Throw the ball downfield

BigBlue

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Well, this was a good attempt, but because we already have a poster that wants Willy cut and cut now, this post cannot be nominated for dumbest post of the year.  It can however receive honourable mention in the "let's not really think things through after a loss, panic and post award" for the month of June.

Let's see:  Willy has not played football since last August.  In the first pre-season game, he was very limited in the number of reps he got.  That means that essentially, he was coming in cold for the Ottawa game, working with new receivers in a new system and yet he didn't light it up and look like the second coming of Ricky Ray.  I for one am shocked and dismayed.  Clearly the entire team needs to disband immediately and we must all declare our undying loyalty to the Eskimos.

Seriously, take a chill pill, wait for a few games and then see where we are.

Although you are correct, everything you list is an excuse.

Ottawa/burris were in the same situation. new OC/ New recruits and they executed well.

I was optomistic, but now i have a seed of doubt in my mind as didn't Burke say that we will be ready to play game 1 and that pre-season is all about evaluation? .. that failed horribly.. not suggesting this is the case at all, but i was expecting to see alot better results from the first team offence. 

The d-fence had an excuse as alot of starters stayed at home.. Not so much on the offence. If we are counting on Dressler to make such a large difference that he turns around the offence for us, then we are going to be very sad when and if he is ever hurt.

I'm not overly concerned, but i have an uneasy feeling creeping in.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_x said:

Although you are correct, everything you list is an excuse.

Ottawa/burris were in the same situation. new OC/ New recruits and they executed well.

I was optomistic, but now i have a seed of doubt in my mind as didn't Burke say that we will be ready to play game 1 and that pre-season is all about evaluation? .. that failed horribly.. not suggesting this is the case at all, but i was expecting to see alot better results from the first team offence. 

The d-fence had an excuse as alot of starters stayed at home.. Not so much on the offence. If we are counting on Dressler to make such a large difference that he turns around the offence for us, then we are going to be very sad when and if he is ever hurt.

I'm not overly concerned, but i have an uneasy feeling creeping in.

A couple of things to point out.  Burris has more experience that anyone else in the league, so the fact that he's able to get up to speed quickly should not be surprising.  Also, I recall seeing Burris playing right through the season last year, not finishing his season in August.  I know that's the case because I can remember Burris whining that people  were being so mean every time someone hit him.  Willy though, finished his season in August, so there's a lot more rust to shake off.  Again, I recognize that the O didn't look like world beaters yesterday, but it's early, too early to start the hand wringing stuff.  Because you know what?  Burke is right, the pre-season is all about evaluation so let's just see what we'll see once the bodies start flying for real.

Just listening to the coach's show on cjob. Hearing the same thing as I heard all last year, nothing!. On the note of this tread can someone please explain to me why we defend poor performance from Willy stating it is only pre season, he hasn't played since last fall etc etc yet those other QBs that we play against are in the same boar aren't they? How come they can perform aka Glenn, Burris. Yes they have been in the league longer however they too have not played since last year. I wish we would simply call it like it is - he did not perform well for whatever excuse, not reason, you want to insert. He has to get it together quickly. I have stated what I believe to be his shortcomings back to last year so unless he can correct those, we will be in trouble because Mike Stubborn will not take him out.

Well, like I said on another thread - he was 5 and 1 to start his career here, then the wheels fell off. One stat shown last week that IMO speaks volumes is he's played 24 games for the Bombers  and he's thrown 22 TD passes. That pretty much says it all right there a lot better than I can say. But this is the year his 'big' contract kicks in. I can't recall the details (oh, maybe it kicked it last year) so I'm curious to see how he does. IMO - the time is now and the pressure is on. Anxious to see how he does this year when the real season starts.

Oh, btw 'RUST'. Give me a break. Go ask Drew Willy how 'rusty' he is. No one has played a 'game' since November and they are all training hard in the off season - if he was coming back in mid August when everyone has already played 10 games, then you can play the 'rust' card. 

