk here. Like getting you mad. It's sooo easy. I can post "hey Iso, hows it' going today" and you'll get all mad. Tell me, ever post anything positive? Reading the Ham/Tor thread  - well you should read it. Negative negative negative. Life's too short to such a neg nanny. Can't you just enjoy a good play instead of finding the negativity in things? I feel sorry for you

Wow, you feel sorry for me. I'm touched. Nah, I just don't respect a guy like you.

4 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Wow, you feel sorry for me. I'm touched. Nah, I just don't respect a guy like you.

Awesome - glad I'm not on here to earn you respect. Nice to know you read my posts though :) 

And yes, I post on the eskfans site too. I loved the 13th man and hung out there all the time but for some reason folks stopped going there. 

Willy stunk, the rest of the team was good enough to win the game. I counted 3 steamboats just about every down before Willy would eat it, he wasn't reacting quick enough and even when he does the pass was usually off target. He has no escapability from the pocket, wasn't keeping his eyes down field or extending plays with his legs. He's pretty much a one trick pocket passer.

If this level of incompetent play continues, there will be a change of head coach by Labour Day or soon after, and a wholesale bloodbath at the end of the season. I think Walters has done reasonably well as a GM, but even he may not be safe as the wrath of the fans will be apocalyptic.

Edited by tracker

44 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Willy stunk, the rest of the team was good enough to win the game. I counted 3 steamboats just about every down before Willy would eat it, he wasn't reacting quick enough and even when he does the pass was usually off target. He has no escapability from the pocket, wasn't keeping his eyes down field or extending plays with his legs. He's pretty much a one trick pocket passer.

From what I watched and maybe game tape will show something else and as you say in a different way, this was not on the OL tonight.

Neil Thorpe outplayed Lapo. Chip Cox is still a beast.

IF the Als. were supposed to be a bad team and occupy the basement, where the hell does that leave us...Willy stunk the joint out...People were saying he didn't look good in camp and he continues to regress..I wouldn't keep him behind centre if he starts the next game like he did this one...'Short leash' him and give Nichols a shot...I don't know if it will be much of an improvement but we have to shake this guy up...Franklin is available apparently in Edm.....Maybe we should be the ones inquiring instead of the riders...Other than Harris, Jace Davis, and Randle and to some extent Ryan Smith we looked like crap to put it mildly...Medlock atoned for his first miss with the 58 yarder and looked alright...after that...not much...I know we'll hear the same ol story....it takes time to jell...Well that is true to some extent but I know one thing...the patience in Bomberland is wearing awful thin and if this club plays like this in the next 5 games, we'll be O-fer  and Mike O better start packing his bags.

9 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Defence and Special Teams contributed important game-winning points in those first 7 games that year. If not for that, we're 3-15 for 2014. The problem is MOS anointed Willy starter back in Feb 2014 without real QB competition. As you say Willy has shown a few flashes. But IMHO not enough to justify his $400k or starter status. When you say unpredictable at best, I fear that flatters him.

I didn't see much difference between the teams..except in one area. 

Both teams had exceptional pressure on the QB.                                                   Both teams played decently on defence.

The kicking was even. We did better on returns. (We had more)             Montreal was undisciplined and we didn't take advantage.

The running game was even.      

Montreal's BIG advantage was at QB. Kevin Glenn was outstanding. He executed the really nice game plan almost flawlessly, even under extreme duress. The stats are going to show 4 sacks to 0, but that is misleading. IMO, only 1 sack should have been on the O-line..on a missed stunt, the one on the almost safety.

Deflated ball of the game easily goes to Drew Willy for that awful performance. When he wasn't getting easily sacked and he did read the blitz, he either threw to the wrong guy (interception) or missed the guy completely. I don't think I've seen as many missed opportunities as Willy missed - for big yardage and probably 2 TDs.

Glenn didn't miss his throws, and that shows the big difference. With that 1st half performance by Willy, we never stood a chance. And no, the O-Line wasn't to blame. Glenn had the same issues. IMO, Nichols should have played because Willy was nowhere near having the touch.

Time to put BIG pressure on Willy to perform..before it's too late. We simply cannot start every game like this.

Oh, and a big game ball to Randle last night. He was outstanding.

In case anyone wants to go through the bother and look, the Free Press downgraded its coverage in the Saturday edition to a one-page blurb that could have been written by someone who watched only the TSN highlights. No real depth at all- sort of adding "meh" to injury.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

In case anyone wants to go through the bother and look, the Free Press downgraded its coverage in the Saturday edition to a one-page blurb that could have been written by someone who watched only the TSN highlights. No real depth at all- sort of adding "meh" to injury.

Possibly tired to covering the bad news Bombers.  They wanted to cover the good news story of the day with the Jets' draft.

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Double like.

OL seemed pretty decent... even with Neufeld and Hardrick - neither of which I really think are the best talent out there...

Willy had time, Harris blocked well, Jace Davis even blocked...  but when the OL has trouble Willy crumbles.

5 sacks, none coverage. hit double digit times. Yeah lots of time...

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

5 sacks, none coverage. hit double digit times. Yeah lots of time...

You see? That's why Bob Wylie gets mad. Sacks blamed on his O-line. 

One sack for Willy's fumble, and I can think of at least 2 more times,where Willy could have, and should have got rid of the ball. The only sack I believe was totally on the O-line was deep in our zone where they threw a stunt at us and we handled it poorly. Ended in a safety. I cannot remember the last sack, by then I was in a stunned frame of mind.

Just now, Mr Dee said:

You see? That's why Bob Wylie gets mad. Sacks blamed on his O-line. 

One sack for Willy's fumble, and I can think of at least 2 more times,where Willy could have, and should have got rid of the ball. The only sack I believe was totally on the O-line was deep in our zone where they threw a stunt at us and we handled it poorly. Ended in a safety. I cannot remember the last sack, by then I was in a stunned frame of mind.

you should re watch the game then. Because he was sacked twice up the middle with in 2 seconds of the snap. When we are throwing short passes the entire game and still giving up sacks, thats not the qb holding the ball too long.