Edited by KptKrunch

1 hour ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Just listening to the coach's show on cjob. Hearing the same thing as I heard all last year, nothing!. On the note of this tread can someone please explain to me why we defend poor performance from Willy stating it is only pre season, he hasn't played since last fall etc etc yet those other QBs that we play against are in the same boar aren't they? How come they can perform aka Glenn, Burris. Yes they have been in the league longer however they too have not played since last year. I wish we would simply call it like it is - he did not perform well for whatever excuse, not reason, you want to insert. He has to get it together quickly. I have stated what I believe to be his shortcomings back to last year so unless he can correct those, we will be in trouble because Mike Stubborn will not take him out.

So you'd rather us be like Montreal and just keep pulling our QB's out and putting in someone else cause that worked so well for them.

Most coaches don't pull their starter even if they're losing. So I wish people would quit harping on Mike for keeping his starter in the game. 

And people tend to enjoy overlooking the Oline and point fingers directly at the QB. I'm not saying Willy isn't at fault, but he's not the only one out there. 

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Burke was honest... 

Not really... he kept saying "We have to check the film to see what happened" to a point that Irving and Zalnasky could barely keep themselves from either laughing or mumbling the obvious when interviewing him post game.

O'Shea definitely keeps quiet to the public...  but if we are to believe Mike he is very vocal behind closed doors.  I tend to think that this is true because unlike the years with Burke and LaPo as the head coach... the players actually seem to give a **** and look like they care about winning.

35 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Not really... he kept saying "We have to check the film to see what happened" to a point that Irving and Zalnasky could barely keep themselves from either laughing or mumbling the obvious when interviewing him post game.

O'Shea definitely keeps quiet to the public...  but if we are to believe Mike he is very vocal behind closed doors.  I tend to think that this is true because unlike the years with Burke and LaPo as the head coach... the players actually seem to give a **** and look like they care about winning.

In interviews, when crap goes wrong, he looks like he's trying to keep his head from exploding the whole time he's talking.  The guy looks like a rager when the doors close.  But I could be wrong.  So I definitely agree with those who say he keeps quiet to the public.

Edited by Logan007

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

MOS is exactly what you want out of a head man, in so much as he's calm and easy in public, but behind closed doors, isn't afraid to tear people apart and kick some asses...

Yeah like that.  I didn't mean a rageaholic.  But he's definitely a master of keeping his cool in front of media.  But there are times where it looks like his top is going to blow.  I just wouldn't want to be behind those closed doors when it happens.

11 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Yeah like that.  I didn't mean a rageaholic.  But he's definitely a master of keeping his cool in front of media.  But there are times where it looks like his top is going to blow.  I just wouldn't want to be behind those closed doors when it happens.

I remember when MOS first got here Lawless wrote a piece describing MOS as a rager and that it was going to be a challenge for Mike to keep a lid on it. I think he's done a good job of doing exactly that.

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

O'Shea isn't a "rager", but I would say that he is intense and passionate.   The difference is that he keeps in under control.

Agree with you here. We see him holding back and pretty intense in every other interview. He certainly isnt a rager but he isnt doug berry either.

With reference to the comment that we want to be like Montreal, no I don't want us to be like Montreal but I do want a HC that recognizes that his starter is not performing or doing well and that perhaps a series or two on the bench for a different perspective might help. Taking a player out doesn't mean taking him out for the entire game. I recall that Bud Grant did this, Wally Buono did this, Chris Jones did this, even Hufnagel did it so there has to be some merit in it. If the QB isn't moving the team give him a break and the opposition a different look. It is surprising what an effect it has not only to your own players but the opposition. I have watched too many games with Oshea as HC where we were being blown out and he continued to stick with Willy. Why not take him out and give him a break while at the same time giving the backups some playing time. Equate it to pulling a goalie when he isn't play well. It isn't shameful it can be beneficial to everyone. Do you think he doesn't pull some other position that isn't playing well? If you do perhaps we should watch the game more closely. Let's just see what year 3 presents us. Hopefully our 'rookie' head coach has now learned about head coaching and we will see the results.